Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Nice bit separation you've achieved there Chris.
I'm intrigued by the lights. Are they genuinely shaped like that, or is that a bokeh modifier?

Oh, and you needed to start growing your snowy white beard a few months earlier to be a convincing Santa ;)

Nice bit separation you've achieved there Chris.
I'm intrigued by the lights. Are they genuinely shaped like that, or is that a bokeh modifier?

Oh, and you needed to start growing your snowy white beard a few months earlier to be a convincing Santa ;)
:D Thanks Tim, it's a good-old star shaped mask in front of the lens to create the bokeh, happy Christmas :)

HaHa ... I was born & bred in Glos where folk get all joyous like that this time of year. I'm going down there tomorrow for much merriment. :sneaky:

Excellent portrait Chris (y) I don't know about these bokeh modifiers ... well spotted @LC2 .... I must check these things out.

Merriments all. :hug:

HaHa ... I was born & bred in Glos where folk get all joyous like that this time of year. I'm going down there tomorrow for much merriment. :sneaky:

Excellent portrait Chris (y) I don't know about these bokeh modifiers ... well spotted @LC2 .... I must check these things out.

Merriments all. :hug:
Thanks David, there's plenty on youtube about bokeh modifiers, key is a wide open lens and a good distance from the background. Merry Christmas, hope the folk in Glos are feeling festive (y)

So we had a bit of weather today...
52-2017-Weather by Chris H, on Flickr

And here's one from film, shot, processed and scanned today with my new toys which Santa brought
52-2017-WeatherFilm by Chris H, on Flickr

And that's it, somewhat more than 52 photos, taken and posted weekly during 2017, it was fun to do for the second year :banana:

Last edited:
Weather times two, I like both shots Chris and think #1 would of been great for the remote theme. #2 is my choice though as I really do like the cold gritty look to the shot, nice having the boats and cars in view too plus the prints in the bottom of the shot.
Thanks Dave, just getting back into film, glad you like the second one. All the best for the new year!

Both on theme but I love that second shot... The fence and mast give nice leading lines, and I like the incongruity of the snow, cars and boats. The flagpole balances it on the left. Having done a couple of jigsaws over Christmas I think this would make a good image for that with all the detail.

Film shot for me its good to see someone else using film
Thanks Allan, happy new year.

Both on theme but I love that second shot... The fence and mast give nice leading lines, and I like the incongruity of the snow, cars and boats. The flagpole balances it on the left. Having done a couple of jigsaws over Christmas I think this would make a good image for that with all the detail.
Thanks Bebop, really appreciate it. Happy new year

Rustic is a nice take on the theme and well shot, Festive - bah humbug !

Both good but something quite magical about #1 .... love the inclusion of the trees, wall, and lone figure RHS.

nice finish (y)

Both good but something quite magical about #1 .... love the inclusion of the trees, wall, and lone figure RHS.

nice finish (y)
Thanks David, I'm glad you preferred #1, happy new year.

A couple of lovely images to finish off your 2017 challenge Chris

I love a good snow scene and these are both very different... living on the coast I know the rarity of snow settling on the salty sand and your fist image which is very high key works a treat, the pier/jetty/bridge breaks the horizon very nicely... where as the shot of the cars on the quay is a real nice image of a general built up snowy day, I love the cured rails leading the eye to the houses, and a couple of boats in the foreground too, Very Nice (y)

Well done in completing your 2017 phot challenge, I have enjoyed your images very much :clap:

Last edited:
A couple of lovely images to finish off your 2017 challenge Chris

I love a good snow scene and these are both very different... living on the coast I know the rarity of snow settling on the salty sand and your fist image which is very high key works a treat, the pier/jetty/bridge breaks the horizon very nicely... where as the shot of the cars on the quay is a real nice image of a general built up snowy day, I love the cured rails leading the eye to the houses, and a couple of boats in the foreground too, Very Nice (y)

Well done in completing your 2017 phot challenge, I have enjoyed your images very much :clap:
Thanks Dean, really appreciate the encouraging comments

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Warm fire, full log basket, rustic bliss. The shine on the wicker contrasts well with the roughness of the logs.

Wk 51 - Festive - I have a 'Bah Humbug!' sweater you could borrow :clap: - good expression and chin texture.

Wk 52 - Weather - Film shot my favourite - grain in sky reminiscent of snow falling and cool colour of monochrome, could perhaps even have given a delicate blue tinge as if printed on cool tone paper.

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Warm fire, full log basket, rustic bliss. The shine on the wicker contrasts well with the roughness of the logs.

Wk 51 - Festive - I have a 'Bah Humbug!' sweater you could borrow :clap: - good expression and chin texture.

Wk 52 - Weather - Film shot my favourite - grain in sky reminiscent of snow falling and cool colour of monochrome, could perhaps even have given a delicate blue tinge as if printed on cool tone paper.
Thanks for taking the time David, really appreciate it, something like this

img29122017_032.jpg

Well done on finishing your second 52, Chris, and oh I did laugh out loud at your Festive image! Great humour and a super take on the theme :clap: Both images for weather work very well; I like the cold tones and distant details in the first one, with the tiny lone figure on the RHS, and in the second one I like the contrast of the snow resting on the houses, cars and boats. So unusual to see snow at sea side, and it makes a lovely scene.

What fun to be using and processing film again! I started out using a Zenit E and processing and printing my own images in the bathroom or the school darkroom, and although we can create fantastic images with our digital cameras and software, I bet you're getting a real kick out of seeing the image start to appear on the paper in the developer. Makes me want to do it again :)

Well done on finishing your second 52, Chris, and oh I did laugh out loud at your Festive image! Great humour and a super take on the theme :clap: Both images for weather work very well; I like the cold tones and distant details in the first one, with the tiny lone figure on the RHS, and in the second one I like the contrast of the snow resting on the houses, cars and boats. So unusual to see snow at sea side, and it makes a lovely scene.

What fun to be using and processing film again! I started out using a Zenit E and processing and printing my own images in the bathroom or the school darkroom, and although we can create fantastic images with our digital cameras and software, I bet you're getting a real kick out of seeing the image start to appear on the paper in the developer. Makes me want to do it again :)
Thanks Andrea, not got as far as printing (yet) just developing negs and scanning. I dug out my Zenit for the "former soviet union" challenge that was running in the F&C section on here and was pleased to get the most votes for this
FSU Challenge Entries - The Workers - POLL ACTIVE

Last edited:
Back