Hyster's 52 (Night added)

I always like pictures with silver objects in them and this is no exception. Nice subject well executed, well done :clap: :clap:

Your Letter picture made me LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I know this sounds like a cop out but I just love everything about it. :love:

Duo - what a great present, excellent DoF and love the composition too. Lighting is spot on too :clap::clap::clap:

hehe cool DoF is spot on mate :clap:

Thank you :)

Hey - film camera cuff links. Very smart :D

Seriously, a great Duo - and I hope your lovely thoughtful wife was duly thanked. :)

Jean

She is pretty fab , thanks Jean.

I always like pictures with silver objects in them and this is no exception. Nice subject well executed, well done :clap: :clap:

Oh how funky are those!
Really like the DOF on these, and it fits the theme spot on, without a question

I was really chuffed with them, thanks for your comment.

Your Letter picture made me LOL

I know this sounds like a cop out but I just love everything about it. :love:

Duo - what a great present, excellent DoF and love the composition too. Lighting is spot on too

You are very kind, thank you. :)

I love cuff links and would wear them all the time but as I hate anything round my wrists double cuffs are reserved for special occasions. These are fab, where did you find them?

Anyway the shot - I think it's great, the DoF, composition and exposure is all spot on

Thanks Simon for your comment, The cufflinks were in a little gift shop in St Andrews in Fife, the makers name on the box was "Onyx-art" if you decide to have a hunt for a pair.

Hey! what an excellent find, and a great idea for the theme! :) i like it! good job to get that tiny DOF on such a small subject. (y)
What Lens? any macro filters?

Hey! what an excellent find, and a great idea for the theme! :) i like it! good job to get that tiny DOF on such a small subject. (y)
What Lens? any macro filters?

Cheers for the nice comment.

The lens was my 50mm f1.8 with one of my Jessops extension tubes fitted so I could fill the frame and achieve the right amount dof.

I've had some great fun with that lens and the tubes, highly recommend them.

The lens was my 50mm f1.8 with one of my Jessops extension tubes fitted so I could fill the frame and achieve the right amount dof.
:) I thought u were gonna say it was a nifty ;) really need to get myself one of them. still trying to convince the other half that i NEED the 70-300 i just bought whilst trying to pay off a wedding! :LOL:

How cool is your wife for getting those?? Very nice shot indeed and great take on the theme.

Week 16

Longing

Isawamouse.jpg

Better late than never, shot a few different ones but the wife liked this one best.

I love it, what a sweetie that mouse is, and how clever to give an inanimate object feelings. it really does look like its pleading for the cheese!!

The focussing is fab with the cheese just hinted at alongside the clarity of the mouse.

super :clap: :clap: :clap:

I love it, what a sweetie that mouse is, and how clever to give an inanimate object feelings. it really does look like its pleading for the cheese!!

The focussing is fab with the cheese just hinted at alongside the clarity of the mouse.

super :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the kind words (y)

He He He that's another great idea...(y)

The small and tiny thing that I would change would to have seen the cheese a bit more in focus. It looks a little bit like fishfingers to me...

Opologies for the slight negitive reply... but you have still got a brilliant shot there Sir...:clap::clap::clap:

:LOL: :clap::clap... Brilliant, great idea and well implemented too.

How did I miss your duo - I love it and I want a pair :) where did Mrs Hyster buy them :)

I had considered cufflinks as I had my tux on last week but too late :)

Its a great shot - dof is lovely!

And longing is great too - I think, as said above, the cheese more in focus would have improved it a tad but its still well thought out and executed :)

Good stuff :)

This made me laugh out loud :LOL: What a longing pose from the mouse. Apart from wanting a tiny little more clarity on the cheese it's fab :clap::clap:

This made me laugh out loud :LOL: What a longing pose from the mouse. Apart from wanting a tiny little more clarity on the cheese it's fab :clap::clap:

:agree:

Week 17

Dark

Dark.jpg

.......and I would be interested of your thoughts of this

Reshootlonging.jpg

Cheers for the comments, really respect the fact that people have become a little more critical in the last week. I genuinely believe this whole thing would be a wasted opportunity if we are not honest with one another.(y)

I already know you are a fantastic bunch so you don't have to be nice, be honest, brutally if need be.

Like I keep saying, its the only way I will learn.

love the longing that mouse is so cute, the cheese grater works well too imo.

dark is well composed and nicley exposed :)

Dark, Superb shot (y) Well and evenly lit, well composed and just a hint of reflection in the darkness around the card.. and of course the ace of spades being quite dark in and of itself. The only thing I noticed and it's really small, there appears to be some dirt around the top right corner of the card, I probably wouldn't have noticed it had it been on one of the other corners, but that corner is very prominent.

I like the mouse, although it doesn't appear to be longing anymore, more smug...

Dark, Superb shot (y) Well and evenly lit, well composed and just a hint of reflection in the darkness around the card.. and of course the ace of spades being quite dark in and of itself. The only thing I noticed and it's really small, there appears to be some dirt around the top right corner of the card, I probably wouldn't have noticed it had it been on one of the other corners, but that corner is very prominent.

I like the mouse, although it doesn't appear to be longing anymore, more smug...

Cheers for your comments, I can see what you mean about the corner.

Can i ask you to expand on why the mouse is smug, cheers for your reaction to the pic, I could not quite put my finger on what I did not like about it.

Really like the Dark shot, done that very well.

That little mouse makes me go 'ahh' and laugh all at the same time, I think it works well with the grater. I can just see he's looking at the cheese that's about to be grated and land infront of him[which is quite shocking really considering he's a model :LOL:]

Longing - that actually made me laugh - very clever, I think the cheese could have been a touch more in focus but it is still a great shot.

