weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

Hi, interesting interpretation for Bold. The WB looks quite off, I did a quick WB adjust in LR and it popped a lot more. I'd prefer a cleaner BG and you might have included the reflection.

Cheers.

Thanks for your thoughts Andy - I really do appreciate the feedback. I messed around a bit with WB -in LR, if I use the eye dropper, the colours on the mug do pop more, but the background & surface look pretty washed out. Maybe there's no perfect answer for this one. I guess it might be possible to change the white balance on just the mug, but my processing is a long way off being able to do that :)

Bold [colours], OK I'll let you have it :) . If 'cold' comes up later you could use it again ;)

Thanks Martin :) - I found this theme the hardest so far - I'm almost afraid to look at what the new theme is, and I like your thinking - I might be able to recycle the mug for a future theme

Well done for trying something new even if it needs a bit of a crowbar to fit. (y):whistle: Nothing to add to the above crit

Thanks Jill - my least favourite theme so far...I really struggled for ideas, never mind, onwards and (hopefully) upwards :)

So, relax...after numerous shots, this is what I've come up with, trying to keep crit in mind from other weeks I've adjusted the wb, cropped out a corner of a picture frame that had sneaked into the photo, and believe it or not, I have sharpened the image. I think it's still a bit soft and the reason is that I couldn't quite hold my hands steady :oops: :$, but in the absence of someone to model, I think this is the best I can manage (I HATE being in front of a camera) so it probably looks far from relaxed :LOL:... I may go back at some point and try to do better, or shoot something else atogether...

View attachment 31264

Last edited:
It works as relaxed, Lorraine :)
I agree with your own crit, that it does look a little soft and I would suggest
maybe a wider crop, showing that your feet up on the settee, truly "putting your feet up" to relax.?

But as I understand it you women don't get time to sit down and put your feet up anyway :p

Relaxing with a nice tog mag, oh, yeah :)

Strange, I'm a quiet person but have taken loads of selfies.

Crit, pity you've got black trousers on because it's resulted in a large patch of black. The door behind your head, not sure if sitting at the other corner would have been better :thinking:

Anyway, we can both relax now :)

:whistle:
It works as relaxed, Lorraine :)
I agree with your own crit, that it does look a little soft and I would suggest
maybe a wider crop, showing that your feet up on the settee, truly "putting your feet up" to relax.?

But as I understand it you women don't get time to sit down and put your feet up anyway :p

Thanks Cobra :) ...and that's why you can't see my feet - they most definitely weren't propped up :whistle: :whistle:

Last edited:
Relaxing with a nice tog mag, oh, yeah :)

Strange, I'm a quiet person but have taken loads of selfies.

Crit, pity you've got black trousers on because it's resulted in a large patch of black. The door behind your head, not sure if sitting at the other corner would have been better :thinking:

Anyway, we can both relax now :)

Thanks Andy, I avoid camera's pointing at me at all costs, I hate having my photo taken, hich makes getting ID a bit tricky! As for the black, I read somewhere that it's very slimming :D

oddly enough, I usually sit at the other side, but that corner would have been much busier - there's a bookcase and all sort round there, this was the cleanest background I could get, other than shooting face on, I guess.

And yes, we can both sit back and enjoy the week now

Hi Lorraine

Bold.... on theme with a little crowbar ( but needs must sometimes ) , you've done well with the reflections & I quite like the little reflection you've got there :) Maybe increasing the saturation on the mug colors would help it pop a little more ?

Relax.....looks like hard work to me....:D Within the limitations of your room I reckon you've done well, it looks nice n natural, lovely little catch lights in your eye's & well exposed :)

Hi, certainly on theme and as you don't like being in front of the camera, i certainly understand that, it's a brave pic, agree with both Andy and Lynne crit wise

Hi Lorraine

Bold.... on theme with a little crowbar ( but needs must sometimes ) , you've done well with the reflections & I quite like the little reflection you've got there :) Maybe increasing the saturation on the mug colors would help it pop a little more ?

