weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

Hi Lorraine, in case you didn't realise I love abstracts :ROFLMAO: and this is a belter :clap::clap::clap:

Wow - thanks Jill I'm so glad you liked it. I love abstracts - you can hide a multitude of sins in them ;) - of course, this one turned out just as planned:angelic:

Bold - a nice clean clear image with some bold colours on the cup, only a slight use of the shoehorn to fit the theme.

Relax - well it fits the theme, always good to sit down and read a photo mag or two. Crit wise it would of be nice to see a bit more of the face, showing a nice relaxed Look while reading.

Vertical - that's an interesting image, not had a go yet with that technique. Almost has a watercolour feel to it, good work.

Lorraine ... your Vertical image is a fantastic piece of artwork ... one for the wall. :clap:

I would love to know what the technique entails.

Hi Lorraine
Relax works for me! I wondered if you were firing the shutter release with your toes:).
Only thing for me is the door, just a slightly different angle to stop the door growing out of your head. By you can relax now it's done and dusted;). So, fits the theme well, chilling with a photography book! A little soft but that ok matches the soft furnishings:rolleyes:. Pretty even exposure across most of the frame might have just taken a brush to the wall with the light switch on to lift the exposure a little.

Vertical ooh thought I'd had some of those funny mushrooms for a moment;) It very much like a reflection. I had to do a zoom burst for another project and it kinda fried my brain! Anyhow it's always interesting to learn new things in photography I have found because you never know when someone is going to commission you to photograph something it's good to learn other disciplines. Ooh he that was all a bit high brow:eek:. So although not particularly my cuppa, it's very well executed, starting to get a bit hot in the top right hand corner. But gives a great sort of reflection vibe!

Nice work Lorraine (y)

Bold - a nice clean clear image with some bold colours on the cup, only a slight use of the shoehorn to fit the theme.

Relax - well it fits the theme, always good to sit down and read a photo mag or two. Crit wise it would of be nice to see a bit more of the face, showing a nice relaxed Look while reading.

Vertical - that's an interesting image, not had a go yet with that technique. Almost has a watercolour feel to it, good work.

Thanks for looking & commenting Mandy :)

Relax - that's about as brave as I get in fornt of a camera - the trick was finding a big enough book :D

Vertical - I'm glad you liked it, it's really very easy to do, but I've had some really nice comments about it

Last edited:
Lorraine ... your Vertical image is a fantastic piece of artwork ... one for the wall. :clap:

I would love to know what the technique entails.

Wow - thanks David. :)

It's pretty simple to do, I had the camera on a tripod and set a small aperture to give a longish exposure, then it's just a case of gradually (and smoothly if you can) tilting the camera upwards whilst the shutter's open. The only difficult part is timing - if you move too fast you get to the top of the trees before the shutter closes - you need to try to time it so the shutter closes as you reach the top-

Hi Lorraine
Relax works for me! I wondered if you were firing the shutter release with your toes:).
Only thing for me is the door, just a slightly different angle to stop the door growing out of your head. By you can relax now it's done and dusted;). So, fits the theme well, chilling with a photography book! A little soft but that ok matches the soft furnishings:rolleyes:. Pretty even exposure across most of the frame might have just taken a brush to the wall with the light switch on to lift the exposure a little.

Vertical ooh thought I'd had some of those funny mushrooms for a moment;) It very much like a reflection. I had to do a zoom burst for another project and it kinda fried my brain! Anyhow it's always interesting to learn new things in photography I have found because you never know when someone is going to commission you to photograph something it's good to learn other disciplines. Ooh he that was all a bit high brow:eek:. So although not particularly my cuppa, it's very well executed, starting to get a bit hot in the top right hand corner. But gives a great sort of reflection vibe!

