Leeds to Scarborough as the crow flies. Marker 3 photographs added.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just parked my Minimal Project, I was at the gym watching The Art of Photography, by Ted Forbes on Youtube and a project came to mind. Nothing I was watching is linked directly, or even indirectly, to the project I have in mind.

I'm looking at placing a marker on my home, drawing a straight line to a point (shortlist includes Spurn Point, Blackpool, Scarborough). It is likely to be Scarborough because that's where my late father was born and grew up.

I'll be adding markers along the way; I need to work out if I'll be placing them at equal distances, say every mile (70 miles to Scarborough from Leeds) and taking a photograph in the direction of Scarborough. I'm not sure how feasible it will be if one of the points is in someone's garden :).

Why, well, I like the sense of order the project has. I like the discipline that it entails. I like the sense of discovery that it will bring me, arriving at places I'd in all likelihood never go to.

One of the things I'm really looking forwards to is arriving in Scarborough.

Factors to consider: cost. Looks to be around £20.00 there and back so, increments of anywhere between a few pence and £20.00 so I won't be taking a photograph every few weeks, maybe one every month. A main factor is the family. I go on quite a few TP meets and get out on my own quite often. I have an Iceland trip shortly and a few other meets. My wife, Jackie, is very accommodating but I don't want to push it.

I'll also be looking at photographing at different times from early morning though the night.

Quite excited really.

Anyway, I won't ramble as I have planning to do.

Cheers all.

Interesting idea Andy, a few weeks ago maybe on the BBC there was s programme about art in the environment sea, forest etc, there was a guy who did the same thing across the Yorkshire dales he drew a straight line on a Map and walked it. I dont think he photographed it though it was more just a concept, will try and remember what the programme was called :thinking:

Interesting idea Andy, a few weeks ago maybe on the BBC there was s programme about art in the environment sea, forest etc, there was a guy who did the same thing across the Yorkshire dales he drew a straight line on a Map and walked it. I dont think he photographed it though it was more just a concept, will try and remember what the programme was called :thinking:
That sounds like the sort of thing that Richard Long would do - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Long_(artist)

Cracking idea Andy. It has a personal touch with your Father's history in Scarborough, that is particularly appealing.
Good luck with it.

Great idea, has a kind of pilgrimage feeling about it. Looking forward to the results.

That sounds like the sort of thing that Richard Long would do - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Long_(artist)

Cracking idea Andy. It has a personal touch with your Father's history in Scarborough, that is particularly appealing.
Good luck with it.

Great idea, has a kind of pilgrimage feeling about it. Looking forward to the results.

Thats him, he was one of 3 artists featured, apparently the program was on BBC4 so jane tells me

Thanks, all. I've seen some of Richard Long's work in Leeds Art Gallery. Liked it.

Looking at the distances for taking the photographs last night and started off with 1,000 meter markers then realised it would take me around 20 years to complete. Not an issue I guess because there is no real rush, but 20 years :)

I've decided to go for 10 kms, that will take around 2 years. I might even not have a scale and just look for interesting points along the way, decisions, decisions.

Cheers.

Give yourself an acceptable error radius from the start, for example 10km intervals and within a 250m radius of that point. That should help with the "someone's garden" problem.

Worth getting a few cards printed for a project of this scale, helps explain to MOPs what you're up to. Plus a progress blog to point them at.

Sounds like an interesting idea, Andy. Points of interest along the way sounds like the most flexible option. Good luck with it, whatever you choose.

Cheers, Jenny, just need to ensure I avoid the obvious.

Give yourself an acceptable error radius from the start, for example 10km intervals and within a 250m radius of that point. That should help with the "someone's garden" problem.

Worth getting a few cards printed for a project of this scale, helps explain to MOPs what you're up to. Plus a progress blog to point them at.

Great ideas, Alastair.

Cheers.

Morning, all, hoping to get out for my first photograph later this evening. Whilst I want to, and will, stay true to my desire to have equal photographic points along the way (I've decided on 5,000 meters), there are an awful lot of empty fields from Leeds to Scarborough :eek:

Guess that's what a project is about, challenges :D

Cheers.

There are alternatives to "as the crow flies" that may be more interesting:
  • The line of the railway between Leeds and Scarborough
  • The A64 (following the old road wherever the road's been modernised and bypasses put in place)
Either of these at least gives you a railway/road to include in the shot even if there's nothing else there!

This project has got me thinking of something similar. Defining the start point as the place a person was born, the end point as the place that they died/are buried and making as many stops as the years they lived. But I'm coming to the conclusion that spacing the stops evenly and following a direct path may not get the most interesting or significant result.

There are alternatives to "as the crow flies" that may be more interesting:
  • The line of the railway between Leeds and Scarborough
  • The A64 (following the old road wherever the road's been modernised and bypasses put in place)
Either of these at least gives you a railway/road to include in the shot even if there's nothing else there!

This project has got me thinking of something similar. Defining the start point as the place a person was born, the end point as the place that they died/are buried and making as many stops as the years they lived. But I'm coming to the conclusion that spacing the stops evenly and following a direct path may not get the most interesting or significant result.

