Idiot Behind the Lens photo sharing thread

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
So, for all you mad people that opted to take part in the Idiot Behind the Lens Challenge - please share your photos and comments here. You can chat and discuss as much as you like in this thread. Have fun!! :woot:

As a reminder, your one favourite image should be posted in the other thread ready for the vote. You can find that HERE

The challenge runs until August 24th, so if you haven't yet taken part but are reading this thread, there is still time to take part - Go Have a Read

I’ve a few more keepers than I originally thought I would get. All taken off the CD and uploaded to Photobucket, with no PP. My biggest problem was keeping the horizon level, and looking through the view finder was a bit hit and miss :puke:. I have a few lone trees that have had the tops chopped off! Really enjoyed it though, but glad I have my DSLR and Photoshop. :D

I used a kodak disposable camera. Anyone know why is the colour saturation so washed out? :shrug:

Here are a couple from a Max Spielmann disposable camera unretouched. They are straight from the Spielmann CD.
I originally had images I'd scanned myself and adjusted for colour and cropped a bit in Gimp, but I saw that was against the rules. Still the colours aren't too bad

Steps in Liverpool

Phone Boxes outside town hall.

The quality of the image was better than I had expected from such a tiny plastic lens.

Last edited:
Paul - they look fantastic, you did really well. 1 and 5 are the money shots for me, great compositions. I know the colours are a tad washed out, could be the film itself or the scanning I guess, but I actually quite like that effect. (y)

Nick, 2 excellent images and totally contrasting with Pauls. Again, it shows you can take a well thought out photo without all the usual bells and whistles (y)

I like your Lakeland shots Paul. I think the colours are reasonably well saturated for film. Greens are always difficult for emulsions and in my opinion only Kodachrome ever got it exactly right.

One that im the most proud of:
w87qkcIl.jpg

Not my kid, just a happy one on a swing. Also, I was too cheap to get this scanned, Boots wanted an extra £2.50 for a CD of the scans! :D

I took this earlier, back in June or July or something so its not qualified for the actual competition but I thought I would share it nonetheless :)

some from me :)

my 2nd camera is now 'in-process' :clap:

Last edited:
oh, ok, so need to see why flickr isn't giving me a url link anymore :(

dunno what flickr did to their link system but I just had to enter all the url bits manually :( *sigh*

Last edited:
Stan (rpn) forgot to say, I really love no9 in your first set. Has a real impressionist feel about it.

WOW!! Got to say, what strikes me most this year is the improvement in image quality [the actual image the camera has produced, contrasts, colour etc] You lot have obviously managed to source far better cameras than we did last year :LOL:

I need to get a shoot edited and some stuff sorted for the post office, but then going to sit down and start going through them all and offer some comments, but I shall start now with 'Did you lot know you actually aren't bad photographers!!' :eek: :LOL: :exit:

WOW!! Got to say, what strikes me most this year is the improvement in image quality [the actual image the camera has produced, contrasts, colour etc] You lot have obviously managed to source far better cameras than we did last year :LOL:

You haven't seen mine yet :(

Last edited:
Wow, some really good results in here. Stan (rpn), your no.9 in your first post stands out in particular, well done.

The Set of the pictures (there were a few more, but of people...) can be found here on Flickr

Kodak disposable... Found that all the pictures were over exposed. The people who processed here had a machine break down, so I don't know if the black band is from that, or the camera... They are all abit washed out and over exposed too (again dunno if that is the processing or not).

Once I scanned them the white merge a lot brighter, but there are no controls on this scanner (Canon CanoScan Lide 25) so thats what there is.

The pictures of me, I didn't take, that is my lovely wife and a <2 year nephew in laws son... The blur is because he touched the lens... :/

Grafittied wall by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Disney Mitten by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Farm Tractor by KatiaUK, on Flickr

I'm not sure if there is a best one of the lot... :) for the challenge bit, but have a browse and see what you think.

(y)

Last edited:
Taking the photos was far more entertaining than the end result!

10 were complete write-offs, just noisy blackness, no idea what happened as everything was taken in good light.

i-f84L6M6-L.jpg

i-vbsppH7-L.jpg

i-JSwgFkW-L.jpg

i-GNn2wDt-L.jpg

I took part in this challenge last year, and TBH I thought those results with two Boots cameras were better than this years' with a Kodak disposable. Anyway, I thought I should work with the likely distortion in camera, so my main entry is this one taken in the distorting mirrors outside the Camera Obscura in Edinburgh:

1)

The really odd thing that I don't get is that the reflected writing is not reversed!

I think this one is the best of the rest, taken with the flash, strong sun behind:

2)

In the spirit of the first, I thought I would take a pic of this purple cow in the Underbelly part of the Edinburgh Fringe, when this little girl suddenly ran in and jmped on it as I clicked the shutter! I quite like the way there's so much movement here, so much madness, no-one's bothered that a little girl has just jumped the cow!

3)

And finally, this is the best of the "general landscape" class that I tried:

4)

In the end the only way I could really get anything was to leave all other cameras at home!
3)

Chris, the "correct" writing is a reflection of a reflection, hence it being right way up! Like you, I was happier with last year's results with an unknown film and camera than I was with this year's Kodak. 800 ASA in bright sunshine didn't help much (washed out colours are probably a result of that - my excuse anyway!) either.

The only image I'm happy enough with to show is my entry and that was shot on a bright day but under leafy cover. There are a couple of others that will possibly scan and crop to useable images but I have better of the same subjects already so I probably won't bother.

Well mine are finally done. Taken on a Rollei Crossbird, I can't say as I am totally impressed, the cross processing isn't as obvious as it could be and the grain is overly intrusive for 400ASA I think. Having said that, only had a couple with fingers in the way [though sadly one of them is my favourite and would have been my vote entry without the finger] and they are certainly...'atmospheric' :LOL:

disposable camera by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

and the finger one.... its also got a bit of a wonky horizon :LOL:

Most of the rest of the film is on flickr HERE, take at Dungeness and some locally, plus one at Essex County Cricket ground.

I am a bit annoyed. I thought after last year that I would have learnt what is possible or not with these horrible little cameras. I was certain that I would do a better job this year. In fact, most of mine this year were complete rubbish :(

I tried some shots in the garden - terrible. My usual fall back when looking for something to photograph is to head to the local canal. Most of those were also terrible. Just 3 worth posting.

CNV00034a.jpg

Not too bad. I like the converging lines of the lock and the boats but thought it lacked interest in the foreground. I was itching to crop a bit off the bottom but couldn't :rules:

CNV00033a.jpg

This was the one I posted in the other thread mainly because there is more action in the shot with the guys steering and the boat starting to move through the lock gates, and the bridge in the distance starting to open, plus the water churning in the foreground. I would have preferred a bit more sky, though.

CNV00031a.jpg

The thing I disliked about this one is the divergence of the boats, otherwise it would have been my favourite.

I will stick to my DSLR, thanks.

Jenny

Last edited:
Back