Relax.....looks like hard work to me....:D Within the limitations of your room I reckon you've done well, it looks nice n natural, lovely little catch lights in your eye's & well exposed :)

Thanks Lynne, it's good to hear the reflections (or lack of) has worked well. I do think that I am (slowly) learning a lot from this challenge :)

Relax - again, thanks. I have to say, I never realised how hard it was to hold a book steady while the camera did it's stuff, so it's great to hear that it looks like a natural pose :)

You go girl! It's a nice relaxed looking pic and kudos for you putting yourself in it when you hate being in pics so much (y)

You go girl! It's a nice relaxed looking pic and kudos for you putting yourself in it when you hate being in pics so much (y)

Thanks Jill, glad it comes across as relaxed - this challenge is really taking me out of my comfort zone, I'm enjoying it so much :)

Well, this wasn't my first idea, but the weather's not been kind this weekend and I won't have time through the week to do anything, so this is PABD.

My own crit would be that I've chopped the tops of the trees off....so there's not much green, and I'm wondering if cropping some of the sky off the top would be better. It's not the best time of year to do this sort of thing, it works better whn there are some leaves on the trees....

anyway, all comments & constructive crit welcome :)

Last edited:
Week 9 - Vertical,

Well, this wasn't my first idea, but the weather's been pretty poor over the weekend and I probably won't have time to do anything during the week.

This is something I've done before, but always when the trees are in leaf. I'm annoyed that I didn't get the tops of the trees in the shot, but hopefully it fits with the theme.

Any comments & constructive crit welcome :)

View attachment 31764

oops, I seem to have posted twice :oops: :$

Hi, i quite like this type of image, have tried it a few time myself with mixed results, this one works for me it's quite ghostly

Lorriaine I love your vertical image.
Like Andy, I've tried these many times and have never got a result I've been happy with.
It's the kind of image I'd love to have on a large canvas.

Abstract? No, not for me; sorry.

Interesting take on the theme Lorraine.

I've done these before but you've done well here, I initially though it was a reflection.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy :) I see what you mean about the reflection - I hadn't spotted it before

Lorriaine I love your vertical image.
Like Andy, I've tried these many times and have never got a result I've been happy with.
It's the kind of image I'd love to have on a large canvas.

Wow - thanks Ruth :)

Hi Lorrraine

Vertical

Certainly on theme, but finding hard to Crit.
I am right in thinking its a zoom burst

Thanks Darren. It's not quite a zoom burst, thr lens was at the same focal length, I just panned the camera upwards. I've tried zoom bursts before, but not had much luck

Something I haven't come across or even tried before. But might have to give it a try sometime. [emoji3]

you should -you just need a long exposure to give you time to pan the shot. You can do it horizontally as well, but I've not tried that

Hi Lorraine :)

A bit of a catch up from me... Sorry it looks like I have missed quite a few again :(

Companions - Awwwwe that is a wonderful image, liking your composition and the colours are really good too, even though an old shot a real nice choice :)

Elegant - What a wonderful building, the edit with the corrected verticals is excellent, loads of detail, nice light and shadows, a cracking shot of the building (y)

Watery - I actually like the odd bit of lens flare and this is one of them instances for me, it really emphasises the brightness of the lowering sun, and the starburst on the rim is great too :)

Bold - Not so sure on this one, the crop is a tad tight for me and would like to see more reflection, although the DoF is nice as is the nice low PoV :)

Relax - Bang on theme for me, not so keen of where the door is, but hey I guess it needs to look natural and this does :)

Vertical - Now this is a super abstract take on the theme, looks a bit trippy to me.. liking the muted colours and the dreamy/watery look - Nice One (y)

ooooh it looks like a water colour, lovely shot, and I think it says vertical without treetops :D

Hi Lorraine :)

A bit of a catch up from me... Sorry it looks like I have missed quite a few again :(

Companions - Awwwwe that is a wonderful image, liking your composition and the colours are really good too, even though an old shot a real nice choice :)

Elegant - What a wonderful building, the edit with the corrected verticals is excellent, loads of detail, nice light and shadows, a cracking shot of the building (y)

Watery - I actually like the odd bit of lens flare and this is one of them instances for me, it really emphasises the brightness of the lowering sun, and the starburst on the rim is great too :)

Bold - Not so sure on this one, the crop is a tad tight for me and would like to see more reflection, although the DoF is nice as is the nice low PoV :)

Relax - Bang on theme for me, not so keen of where the door is, but hey I guess it needs to look natural and this does :)

Vertical - Now this is a super abstract take on the theme, looks a bit trippy to me.. liking the muted colours and the dreamy/watery look - Nice One (y)

Hi, thanks for looking and for taking the time (and patience) to wade back through my posts and leave comments. I'm really glad that you liked most of them. The bold one was a bit rubbish really - I was sadly lacking in ideas that week so no excuses from me :)

Last edited:
Back