Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Lots to look at and lovely details there Chris. I also like the contrast between the old commemorative stone and the newer plaque.

Unfortunately, for those less old than us, the numbers have little or no significance.

Lots to look at and lovely details there Chris. I also like the contrast between the old commemorative stone and the newer plaque.

Unfortunately, for those less old than us, the numbers have little or no significance.
Thanks Jill,

Perfect for the theme Chris ... the composition works really well with the chunky stone, the fading poppies and those green leaves, a solemn reminder of dates we should never forget.
Thanks Susie

Perfect for the theme Chris ... the composition works really well with the chunky stone, the fading poppies and those green leaves, a solemn reminder of dates we should never forget.

:agree: ... lots to see and yes a solemn reminder ...

A very interesting location captured well.
To my eye, the memorial is fairly new, made up from parts of older memorials and reclaimed stone. Would I be right in that?
Thanks Tim, I did wonder if it had been moved from somewhere else but it seems that little is known about it's history other than it was built at the site in 1920. It may be that the original plinth was replaced at some point.

Strangely enough Jill, my seven year old begged to be taken to the Imperial War Museum for his half term day out as his original interest in WWII planes has widened into wanting to find out much more about the time. It was a bit of a tough one for me with him being so young and many difficult themes to explore there, but we both learnt a lot.

Last edited:
Beautifully framed with so much interest in the textures and colours of the stone - a very poignant take on the theme.
Thanks Emma

Strangely enough Jill, my seven year old begged to be taken to the Imperial War Museum for his half term day out as his original interest in WWII planes has widened into wanting to find out much more about the time. It was a bit of a tough one for me with him being so young and so many difficult themes to explore there, but we both learnt a lot.

My kids have covered these themes throughout their school years and I think they maybe have different feelings and a different understanding, and may be a different way of appreciating these things but they are quite conscious of the events and the loss of life.

Attractive, like the swan as it looks so peaceful, but my choice of attractive is the #2 as that to me is very attractive. Great lighting the movement of the water round the blokes feet, just love it :)

Thanks Dave, I was pleased with the caving image (it's a selfie BTW). I think the back light is a bit too bright but I was having a bit of trouble with that flash so I was happy to get somehting out of it.

Great caving selfie! Well composed with the two bright lights coming from different directions. And you outfit looks as attractive as caving clothing can be.

Great caving selfie! Well composed with the two bright lights coming from different directions. And you outfit looks as attractive as caving clothing can be.

Clver thinking ref the Swan, but the caving pic is a corker.
Thanks guys, the caving shot took quite a bit of setting up but was worth it, glad you liked it.

Caving shot for me too Chris. This challenge is all about shoe hornery in my opinion.
Anyway, I prefer it for the lighting, sharpness and power of the water.
Thanks Tim, the swan (or at least and ugly ducking) was the original idea and I guess I was just reluctant to let it go.

Looks typically "nouveau cinema"… superbe!

That's a cool comment!
Thanks for dropping in Daniel, I appreciate it.

The caving shot for me too Chris. Lots to see and well lit given the circumstances. The swan shot is just a bit meh but I too am guilty of getting an idea and PABD :p

love the ugly duckling because Swans are majestic and beautiful creatures... though i think the Attraction is in the cave exploration for me, as i'm regularly pick up by the fashion police as i have no concept of 'what goes'

The caving shot for me too Chris. Lots to see and well lit given the circumstances. The swan shot is just a bit meh but I too am guilty of getting an idea and PABD :p

love the ugly duckling because Swans are majestic and beautiful creatures... though i think the Attraction is in the cave exploration for me, as i'm regularly pick up by the fashion police as i have no concept of 'what goes'

Selfies are a nightmare in the most ordinary of places so bravo for getting such a good one down there (y)

Thanks all

A selfie, blimey, all looks very daring. o_O
Nothing wrong with the swan pic but I agree that #2 works better for me, although nothing attractive to being underground to me :)
Thanks guys, the most daring bit is balancing hundreds of pounds worth of camera gear on a wet rock

Dark is a great shot imo Chris, like the darkness stages to turning a slightly light and like the lake :)
Dark brooding clouds but with that lovely light catching the ground, smashing composition Chris.

Thanks both, I hung around for a while on the off chance that the light would come good and it was worth the wait I think

Some great colour and shadow there. Dramatic stuff. (y)

Great landscape shot, I like the contrast between the dark on the left and the bright colours on the right.

I think generally this would be a bit extreme processing for a landscape shot for my tastes but for the theme it works, a couple of people have mentioned the word brooding at that is definitely the feel it gives. I like the dark hills contrasting against the light on the grass.

I think generally this would be a bit extreme processing for a landscape shot for my tastes but for the theme it works, a couple of people have mentioned the word brooding at that is definitely the feel it gives. I like the dark hills contrasting against the light on the grass.
I agree Steve, I wouldn't push it this far unless trying to meet the theme, thanks fir the comments.

Back