Critique required LC2's 52 Shoe Horns for 2024: Week 17 - Structure

Super shot Tim :)

Nice Tim. Although the striking blue hair/wig stands out, for me, I'm drawn straight to her eyes. Fab.

Week 4 - Water

Shot at the Battersea Light Festival 2024 held at the Battersea Power Station site.
This light display is entitled "Butterfly Effect" and communicates week four's theme of Water without the water being an obvious part of the shot.
The Butterflies are positioned in a body of water and when shot at night the wings are nicely reflected on the water.

If you look carefully, you also have Chelsea Bridge in the background further establishing that there is water in the shot

BUTTERFLY EFFECT - Battersea Light Festival 2024 by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 4 - Water

Shot at the Battersea Light Festival 2024 held at the Battersea Power Station site.
This light display is entitled "Butterfly Effect" and communicates week four's theme of Water without the water being an obvious part of the shot.
The Butterflies are positioned in a body of water and when shot at night the wings are nicely reflected on the water.

If you look carefully, you also have Chelsea Bridge in the background further establishing that there is water in the shot

BUTTERFLY EFFECT - Battersea Light Festival 2024 by Tim White, on Flickr
looks like an amazing lightshow and capture

Interesting subject, nicely seen. Would it have worked with a different viewpoint that didn’t include the area above the hoarding? I find that bit slightly distracting from a nice clean subject

Great colour with the benches, agree with Alan about the area above the hoarding

Interesting subject, nicely seen. Would it have worked with a different viewpoint that didn’t include the area above the hoarding? I find that bit slightly distracting from a nice clean subject

Great colour with the benches, agree with Alan about the area above the hoarding

That's interesting @AlanDorset / @nog - It was actually a concious decission to leave the dark area above the hording in order that the photo has 3 parts to it (odd being better than even), but I can see where you are coming from

Looks neat and tidy for sure. Curious as to the final E. Does it say EVEN again, or something else?
It does indeed repeat over and over again.

I like this because of the different colours of the benches. I might have darkened the foreground a little in pp.

Snappers... lovely shot. Her eyes certainly do lead you in.
Neat and tidy. Well spotted.. the benches really pop

Week 7 - Filthy

Bulleid Battle of Britain Class Light Pacific 34070 "Manston" in End of Steam 'worn' condition shot under the yard lights while being prep'd for the Saturday night Real Ale Train service.
The weather was beginning to take a turn for the worse.

Bulleid Battle of Britain Class Light Pacific: 34070 - Manston by Tim White, on Flickr

Three hours later the weather had turned a lot worse. One could say it was filthy weather.

Bulleid Battle of Britain Class Light Pacific: 34070 - Manston by Tim White, on Flickr

I think, however, that #1 is probably the better image.

Reactions: nog
Oh aye - now we're talking :banana:

Agree #1 for me as well. Like the blue sky and plenty of interest in the picture with great detail- real ale train(y) :)
Only criticism would be the hotspot and wonder if it would have a bit more atmosphere with a little less exposure

I thought it had been a while since I'd seen a train shoehorned in! I love the colours in the first shot but for whatever reason I'm drawn to the second, maybe the smoke adds a bit more drama?

Week 15 - Snappers and Week 16 - Empty

I really haven't felt like posting for the past few weeks, but I think Chris would tell me to get a grip and get on with it.
So the start of a catch up...

Snappers Choice:
The Mid Hant's Railway's Urie S15 (506) shot at around 23:30 after completing the evening's Real Ale Train service, and returning (ECS) to Ropley to be put away for the night.
Shot on the X-T2 and 23mm f/2 (wondering if I would get on with an X100).

Urie S15 - 506 by Tim White, on Flickr

Empty:
Shot earlier in the afternoon, an empty coal container (not really sure of the right term).
Deliberately shot slightly on the skew to add tension to the image

Empty Coaling by Tim White, on Flickr

Oh aye - now we're talking :banana:
:)
Agree #1 for me as well. Like the blue sky and plenty of interest in the picture with great detail- real ale train(y) :)
Only criticism would be the hotspot and wonder if it would have a bit more atmosphere with a little less exposure
A difficult call IMO, but I doubt there would be much I could do about the light, even with a much shorter exposure, it is pretty bright.
First one for me. Not too worried by the hotspot as it doesn't distract IMO.
(y)
I like that Tim, lots of interest.
There is a lot going on in #1
Nice shot... I like the sound of a Real Ale Service :beer:
We run them regularly. Something in the region of 20-25 a year.
A quiet night last night, we only got through about 8 barrels of ale !
Nice picture, quite like the long exposure of the sparks within the smoke.
Yes, I liked teh sparks too :)
Very atmospheric Tim. I like it a lot.
(y)
I thought it had been a while since I'd seen a train shoehorned in! I love the colours in the first shot but for whatever reason I'm drawn to the second, maybe the smoke adds a bit more drama?
You'll like the Snappers Choice shot I've just posted then !

Mono choochoo FTW!

Good to see the trains back :) , can't go wrong really with steam train and real ale. Like the light/processing as, for me, it gives the impression of end of the working day

Like the rust on the coal bucket (brazier?) nowadays probably needs a warning sign saying could be hot

Good to see the trains back :) , can't go wrong really with steam train and real ale. Like the light/processing as, for me, it gives the impression of end of the working day

Like the rust on the coal bucket (brazier?) nowadays probably needs a warning sign saying could be hot
Well, at Goodwood Members Meeting, some sensible advice

Attachments

• Fire 1.JPG
    Fire 1.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Fire 2.jpg
    Fire 2.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 3
Mono choochoo FTW!

Cracking train Tim!

Well, at Goodwood Members Meeting, some sensible advice

Nice shots to get back into the challenge.
The train motif keeps-a-coming....

2 Nice shots Tim, the train is a cracker

Cheers everyone. The Urie S15 was obviously the people's choice :)

Back