Thanks again, Alastair. I might be being a little pedantic. This could result in some less than interesting photographs.

I still like the 'as the crow flies' route, but might not stick to equidistant markers.

Cheers.

Decided to have a good look at the map and look at photographing photograph number 1 today. There is not an awful lot in the immediate area but I found an old bridge. After some research it turns out to be a bridge over an old railway line. There was not a lot information to be found regarding the date it was last used or where the track was from or went to.

I decided on a detail photograph showing the underside of the bridge and also a wider photograph of the bridge.

The next marker in near what looks to be an allotment so may produce more interest.

Cheers.

Marker 1 Bridge Over Old Railway Line near Thorner by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Marker 1 Bridge Over Old Railway Line near Thorner. Detail photograph by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Andy, got a map reference for the bridge? I'm sure we can get some history on the line quite easily.

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview - has an OS layer available

Took a drive to the 10,000 marker yesterday, well an allotment close to it. Very large 'PRIVATE NO ENTRY' sign on the gate (road not on Google street view so unable to see in advance. Nipped in hoping to see someone, but no luck. Took a few photographs, but none of them worked.

I've decided to relax my distance rule and essentially have a look along the line from Leeds to Scarborough for interesting locations then search for photographic opportunities. Bramham village is my next opportunity so I'll look to get out there during the week.

Cheers.

Took a drive to the 10,000 marker yesterday, well an allotment close to it. Very large 'PRIVATE NO ENTRY' sign on the gate (road not on Google street view so unable to see in advance. Nipped in hoping to see someone, but no luck. Took a few photographs, but none of them worked.

I've decided to relax my distance rule and essentially have a look along the line from Leeds to Scarborough for interesting locations then search for photographic opportunities. Bramham village is my next opportunity so I'll look to get out there during the week.

Cheers.

Organic project, gotcha ;)

Up earlyish today for second installment.

987 meters from the actual 10,000 meter marker but much more interesting.

All Saints Church, Bramham. What drew me to the church as the wooden cross, not seen many before and it was very weathered.

I decided to get the 14mm out and get as closed as possible keeping the whole church in. Wonderful place.

"The church originally dates from the 12th and 13th centuries; the earliest known parts were built around 1150. It was altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. The church contains various monuments to the Fox-Lane family of Bramham Parkmost notably George (1697-1773).[1]

The church is built of magnesian limestone and has a pitched slate roof. The church has a tower to its western side with a spire atop. The tower has three offset stages, a round-headed window and clocks on the southern, northern and western face.[2] The church has an ornate lychgate on the southern side of its boundaries." (from Wikipedia).

Very well maintained church.

Two elderly ladies opened up the church as I was further up the path. Nothing was said, but they looked very refined in their Sunday best.

Second is a wider photograph, also with the 14mm.

Third was a small gravestone and the inscription really moved me.

Marker 3 is a 15,000 meters and in the middle of another field :( However, it is near Thorpe Marsh Estate with plenty of opportunities.

Cheers.

Marker 2 All Saints Church Bramham Detail photograph by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Marker 2 All Saints Church Bramham Wider view photograph copy by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Inscription by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

How's the project coming along Andy? :D

Well, I researched Marker 3. Looked like there was an abandoned farmhouse near the 15k location. Thought it would work well at sunset. TPE checked. Sorted.

Decided to have a look around the other side of the River Aire, an hour later and nowt.

On arrival at said farmhouse......it was conspicuous by its absence. I took it well :)

Had a good walkaround. On Google Maps there were some nice hay bales....well, there were, but they were now wrapped in black plastic. I took it well :(

Not even a lone tree, which I took well.

I have a few photographs to import.

I walked back to my car and actually smiled. I thought, "I'm here, it's dry and warm....good stuff!"

There is a prison nearby HMP Wealstun which might be worth a mooch :)

Getting a bit expensive petrol wise as well!

Anyway, it's not supposed to be easy :D

Cheers, all.

Well at least your update made me smile, photographing a prison might not be taken very well by others :police:

Good effort for trying, I was tempted to say "stick with it" but I wonder if you may need a different direction, literally, how about Leeds to Manchester?

Well at least your update made me smile, photographing a prison might not be taken very well by others :police:

Good effort for trying, I was tempted to say "stick with it" but I wonder if you may need a different direction, literally, how about Leeds to Manchester?

No chance I'll give up or re-route.

Loads to keep me occupied :)

Cheers.

I really must keep a closer eye on the project threads ....this sounds interesting Andy, and challenging too, but that's not a bad thing. Love that gravestone inscription, what a little gem, so glad you posted it.

Good luck with your journey.

Thanks, Susie, it's a sslllooooowww burning project :)

Cheers.

.. nudge.. ;)

.. nudge.. ;)

Yeah, fair point :)

I have to say, I rather naively thought I'd turn up at the specific point and there would be an amazing photographic opportunity. That simply has not happened. I actually saw two 'illegal' fishers on a bank that would have made a great submission but I bottled it :(

I did want to do a literal take. Every 10,000 meters and find something there; then I have myself some latitude. It's still simmering, and will be resurrected. It was never going to be a weekly or monthly post.

Appreciate the nudge (y)

Cheers.

Back