Dark - Good composition, nice and simple :clap:

Longing Reshoot - I'm a bit disturbed by this the idea of a mouse with a sharp cheese grater isn't good - I think it actually needs some cheese to make the image.

Duo , really well composed and a nice surprise for you.

Longing, as above really well composed, with the added benefit of making me laugh.:LOL:

Dark, took me a moment to get it. :bonk:
I'd be interested to know how you achieved this shot.

All in all three very good weeks for you I think.(y)

Really like the Dark shot, done that very well.

That little mouse makes me go 'ahh' and laugh all at the same time, I think it works well with the grater. I can just see he's looking at the cheese that's about to be grated and land infront of him[which is quite shocking really considering he's a model :LOL:]

Thank you.

Longing - that actually made me laugh - very clever, I think the cheese could have been a touch more in focus but it is still a great shot.

Dark - Good composition, nice and simple :clap:

Longing Reshoot - I'm a bit disturbed by this the idea of a mouse with a sharp cheese grater isn't good - I think it actually needs some cheese to make the image.

Thanks Simon, wasn't sure of the grater shot myself, interesting to hear others thoughts on it.

Duo , really well composed and a nice surprise for you.

Longing, as above really well composed, with the added benefit of making me laugh.:LOL:

Dark, took me a moment to get it. :bonk:
I'd be interested to know how you achieved this shot.

All in all three very good weeks for you I think.(y)

Thanks for the kind comments, the Dark pic was shot on a black marble fireplace, the card was held up by a bit of tape in the bottom corner and a tooth pic stuck further up to brace it.

Used manual mode to get the background really black and finally, potatoshopped out the tape.

I prefer the original longing shot - but would like the cheese to be more in focus. The lack of cheese waiting to be eaten in the second leaves it open to interpretation and I can see why some would see the little mouse as smug rather than longing... he does look pretty pleased with himself!

I like dark - good interpretation of the theme and am also intrigued as to how you set the shot up. Care to share??

EDIT - you already have shared I see... really must learn to type faster!

:agree: Because of the fact you want comments and people to become a little more critical of your shots and be genuinely honest with you. Yes it's little picky but a great piece of work...:clap::clap::clap:

Re-shoot
I prefer the original longing shot - but would like the cheese to be more in focus. The lack of cheese waiting to be eaten in the second leaves it open to interpretation and I can see why some would see the little mouse as smug rather than longing... he does look pretty pleased with himself!

:agree:Again still being picky, the shot lacks the same feel of longing. This could be the camera angle, it needs the looking down and the mouse looking up to give it that feeling of pleading...and of course you lose the all important eye contact...
Also I would move the mouse just a tad to the right so there was a tiny gap between the ear of the mouse and the grater.

Still a good fun shot all the same.(y)

Dark I like very much (in fact its ace :)) - nicely composed and sharp as a tack - I think I would have like to have seen a tad more reflection but it still works well :D

Longing 2 also is a good shot - I don't think it tops the humour of the first which had, for me, a lot to do with the viewpoint we were afforded :D

Love the Dark shot, works very well and is a clever idea. :clap: :clap:

The reshoot for me is fine as a picture with no theme, but as a longing shot, it doesn't work as well as the original shot.

I am lovin that mouse though and technically it is a great shot. :clap: :clap:

longing, brilliant shot and very amusing...as is the mouse and cheesegrater!

Dark, also a great shot in it's simplicity. well done

Jon

Love the Dark picture, great interpretation and great white balance :clap::clap:

The reshoot doesn't have the longing of the first one. i think it's the perspective of the first one that gives it the edge (y) and well done for getting 2 shots in this week :clap:

I think you've lit this really well, turning a simple object into a very interesting one!

Yes that works really well...lovely lighting...:clap::clap::clap:

and nicely placed in the frame, pity it's got a tiny reflection of you (I think) but don't ask me how you could get around this...

but it still very good...(y)

:clap: (y) :clap:
Pink Elephant :love:
There's so much I like about this shot, but the texture is one of them!

Thank you.

I think you've lit this really well, turning a simple object into a very interesting one!

thanks for the kind comment Mark.

Yes that works really well...lovely lighting...:clap::clap::clap:

and nicely placed in the frame, pity it's got a tiny reflection of you (I think) but don't ask me how you could get around this...

but it still very good...(y)

Thanks, I know what you mean about the reflection, I actually had my daughter holding a large white bath towel to mask out another, larger reflection :D, she's a great little assistant to have around.

I don't know how I've got so far behind with your 52, Hyster. My apologies, and I'll catch up now. :)

Week 16 Longing - shot 1 Excellent idea and well posed. I agree with the comments that the cheese is a little too blurred, but still made me chuckle. :)

Shot 2 - A brilliant illustration of how pov can change a picture. He looks more excited than smug, imo, but the addition of a little cheese would have stopped me wondering if he was about to meet a messy end on the grater. :eek:

Week 17 - What a good illustration of the theme. I like the simplicity and the dark background is just right. I won't mention the top right hand corner, because every bodyelse beat me to it. :)

Week 18 - I like the idea (pink elephant), but I feel really mean saying that I think it lacks a little impact - and I haven't even got any ideas on how you could do it differently.

The composition is attractive, the detail in the porcelain is good. I'm thinking as I type and after looking yet again, I wonder if turning the trunk slightly more towards the camera would have given a more 3-D feel? He looks rather 2-dimensional in profile. I think we all want honesty in this challenge, but I feel I've been a bit negative without being confident that I'm offering a 'better' alternative.

Sorry for the ramble - I should get my ideas sorted before commenting. :bonk:

Jean

Back