weekly Karl12347 52 Week Challenge - Week7 - Root added

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there everyone, I am new to DSLR photography, the forums and saw this challenge so thought I would give it ago as I find it hard to think of subjects to photograph. I currently own the Nikon d3100 with 18 - 55mm lens which I know is only a starter kit but have had some great shots so far. I would appreciate any feedback.

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 : Root
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

My first photo is of an old steam carrousel at beamish museum in durham which I really liked and thought it fitted really well with the first theme of direction i.e. they can only go one direction.
SteamCarousel.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Karl, excellent start, overall I quite like this.

If I had taken the shot, I think I probably would have made more of a feature of the steam, and darkened it enough to give it more of a moody look. As it is, there are some over exposed areas, and it is a little soft.

Looking forward to seeing your next 51 (y)

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with the faster shutter speed as there is some blur on the middle horses but was a spare of the moment shot as the steam was completely covering the whole subject at one point.

Had I not had the blur I think I would have spent more time with it in photoshop being a bit harsher with the contrast settings.

Looking forward to the next theme.

I agree about the blur although I don't think the three horse's heads close together help the illusion. Alternatively to speeding up the shutter speed, you could slow it down to add more blur.

Hi Everyone

My interpretation of this weeks theme 'fear' was height as I have always had problems going up ladders and looking down from really high places. I had a quite a hard time thinking of a subject to photo. In the end I decided to visit Sunderland Glass centre where they have glass panels in the roof which you can walk on.

I hadn't realised before I set off that all the glass panels would have round black dots across them which kind of spoilt the effect. I am sort of happy with the result but could have been better if more of the tables and chairs below were viewable.

With regards to the photo, I used the built in timer, set the camera on a tripod and set the shutter speed to 2 seconds.

Appreciate any comments and feedback. :)

Karl

Final.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea and well done in overcoming your own fear - would it have been better if you were 'caught' in the middle of a panel?

well done Karl you did well to capture this image. As you said it would have been better without the dots on the glass but you have made the best of it!

You wouldn't get me up there!!:LOL::LOL:

I wouldn't worry about the black dots - they just add to the effect.

You didn't consider going up Blackpool Tower and standing on their glass floor then?

Great idea and well done in overcoming your own fear - would it have been better if you were 'caught' in the middle of a panel?

Hi Gramps, I do have some shots with me stood in the middle of the closest glass panel but becuase I was closer to the lens it limited the ammount of glass panels that we viewable and the tables and chairs below the panels.

Karl

Hi Karl, well done for taking up the challenge.
#1 I agree about the shutter speed being too slow (1/60) for a moving target and too fast to create motion blur. Also I think I would have liked to see all the ride in the shot :thinking:
#2 is an interesting take on the theme
Good luck with the rest (y)

Hi Karl, great start to your 52 with 2 good images. First one maybe a little faster shutter speed on the carousel, but still a good shot, and the second one for fear is a cracking little shot.

Looking forward to more of your 52, and maybe more from Beamish, a wonderful place to visit and photograph (y)

HI Karl...trying to catch up on all who's threads I;ve missed...'pologies for taking so long to find you :crying:

Direction....Liking your thinking behind this one & is right on theme...shame about the slight oofness...I do the same..see a shot & grab it & manage to miss the focus (quite a lot of the time actually :LOL: )...least you'll get the chance for a reshoot . I also think the color version would look great as those things generally have great colors in them (y)

Fear...well done you for overcoming your fear for this shot...like the idea & right on theme.....shame you didn't have a helper as more of you in shot may have worked better :)

Best of luck with your project , look forward to seeing more of your images (y)

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

blondie606 said:
ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

Thanks for the feedback, I have now found the spreadsheet and will keep it updated going forward.

B&W was a brave take on such a colourful image. I used to love these as a kid. Bit closer for me, I'd prefer a bit further back and more of an angle.

#2, has real potential and you've made a nice one. Blown lights are an issue and I'd prefer portrait orientation.

(y)

This theme was a tricky one but I hope this picture of my son hits the nail on the head.

Every night around 6.45pm my son gets really tired for his bath and bed but we keep him up until 7pm so that he has a set routine. During he last 15mins we generally get a lot of sighing in between sucking his thumb for comfort.

Let me know your thoughts.

Karl

7a7ef213.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still desperatly scratching the cavity of my brain for a sigh image and you've already got this belter!
Congratulations, nice shot!

Some great interpretations on the themes so far Karl, out of the 3 so far I prefer The 'Fear' with the glass :)

The Direction merry-go-round was a great idea, and the pic of your Son certainty shows weary, tired or sigh, a very difficult challenge this week !!

Look forward to seeing your next pics (y)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was going to go along lines of photographing something hat made me sigh but watching him sitting there changed my mind.

I am hoping next weeks theme will be a good one as a fancy bringing some funny/ original shots to my thread.

Good luck to everyone else with your photos for the theme. I will try comment on as many as I can.

Karl

Well done with the sigh theme it's a difficult subject matter and you seemed to of nailed it early doors :clap:

Im just imagining the big sigh and the quivering bottom lip, great shot (y)

Only thing im not too keen on is the processing, needs toning down a bit IMHO (y)

Lovely pic. You're lucky to have a genuine sigh to photograph!

Nicely captured, on all 3 themes i can just feel the sigh coming on the last one

ahhh what a lovely shot, he's definitely in full sigh there. Have to say I don't like the colour much, just me tho, probably my screen too :)

Hi Karl,

Great pictures, you wouldn't catch me on that roof, not a cat in hells chance haha.

Great start

3 good shots Karl... they all work for the themes... good intrerpretations

Back