Nice work Lorraine (y)

Thanks again for your feedback Steve, it's much appreciated :)

Relax - My toes have had years of training for this shot :D - seriously though, I just had the camera on a tripod and set the timer to take 5 exposures 2 seconds apart. I didn't even know the timer could be set like this until I tried this shot, so I'm definitely learning :). It took quite a few of these to get something I was reasonably happy with - it reminded me of the old cigar advert where the baldy guy is in a photo booth and the camera shoots just as he moves...but there's me showing my age!

Vertical - Thanks again, it wasn't quite the shot I wanted but I think the high wind would've killed my first choice. At least now the nights are getting lighter I might not have to dash around at the weekends. I've tried zoom bursts with stained glass windows, but I'm pretty rubbish at it really, I struggle to time the zoom so the shots just look like I've made a mess - or more of a mess than usual:LOL:

Hi Lorraine ....huge apologies for not visiting your thread more often ....I really need to get more organized.

I love abstracts too and your Vertical is great...an excellent choice for the theme.

Hi Susie,

No need to apologise, there's a lot of photos to comment on as so many are doing the challenge, so it's not possible to comment on everyone's shots. I'm glad you like the shot though, I'm really chuffed at the number of positive comments about this one :)

Week 10 - Mouth

No this one had me a bit stumped (as usual). And as I was away visiting my daughter at the weekend, this is pretty much a grab shot. We went to Winchester on Saturday, and I spotted this gargoyle on the West Gate. The sun was very bright, so the shadows are a bit harsh, but I'm not sure if I can remedy that. I've also cropped in very close as the face was tiny on the original image. I converted it to mono because I thought it looked a bit better than the colour image

View attachment 32426

Thanks for looking, any comments/crit welcome

As I said on the other (wrong) thread. Well spotted, to be fair though, if you hadn't have said that you converted it to BW I wouldn't have been able to tell :D, as to the shadows, these can be raised in LR, but that could introduce noise into the effected areas, ultimately though if the light is harsh, unless you add more light into the shadows, it will pretty much remain that way :(

Definitely fitting for Mouth, and the shadows are what they are. Unless we have unlimited time to hang around or turn up when the light is right we take what we can get Lorraine so I wouldn't worry about it :D

PS According to MrB who carves such things he says a Gargoyle is always a waterspout and if it is not a waterspout it is a Grotesque. So there you go :)

Wow - thanks David. :)

It's pretty simple to do, I had the camera on a tripod and set a small aperture to give a longish exposure, then it's just a case of gradually (and smoothly if you can) tilting the camera upwards whilst the shutter's open. The only difficult part is timing - if you move too fast you get to the top of the trees before the shutter closes - you need to try to time it so the shutter closes as you reach the top-

Blimey ... and I thought it was done in PP. Thanks .... must give it go. :)

That's a good gargoyle for the mouth theme. They can be quite tricky to get, being so high up normally, and yes the shadows this time of year.

I never seem to spot these things, so well well spotted.
Suits the theme well.

Hey Lorraine
Vertical: Really different! couldn't decide if it was a water reflection of trees or not at first - clever stuff
Mouth: I like it......B&W always a good choice for these gruesome looking things lol.

As I said on the other (wrong) thread. Well spotted, to be fair though, if you hadn't have said that you converted it to BW I wouldn't have been able to tell :D, as to the shadows, these can be raised in LR, but that could introduce noise into the effected areas, ultimately though if the light is harsh, unless you add more light into the shadows, it will pretty much remain that way :(

Thanks Chris :)

Mouth - a very fitting image for the theme, tho crit wise I find the shadows a bit harsh for the image.

Thanks Mandy - unfortunately the light was pretty harsh when I took the photo, hence the shadows :)

Definitely fitting for Mouth, and the shadows are what they are. Unless we have unlimited time to hang around or turn up when the light is right we take what we can get Lorraine so I wouldn't worry about it :D

PS According to MrB who carves such things he says a Gargoyle is always a waterspout and if it is not a waterspout it is a Grotesque. So there you go :)

Thanks Jill, I don't tink I'd have been popular if I asked if we could hang around for a couple of hours :D, and we'd pretty much seen all we wanted by that time.

