weekly Jaycee' 52 for 23 .......

Interesting view across the rooftops to the big wheel in the distance. Lucky to have some blue sky for this week!

Week Two Incomplete

The tide hasn't completed it's cycle, it is only half way in.....

Week Two Incomplete by John, on Flickr

Ah, now I see - thanks for the explanation.

I really like the foreground and wonder if your message would be more clearly conveyed with a crop that reduced the sky to a small sliver? Just a thought.

Yes, I think I'm with Boots on the crop. The gentle colours of the foreground get slightly lost. Also, thanks for the explanation !

I'll happily disagree. I like it as is. Pleasing thirds, and a lovely minimal sky I'd be happy to keep

Thanks for the comments.

I just had a play around with different crops and it just didn't work for me, having said reducing the sky by half looked pretty good

Ah, a typical south Wales day!
Nice one John. I like it as is, but one alternative suggestion is for a square crop.

I was wondering how it was incomplete but the explanation covers that! I like the original thirding, although the crop to reduce the amount of sky works too.

I was scratching my head until I read your commentary John. Good shot.

I didn't see the theme connection looking at the image so thanks for the explanation, I agree with others reducing the amount of sky would improve it.

Week Three Artificial and Tech Juxtaposition

Two photos which I thought fitted the theme and tech', a Foggy evening in black and white and a painting I did with acrylics and first time with a palette knife.

Artificial light

Foggy night by John, on Flickr

Not a real scene, it's a painting

In the rain by John, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love the painting! The shadows really make the yellow quite striking. Quite a thought provoking picture. :clap:

That painting is awesome! :clap:

Thanks for the comments.

I can't take credit for the original idea as I was following a tutorial from youtube, but I was very pleased with the result.

It is Acrylics on mdf board

Really like the painting, great tones and colours

Not only is painting really good, the photo of it is too.

Lighting works to show the depth of the paint strokes and adds another dimension to it.

Thanks for the comments,

Well taken shot of the painting. It looks shiny (?) and you've managed to avoid any unnecessary reflections.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very good. Has the feel of another acrylic painting... But I don't think it is.

Clear waterline at the top leaving the reflected block stone wall with the ladder linking the two beautifully. Really nice shot.

Very good. Has the feel of another acrylic painting... But I don't think it is.

Clear waterline at the top leaving the reflected block stone wall with the ladder linking the two beautifully. Really nice shot.

Mind bending shot John

Love the reflected stones

Pete

That is rather captivating.

Thanks for the comments.

I took it during the cold snap we had, part of the dock had frozen over there may even be a bit of ice in the bottom right.

I think these "Helicopter seeds" are Sycamore

seedss by John, on Flickr

Area. Fits the theme spot on.
Incomplete, clever idea for the theme, I wouldn't of cropped the sky out myself. Leave as is.
Artificial is a cracker, great painting.
Transparent, another really good shot. The reflection of the ladder is mind bending!
Snappers Choice. The branch leads you in and the detail is excellent.

Nice Shot John, love the minimal colours, nice and sharp in the required places.

Nice one John. I like the painterly feel that it has.

Great shot John!

Area. Fits the theme spot on.
Incomplete, clever idea for the theme, I wouldn't of cropped the sky out myself. Leave as is.
Artificial is a cracker, great painting.
Transparent, another really good shot. The reflection of the ladder is mind bending!
Snappers Choice. The branch leads you in and the detail is excellent.

Nice Shot John, love the minimal colours, nice and sharp in the required places.

Thanks for the comments guys, sometimes I come back after a shoot and wonder why I bothered, then other times I can't wait to get out again .

Maybe i'm learning something :)

Back