LC2's 52 Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam Challenge for 2021 : Week 39 - Door

Shapes
Yes, oval is a shape, I like the square crop and the highlighted numbers.

Numbers
I can see why you picked this. I agree about the ornate lettering/numbering, it does have quality feel to it.

Shape
Ovals always provide a pleasing image, with the details sharp and great contrast

Numbers
I was trying to work out if the lettering had been added after the paint job, I do prefer these tighter images that show details as opposed to the full train.

Oval is definitely a shape. I like that it just disappears into blackness. It would have done for numbers also!

I agree that a lot of effort seems to have gone into making the numbers ornate. I often wonder at the time and expense that was put into quite ordinary things historically. I like the composition too - it keeps you looking and guessing.
There may have been a little editing of the Oval shot ;)
The oval shot works for both shapes and numbers. A simple and sharp image.

As for the Numbers shot, I'm amaze at the signwriters skill doing the writings freehand.
Indeed it would have, but I had 2 shots I wanted to use, so... :)
Shapes
Yes, oval is a shape, I like the square crop and the highlighted numbers.

Numbers
I can see why you picked this. I agree about the ornate lettering/numbering, it does have quality feel to it.
:)
Shape
Ovals always provide a pleasing image, with the details sharp and great contrast

Numbers
I was trying to work out if the lettering had been added after the paint job, I do prefer these tighter images that show details as opposed to the full train.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it would have been added afterwards.

Week 5 - Free Week - The next revolution will be... er... Selfied!

I had my Week 5 Free week still outstanding.
As I happened to be in Green Park as the Free Palestine Demo marched past (which took them over an hour) on their way to Hyde Park Corner, it seemed rude not to take a few shots.

it was amazing the number of protesters who seemed to be more interested in their phones though !!!

The Next Revolution will be Selfied
by Tim White, on Flickr

You have taken the 'Free' week and picked the 'Free' Palestine movement, very apt.

The mobile phone has for some become an extension of their arm, good record shot. While recently walking the dog at night, I could see something further down the path walking in my direction completely transfixed to their phone. Had I not stopped and moved they were heading for a straight collision. I did think for a second it would have been funny to have the dog lead across their path to show them the errors of their ways.

I did think for a second it would have been funny to have the dog lead across their path to show them the errors of their ways.

They would still have said it was your fault :( even though they weren't looking.

I like the Free Palestine for your Free Week. Nice bit of documentary photography - capturing the chap engrossed with his phone, presumably videoing a selfie - wish you were here??? .. and you have the person with the placard in just the right spot.

Snappers choice
I like that. I think you've caught it just at the right moment.

You have taken the 'Free' week and picked the 'Free' Palestine movement, very apt.
Cheers quite poetic even :)
The mobile phone has for some become an extension of their arm, good record shot. While recently walking the dog at night, I could see something further down the path walking in my direction completely transfixed to their phone. Had I not stopped and moved they were heading for a straight collision. I did think for a second it would have been funny to have the dog lead across their path to show them the errors of their ways.
When i worked in town I would often stop and brace for impact against those head down in their phones.
Oddly they preyyt much all had a spider sense making them look up a fraction before impact.
They would still have said it was your fault :( even though they weren't looking.
I like the Free Palestine for your Free Week. Nice bit of documentary photography - capturing the chap engrossed with his phone, presumably videoing a selfie - wish you were here??? .. and you have the person with the placard in just the right spot.
It was one of a number of shots that I took while waiting for the models to arrive. It was all very peaceful (but the chants were boring - I've heard more inventive singing in the Shed at Stamford Bridge.
Snappers choice
I like that. I think you've caught it just at the right moment.
Probably my best from the protest. it does tell a certain story doesn't it.

A dapper gentleman and looking very much alive! I think you've done a bit of blurring in post, which I think works really well apart from near his right hand and around his legs where it looks like a bit of a glow, or maybe that was the intention. I have been playing with glow in Nik Color Efex and I keep spotting glow everywhere now :ROFLMAO:
Amazing outfit - must be tailor made.

A dapper gentleman and looking very much alive! I think you've done a bit of blurring in post, which I think works really well apart from near his right hand and around his legs where it looks like a bit of a glow, or maybe that was the intention. I have been playing with glow in Nik Color Efex and I keep spotting glow everywhere now :ROFLMAO:
Amazing outfit - must be tailor made.
Yes. duplicated the layer, masked the background on the top layer and added a gausian blur to the lower layer.
I did notice the glow, but didn't mind it.
Using a tilt shift on the background, keeping the bottom of the shot more in focus, would have been more realistic, but that wasn't really what I was going for.

