1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Make it all up at once. During transport between the factory and you, the different density ingredients will partially separate out and if you make up a part of the powder there is a very high likelihood that the resulting solution will not have the correct proportions of the several ingredients. You will then be wondering why you cannot get consistent results in your development.

abdoujaparov likes this.
  2. abdoujaparov

abdoujaparov

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Great, thanks! (Haven't bought any yet, I guess I need a smaller packet)

3. StephenM

StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Use the whole packet. The contents are a mixture of different chemicals, and you can't be certain that the distribution is even throughout.

That's the conventional answer that always used to be given, and I doubt that the formulation has changed. In practice, it would probably be approximately correct if you split, and it therefore would depend on how approximate you're happy to be.

4. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just devved a film, in my usual Ilfosol 3. Before starting, I noticed that the made-up fixer appeared to have a lot of black deposit around it, so I discarded it, rinsed out and made up a new batch. When it came to fix time, I noticed there was a film of greyish powder on the top of the new stuff. I thought that would make scanning very difficult, so discarded it again, and this time scrubbed out the fixer pot, getting rid of as much of the black deposit as I could, then made up another new batch. This time it seemed to be OK.

I'm guessing this was silver from the fixer deposited on the pot?