weekly Longimanus 52 of 2016 - Wk 37 added - Still playing catchup though

Hi Lee :)

Sorry a bit behind on comments, so quick catch up from me...

Metal - A very simple image that works soooooo well, love the light and pattern of perforations , nice one (y)

Captive - Shame the DoF just not deep enough for me, but liking the idea a lot, and the nice strong blacks and whites are nice and crisp :)

Miniature - I wasn't sure where you were going with this until I read your description, a nice dark background again and nicely caught eyes, your mini me sure looks engrossed in the TV :)

Many thanks for the kind comments, struggling not to do another photo of the boys this week

Hi Lee :)

Sorry a bit behind on comments, so quick catch up from me...

Metal - A very simple image that works soooooo well, love the light and pattern of perforations , nice one (y)

Captive - Shame the DoF just not deep enough for me, but liking the idea a lot, and the nice strong blacks and whites are nice and crisp :)

Miniature - I wasn't sure where you were going with this until I read your description, a nice dark background again and nicely caught eyes, your mini me sure looks engrossed in the TV :)

Hi Lee, I was about to type out longer crit when I scrolled further down and found that DK had pretty much said what I was going to!

Miniature is a nice capture - very natural. I tend to default to pushing the exposure quite high on kids as they have such good skin (non greasy) they can cope with it and it tends to be quite flattering. I think for single on-axis flash you've done very well as that's bloomin' hard lighting to get to work. Not sure if you have a bounce flash, but if you do, firing it off the walls/ceiling might help to give even more shape to the image? (Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!)

Great start...

Hi Lee, I was about to type out longer crit when I scrolled further down and found that DK had pretty much said what I was going to!

Miniature is a nice capture - very natural. I tend to default to pushing the exposure quite high on kids as they have such good skin (non greasy) they can cope with it and it tends to be quite flattering. I think for single on-axis flash you've done very well as that's bloomin' hard lighting to get to work. Not sure if you have a bounce flash, but if you do, firing it off the walls/ceiling might help to give even more shape to the image? (Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!)

Great start...
Hi

Many thanks for the comments, any help is much appreciated, I'm by no means an expert in flash photography so will take the advice into account when trying it this week

Abandoned
by Shark Seeker, on Flickr

Had a free morning today so decided to google 'Abandoned' in Sussex, came up with Racton Monument, it looked quite cool so took a trip out to see it.

Skies were really flat so tried a bit of HDR using the OMD and got some detail in the sky, bit annoyed that I have chopped off the bottom right corner.

Not sure if its over processed or not, so any feedback will be appreciated.

Ive missed 'Happy' gonna try and catch that up tomorrow

Hi Lee

Some good stuff posted so far. I particularly like the Miniature shot, nice detail & lighting. (y) Did you rotate it? If so, what a great idea.

Abandoned ... dark, dramatic ... but seems to be lacking fine detail. So I looked on Flickr, better when zoomed.

Last edited:
I can't check the detail on Abandoned because I'm posting from my phone but it doesn't matter anyway, it's a great, moody shot of a brilliantly spooky building.

Abandond
I think a little more contrast, to bring out some more detail?
But what an interesting old building (y)

Hi Lee, I love the aspect of this shot ...with the dark sky it looks very foreboding ...I was going to say I think it's maybe a bit too dark, but on the Flickr link it looks just right....excellent choice.

Thanks for the comments @susiejb, I get what you are saying about it being a bit dark, does seem so on here :)

Hi Lee

Some good stuff posted so far. I particularly like the Miniature shot, nice detail & lighting. (y) Did you rotate it? If so, what a great idea.

Abandoned ... dark, dramatic ... but seems to be lacking fine detail. So I looked on Flickr, better when zoomed.

Many thanks David, miniature shot was rotated in camera, Ive done a few of the kids like this and found them quite pleasing, if I can get them to stay still for a while :)

I can't check the detail on Abandoned because I'm posting from my phone but it doesn't matter anyway, it's a great, moody shot of a brilliantly spooky building.

Many thanks Nick for popping by and commenting

Abandond
I think a little more contrast, to bring out some more detail?
But what an interesting old building (y)

Im gonna have to go back and add a bit of contrast now and see what it looks like, many thanks for the tip

I want to get back here when the clouds are a bit more prominent and maybe use the 10 stopper to get the dreamy look

Thanks to all for popping by

Hi Lee.
Really liking your images so far.
Your metal shot especially, although it's blowing my mind!
When I scroll it up and down the screen, it kinda moves!
Optical illusion obviously, but freaking me out nonetheless :LOL:

Nice spot and a good angle which accentuates the theme for me. I too would like the shadows brought up, even if the sky were kept darker - I just want to see a touch more detail in that building... But well captured.

Great find lovely angle beautiful sky just a tad more contrast on the building over all supper find.(y)

abandoned is a very strong image, powerful and spooky

I've not heard of Racton Monument but you've made it look quite impressive. Love the b&w treatment.

I've not heard of Racton Monument but you've made it look quite impressive. Love the b&w treatment.
abandoned is a very strong image, powerful and spooky
Great find lovely angle beautiful sky just a tad more contrast on the building over all supper find.(y)
Nice spot and a good angle which accentuates the theme for me. I too would like the shadows brought up, even if the sky were kept darker - I just want to see a touch more detail in that building... But well captured.
Good shot and nice POV but I find it a little too dark
Hi, Lee, symmetry is a little off on abandoned but the perspective really works well as does the gritty processing.

Cheers.

Many thanks for all the comments, its definitely a place I will be going back to in the future

Excellent Lee.
On topic, bright colours, and sharp.

Hi Lee

Great photo, colourful and sharp and the concealment is really subtle - it had never occured to me how similar the sweets looked! If you mix them are they S&Ms? :exit:

I've never even considered them being so closely matched either. Spot on - love the vibrant colours. Would make an excellent abstract.

LOL they are very similar aren't they? I'd not thought about it either TBH, great idea Lee (y)

Nice shot Lee, very colourful and bang on topic. Well lit too.

Super bright eye catching shot Lee ....fitting the theme

Abandoned - interesting building and a good angle you used.

Camouflage - took me a long time before I realised what you had done, good colourful shot for the theme.

Lovely trail Lee (y)

Back