I agree on the suit too :)

Yes. duplicated the layer, masked the background on the top layer and added a gausian blur to the lower layer.
I did notice the glow, but didn't mind it.
Using a tilt shift on the background, keeping the bottom of the shot more in focus, would have been more realistic, but that wasn't really what I was going for.

I agree on the suit too :)
Ah yes. Yesterday I tried a similar exercise with a flower and the petals ended up spilling over the edges. In the end I redid the Gaussian blur to be a bit less. I’ve only just discovered this way of blurring a background, and I like it Previously I’ve only ever done it with an adjustment brush.

What a great looking character Tim, I like the processing, it works well and adds a certain je ne sais quoi (y)

In the end I redid the Gaussian blur to be a bit less. I’ve only just discovered this way of blurring a background, and I like it Previously I’ve only ever done it with an adjustment brush.
I believe it's caused by the blur expanding the image in the background.
Fixable (albeit a bodge) by shrinking the background a little so that the blur is hidden.
You can also muck around with the edges and other masks to change it, but I've found that less successful.
TBH, I quite like the effect ;)

I should be drawn to the face but my eyes constantly flick to the man's right hand. If I scroll down so I can't see the hand it, IMHO, looks much better.

Week 21 - Pattern

In an attempt not to fall too far behind, I present to you
Pattern...
"any regularly repeated arrangement, especially a design made from repeated lines, shapes, or colours on a surface"
Well, what there is of it does conform to a pattern.
And before you ask, yes it was difficult getting a SFW shot !!!

@zahra_palmer_aka_queen_z
by Tim White, on Flickr

well, yep its patterns for sure. My OCD would make me want to pull that loose thread at the back :ROFLMAO:

Yep - patterns - I see patterns :D

Alive
A very much "alive" character, rocking his own style, I do prefer it cropped to just his top half

Patterns
There definitely a few there, some being modified by force!! There is an interesting use of the bubble packaging as the head dress.

That's an interesting image for Patterns Tim :D

Hi Tim

Now I see you interest in CosPlay, great Image with lots of pattern.

Good old George, very much a character by the looks of it, not sure the blur works for me

Pete

well, yep its patterns for sure. My OCD would make me want to pull that loose thread at the back :ROFLMAO:
I see what you mean. given the editing I needed to do, I guess I should have really.
Some lovely patterns in that image Tim, great shot.
Yep - patterns - I see patterns :D
Yes :)
Alive
A very much "alive" character, rocking his own style, I do prefer it cropped to just his top half

Patterns
There definitely a few there, some being modified by force!! There is an interesting use of the bubble packaging as the head dress.
You should see some of the unedited shots!!!
That's an interesting image for Patterns Tim :D
Hi Tim

Now I see you interest in CosPlay, great Image with lots of pattern.

Good old George, very much a character by the looks of it, not sure the blur works for me

Pete
This isn't cosplay, it's High fashion / Haute Couture. The designer is pretty well known

Until I surmised she was looking through a gap, I thought eye contact would have worked well. But the fact she's looking through something works well too.

Nice & close and the square crop is a good choice IMO.

Until I surmised she was looking through a gap, I thought eye contact would have worked well. But the fact she's looking through something works well too.

Nice & close and the square crop is a good choice IMO.
Yup, it's the NCP in Stackhouse Street at the back of Knightsbridge.
One of the togs snuck in there while she wasn't looking. You should have seen her jump !

Very nice image for close up not much I can add in the way of crit, it just works.

I guess it was going to be fairly obvious that I wouldn't be shooting bugs, and much more likely that the shot would be of a model
Quite frankly I'm stunned Tim :D
And TBH its the reason I said "Up close" and not macro.

The angle works well IMO also.

Last edited:
I love the way she's not been touched up, and the crop works really well.

Very nice image for close up not much I can add in the way of crit, it just works.
Cheers Allan. I agree it does 'just work', I think better than those where the models are making eye contact too actually.
Quite frankly I'm stunned Tim :D
And TBH its the reason I said "Up close" and not macro.

The angle works well IMO also.
Ta Chris :)
Nice close up Tim, took me a second to suss she was looking through a small gap.
Quite a large gap actually, if you look at the link to google maps I posted. It's all in the angle.
I love the way she's not been touched up, and the crop works really well.
I wouldn't dream of re-touching the shots without the model's permission. As the models did their own make-up for this shoot you know they are happy with how they look.

Up close
Lovely bright and colourful. It took me a second or two, to realise she wasn't just staring at a wall and that she was actually looking through a gap.

Back