weekly John's 2012 52 - Week 51/52 - Time/Fun (27th Dec) Finished !

:D... Any particular variety ?? apart from being a large beer can of course ...

Ok, should have been last week, but been too busy... Finally finished all the processing... and went with OCF again... think it needed the flash in a different position, maybe more from the rear quarter ??

IMG_7850.jpg

Thanks guys...

Michael, it was actually stood on end, and I rotated it for horizontal... easier to get the black background :D... but that's why the flash reflection is giving the bright area. And why i was thinking, whilst processing it, that a rear quarter for the flash would be better.. more silhouette... I keep meaning to do more OCF, and don't get the chance... so thought I'd give it a bash.

This week has been more mad than most, and there is no chance of getting anything for this, so I'm going back to the end of august...

You have to respect these Athletes

IMG_6236.jpg

She broke the world record on this run

A couple of variations

IMG_7868.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

And the one I've chosen
IMG_7863-Version2.jpg

Hi John,
Music, having been shooting shiny metal with ocf lately myself, I appreciate how tricky it is. You've done well with this, with its slightly abstract feel but still recognisable from the title. Just needs a little off the top I feel.

Respect, respect indeed! This tells a powerful story IMHO, strength, commitment, over coming barriers. Wonderful panning technique. I like the sense of speed, power and movement. The vivid colours are fantastic too.

Night, I like your final choice, the natural framing works well. Good work (y)

Thanks very much Michael... I'll take a look a the crop... I put it on the lower third (I think), but I know what you mean... I keep meaning to reshoot it actually, and work on the lighting... I think the flash to the rear is gonna be best.

Thanks very much Steven.

Nearly there now... phew... got a couple this week... Both shot with the 70-200

bit of a skeletal sunrise, very little has been done to this...

IMG_7951.jpg

But the one I'm gonna go with

IMG_7957.jpg

Hi John,

Music - Concert flute? I used to take lessons when I was a kid. Fits the theme of course but as a picture it does not do a huge amount for me. I think perhaps it's to do with the dark background and the silver blending into one?

Respect - You've captured the movement well and the colours are nice and bright. Def agree with you here -- I have huge respect for these athletes.

Night - I love the second shot. Perfect!

Colour - I've gotta say I prefer the sunrise.

Hi Nat, thanks for looking.

It's not a concert flute, an intermediate level Yamaha. Very nice, just don't have time to do much with it, this is the first time it's been out of it's case... since the last time I did a 52 I think. More's the pity. I know what you mean, and I think lighting from the rear, with maybe a difuser of some sort would have helped.

I've used a sunrises, and sunsets a bit before, so wanted to try and get something different, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

As if...

Way too busy again this week... but then this idea struck me...

The way I get my freedom... the world of the imagination and books, ok, they're not paper anymore...

IMG_7973_zpsc09a3ff5.jpg

Hi John,
Another vote for the sunset shot for colour from me.
Wonderful tones in there, which see the image bang on theme. Might have liked a different crop just to take the chimney away from its central position but other than that (y)

Freedom, needs a little explanation but works nonetheless.
I can see freedom in another sense in the kindle's portability, freedom to take it anywhere.
Its an interesting angle/perspective you've taken with this. Looking down on it as opposed to a more conventional view as if one were reading from it. IYSWIM. It does work though, it grabs the viewer and makes them "work it out" IMHO.

Thanks Iain..

actually... I think it must be a sunrise shot ;).. not that it matters... I see what you mean about the chimney... I was more interested in the trees than the chimney and didn't spot it...

Oohh... another interpretation... I'd thought of that honest :D.. The key for me with this shot was to make sure the text on the top was in focus, and I wanted a relatively shallow DOF to throw the rest out.

There really was only gonna be one thing, what with so little time to spare ;)

IMG_7987_zps912cb9a3.jpg

Has some fun with photography and a helicopter ;)

This is the helicopter

IMG_8005_zpsa1742f75.jpg

and this was fun

IMG_8008_zps3a4d2176.jpg

Not going to be to everyones taste, hell, may not appeal to anyone ;)

John - Apologies for not stopping by and commenting during the year. There's been plenty going on with keeping up to speed with the"official" version. You've taken some great shots over the last 12 months. More importantly well done and congratulations on completing your 52.

No worries Peter, thanks for looking in. I understand how hard it is keeping up with all the threads.

Thanks Dean, glad you enjoyed it.

As to doing another... I'm really not sure... I struggled to find the time this year, and had no chance to keep up to date with all the other threads. I suspect that affected how much response I got, and I have to admit, I didn't get as much out of 2012's as I did out of 09 and 10.

Well done on finishing the 52 John, especially as you seem to have been the only one doing the alternative themes for the year. (y)

Good finish to the year too, I particularly like the pocket watch image. Quite bold of you to have a central composition for this one but it does work. I think its the symmetry of it which appeals to my eye. Its well lit, only a couple of little hotspots but thats to be expected with shiny objects.

The helicopter ones I am not so sure on, sorry. I can imagine it was a tricky object to photograph so (y) for the first, a little noisy but good work.

All the best for the New Year John, big thanks for your comments on my thread throughout the year, they have been much appreciated. Iain

Hi John,
Oops, I've been a tad busy and dropped behind quite a bit.

Music, firstly what is it? I think the lighting is ok, yes there are a few hot spots otherwise you've done a good job (y)

Respect, I know all about the lack of time thing:bonk: It's a cracking shot though, superb action shot (y) and yes total respect for what they achieve with such disabilities!

Night, you made the right choice in that shot, lovely framing and just enough detail in the tree :clap:

Colour, love the sunrise but the blanket (or whatever it is) wins it for me too. The composition with the reflection is unusual but clever.

Freedom, I saw the shot first and wondered how it fitted the theme :bonk: my kids love books, I hope to keep them on the paper normal versions for as long as possible!

Time, superb detail throughout that watch and I think the off white background suits it as opposed to the typical high key!
I would have cloned out the two hotspots on the watch rim though.

Fun, having moaned at my hubby for playing with his new RC heli on Christmas Day I know these can be fun! Wasn't quite so sure when he was trying to retrieve it from the neighbours roof though:eek:
I think there's just a tad too much blur in the second shot, the main body of the heli needs to be more in focus to me, unless this is what you wanted in which case I'll shut up :exit:

Well considering what is said in your siggy I think you've done it this year with some superb shots to be proud of, especially the Olympic ones :clap: :clap:

Well done for finishing it :woot: :woot:

Thanks very much Iain... yeah noisy... I'd maxed the ISO to try and get something of a shutter speed... and the 450d doesn't handle 1600 particularly well..

Thanks for the catch up Marsha. The object in Music, is the head of my flute. I wasn't sure about the Kindle when I was given it, but I've got used to it, and especially when going away, a single thing this size that fits in your pocket and holds 3000 books is excellent ;). I think my shot for fun is very much Marmite... I just wanted to try something else out, and aimed for blurry... Normally I'd got for a lot more sharper than that...Thanks for commenting through the year. I'll try to check in from time to time on the 2013 threads...

Back