Thanks to Mr B too - I knew there was a difference but I didn't know how to tell. it is most definitely a gargoyle then - lucky guess

That's a good gargoyle for the mouth theme. They can be quite tricky to get, being so high up normally, and yes the shadows this time of year.

Thanks David - it was pretty high up - it needed a massive crop, I'm really surprised the crop worked so well :)

I never seem to spot these things, so well well spotted.
Suits the theme well.

Thanks Ruth :)

Suits the theme well, shadows seem ok to me. B+w looks a good choice too.

Thanks Michael :)

Hey Lorraine
Vertical: Really different! couldn't decide if it was a water reflection of trees or not at first - clever stuff
Mouth: I like it......B&W always a good choice for these gruesome looking things lol.

Thanks Ferg - I think I need to do more of those tree shots, they are fun to do.

glad you like the B7W for mouth too :)

Hi there!

Vertical: I really like this. I had one in archive that I was going to use until I saw how good your one was then I had to re-think! A great shot and a perfect fit for the theme.

Mouth: Another good one. You can't do much about the light you had for the shot. I wonder if an even tighter crop would have helped with removing a few of the strong shadows?

another great shot :clap: certainly says mouth :)

Mod edited to read "donut" :D

A different image, Well spotted Lorraine (y)

Thanks Cobra :)

Hi there!

Vertical: I really like this. I had one in archive that I was going to use until I saw how good your one was then I had to re-think! A great shot and a perfect fit for the theme.

Mouth: Another good one. You can't do much about the light you had for the shot. I wonder if an even tighter crop would have helped with removing a few of the strong shadows?

Thank you Lee :) The crop on the moth shot was pretty tight, I might see what it looks like even closer though

another great shot :clap: certainly says mouth :)

Thank you :)

Week 11 - Crowd

a little bit of lateral thinking this week (or here's another one for the shoehorn). One of the things I love about Northumberland is that you can go out into the hills or to the coast and not see another soul (it's too cold at the coast for one thing), so here we go.... 'far from the madding crowd'...

View attachment 32720

View attachment 32721

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
I really like the VERTICAL shot. I was sure it was a reflection, until I read the comments.
The weeping ash in ELEGANT is superb, maybe in mono too?
A good take on CROWD, as you say, avoiding the crowds!!

The second Crowd picture is the better of the two since in the first shot the models dark trousers are lost in the dark rocks and I find the picture overall a little uninteresting as everything in it seems just too far away to get ones teeth in to. The second shot is brighter and the scenery is better; I think it shows the 'far from' thing better.

Great idea and a couple of really nice pictures. But as said already above a couple of minor tweaks to both would have made them even better.

in the first shot the models dark trousers are lost in the dark rocks and I find the picture overall a little uninteresting as everything in it seems just too far away to get ones teeth in to

Martin's words here are exactly what I was thinking of saying. #2 is much better with a strong leading curve from the left and some nice detail in the rocks. Your model might have benefited from a different pose (maybe sat down) as he looks a little uncomfortable and cold. You could probably lose a bit of that drab sky across the top with a letterbox (16x9) crop. But they are minor points I think. Definitely "far away" comes across here.

A nice play on words there Lorraine :)
A bit of a shoe horn, but it works none the less (y)

Although I'm going against the "crowd", ( :D ) I prefer #1 the way he seems to disappear into the background, makes more of a statement to me ;)

'far from the madding crowd' ... cool idea Lorraine.

I agree with the above: #2 (y)

Hi, number 1 for me maybe a little wider view an him looking out to sea would be a slight improvement, as said above nice play on words

I really like the VERTICAL shot. I was sure it was a reflection, until I read the comments.
The weeping ash in ELEGANT is superb, maybe in mono too?
A good take on CROWD, as you say, avoiding the crowds!!

Thanks Bob :)

Back