B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

20170924_2479_1024_f.jpg

20170924_2423_1024_f.jpg

20170924_2490_1024.jpg

Duxford September 2017

Yes, that's pretty spectacular David and makes me realize how poor my efforts are.

I never get the time nor the opportunity for this sort of project - and tbh, I don't have the patience either - let alone the technical know-how. Sometimes, I feel like giving up all this Fuji nonsense :-(

No, credit where it's due, that is an absolutely superb effort.

Yes, that's pretty spectacular David and makes me realize how poor my efforts are.

I never get the time nor the opportunity for this sort of project - and tbh, I don't have the patience either - let alone the technical know-how. Sometimes, I feel like giving up all this Fuji nonsense :-(

No, credit where it's due, that is an absolutely superb effort.

Andrew, never give up!! I've been shooting Fuji X series for just over 5 years now, in that time I have really seen my photography improve, but it is just practice, practice, practice. It's well known that it takes 10,000 hours to get good at something, and I reckon thats probably right, and I'm still learning, day by day. For me though my photographic journey has been a bit like climbing a staircase, every now and again, I have a Eureka moment, and that gets me up another step. Developing post processing has also played a very important part, along with getting as much right in camera. I really feel comfortable now both with the handling of thecameras and the processing (though there is always room for improvement), and feel that I'm certainly starting to see what these great little cameras are really capable of.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken of an elderly Lady sitting on a wall appearing to be "Deep In Thought"

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/140th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Deep In Thought (3)-03128 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

I'm interested in having a go at mono shots. Here's one I took recently edited in Silver Efex Pro. Please tell me what I need to do to improve this shot for example - in terms of the black and white aspect, rather than the subject matter.

Thanks,
AL

37462923486_9b91c84d00_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ignoring the content to a degree I find it's all a bit "grey" in my view, needs more contrast, see the shots already posted above.
Matt

Thanks Matt. That's the sort of thing I needed to know.

AL
Welcome, now getting to the content :)
I prefer less content, if you look at the shots above, the ones that work (for me, and remember this is a personal thing) are those with minimal content, in particular (for me), the elderly lady, the church interior etc, actually I would say all of them apart from the one directly above yours, but do remember this is all very very subjective and what one person likes another may not. You could look at my post on the sunrise shot (Swanage) as an example of differing opinions, I would cut out the sunrise and leave just the rocks, everyone else said they would leave the sunrise in!

Just a simple Snapograph taken of a "War Time Sound Reflector". These constructions were used to give an early warning by picking up the sound of aircraft etc approaching across the channel during the war.
I've done a bit of messing about during PP to give a slightly grainy/gritty effect to this presentation.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/640th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
War Time Sound Reflector (M)-03163M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken of a young lad with his guitar doing a bit of street playing.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/45th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Muso (5)-10029M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Back