weekly Holryns 2014 52 A slight addition and retirement!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, a little behind already (been a busy week!!)

I haven't done this since 2010 but I enjoyed the challenge last time out.

First up is Week 0 - Odd

This was taken and (mostly) edited on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (edited with Snapseed) with a few tweaks in PhotoShop.

Week00-Odd
by Holryn, on Flickr

I really like the your "Odd" interpretation focusing on the numbers and the idea behind the gearstick really works with me. The only thing that does catch my eye a bit are the reflections on the left hand side, maybe because they are in focus they're more noticeable.

I like both of these images - the odd numbers on the gear stick stand out nicely - agree with Matt about the reflections though.

Not sure what it is about lines, but I like it.

Really like the "Line" image - it has a real abstract feel to it.

Not too sure about the image for week 0. I think it's a fantastic idea, but to my eye it seems that the gears "5" and "6" are highlighted, not the odd ones. Maybe this could be solved by somehow causing the highlight to fall on the top of the gearstick in the frame, rather than the right hand side.

Odd - Really like it, maybe a tiny bit less dof would tighten it up a bit but that's being picky. I can see why alet has said 5 and 6 are highlighted but I think the 6 is just out of focus enough to make 3 and 5 the numbers which jump out.

Line - simple but effective really, nice and clean and I like the way it goes from light to dark.

ODD- I would have left the even numbers in on the gearstick put perhaps put them in shadow somehow or blurred them slightly. Nice idea though
Lines- Fits the theme but needs to be in focus.

Hi, Odd, nicely on theme and well composed. Not too keen on the darker area lower left or the highlight on the centre left.

Lines, again on theme and a minimal take. I'd prefer it reversed, that is in focus to OOF.

Good start.

Cheers.

Hi, both good shots and on theme odd being the stand out image for me, nicely lit

Hi Paul & belated welcome back to the madhouse from me :wave:

Odd...like it , simple , effective , good use of negative space & the focus on the odd numbers :clap:

Lines ...think I'm with Andy on this one re the start in focus lead out to OOF...but then again maybe not.....& I'm quite partial to abstracts so it works either I think (y)

Excellent image for 'lines' (y) works very well for me, starting oof, leading into focus :)

Odd - Nice shot with mono. I can though see a reflection of something on left side.
Lines - Really like this very abstract. i like the way the narrowing lines into focus almost seem to stretch the frame. (y)

Thanks for all the replies. The Odd shot was a quick grab while I was at work . The Line shot is a radiator shot with my 50mm.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to keep up with this project due to various commitments and complications so I will gracefully retire.
But before I hang up the challenge I will add a couple of shots I did earlier but haven't had a chance to post:

Week 3 - Close

Week 4 - Bubble ( and alternative crop)

Keep up the good work!

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, hopefully you can see the photos now - I forgot to make them visible in Flickr!

David, thank you. Really struggled to pick up the camera recently because of various other things getting in the way and was hoping this project would have changed that. I really enjoyed doing the project before, so I may dip in every so often if I get the chance.

Thanks again.

Paul

Back