weekly Mandy's 2016 52 challenge week 8 Topical week 9 Living world week 10 Spiky added

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
l am looking forward to joining in with the fun again, I have missed it. Sadly I fell by the wayside and ended up on the wall of shame, for my 2015 effort. I now have some kind of an idea in what I am doing in the new job at wickes, which I started earlier this year. So my work/personal life has finally balanced it's self out, tho I have taken up another hobby alongside my photography. I always wanted to learn to play the guitar, so on May the 13th 2015 I began that journey. I enjoy it though it is hard work and sore on the fingers, I find it has a calming effect on me. So I find when I come to my cameras again I think with clarity, and feel able to concentrate better to learn new things.

My aims for this challenge are as follows,

1. Complete the 52 challenge.
  2. Have fun.
  3. No jokers.
  4. Constructive commenting on other people's threads.
  5. Improve my photography skills and pp skills.
  6. Get the best out of my new camera and lenses.
So with my intro out the way I will now happily await the first theme for 2016.

Week 0 - Old
Week 1 - Metal
Week 2 - Captive
Week 3 - Miniature
Week 4 - Happy
Week 5 - Abandoned
Week 6 - Camouflage
Week 7 - Danger
Week 8 - Topical
Week 9 - Living World
Week 10 - Spiky + Re shoot
Week 11 - Artificial
Week 12 - Personal
Week 13 - Effort
Week 14
Week 15
Week 16
Week 17
Week 18
Week 19
Week 20

Last edited:
Hello everyone and a Happy New Year, I am looking forward to this challenge again. I have a new camera and lenses to use I am keen to see what I am able to do and achieve, and really push my photography beyond my comfort zones. So after being very busy with the festive period and one or two new hobbies, like learning to play the guitar :D which is something I always wanted to do but never found the time. I have now found some time to settle into the new year with my cameras and learn what It is capable of doing, And I must admit I am really loving getting to grips with a full frame camera, I thought I would be a long way of being able to use one to any decent standard.

Week 1 Metal.

So today I had a small local job to do, and it was fun as it was photographing a motorbike. So I felt this image would sum up the theme Metal a treat, I am slightly behind comments and stuff so please accept my apologies as life has been hectic, things are settling down now so I will be able to make my way round the threads in due coarse and catch up on anything I may have missed.

Honda (28) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Really like the shiny detail of this and shallow dof works well.

Gaz

Very striking and definitely "metal" in at least two contexts - love the detail and DOF - very nice and look forward to seeing more :)

Hey the boys are back in town,
great subject for metal.
imho bit too central, i would try and lose negative space and frame to the right,
what was the Honda ?

Really like the shiny detail of this and shallow dof works well.

Gaz

Hi Mandy good to see you back, I think it would definitely take a closer crop but an excellent choice for the topic, really nice and shiny.

Heavy! Great.

Thanks all for the comments, all points taken on board will do a quick edit later on.

Hi Mandy glad you made it.
That's a lovely piece of metal, well taken (y)

Hello Mandy, cool idea for the theme, nice and sharp with plenty of pop.

Hi Mandy glad you made it.
That's a lovely piece of metal, well taken (y)

Hello Mandy, cool idea for the theme, nice and sharp with plenty of pop.

Morning and welcome back :)

That's a scary skull. Nice detail, I'd like to see it a little closer but I do like the narrative.

Cheers.

Thanks all for taking the time to look and comment, for those interested in the make of bike it's a custom build Honda CBR600F.

Very nice Dof and I really like how clear the face is. You can nicely see the surroundings in the reflection around the edge. Very nice (y)

Great to see you back Mandy and I love your opening shot - superb focus on the skull and great dof to give the blurry bg :clap:

Hi Mandy have to agree with the other about getting closer, nice focus on the skull though

Very nice Dof and I really like how clear the face is. You can nicely see the surroundings in the reflection around the edge. Very nice (y)

Great to see you back Mandy and I love your opening shot - superb focus on the skull and great dof to give the blurry bg :clap:

You have really nailed the focus and DOF and well on theme to add (y)

Hi Mandy have to agree with the other about getting closer, nice focus on the skull though

Thanks all for the comments and for taking the time to look.

Hey Mandy :)

Glad to also see you back in work and learning the guitar, things on the up !!!

Metal - Liking this one, my only crit would be it's dead centre of the frame, other than that it's a beautifully narrow DoF that is very effective, and the shine/reflection on the metal is wonderful great start to your 2016 challenge (y)

P.S. Not sure I see this in the 'Photos only thread' with a link to back to here ??

Hi Mandy.

Good choice for Metal. The highly polished chrome stands out well.
Would love to see it a tad larger in the frame though.

Presumably that's a bar end weight Mandy, I was thinking it was a peg initially, but not if it's a CBR600.
Great take on the Metal theme, glad to have you back again this year.
Lovely use of shallow DoF to blur out the brake lever, master cylinder and fairing.

Hope to see more of the bike during the year.

Hey Mandy :)

Glad to also see you back in work and learning the guitar, things on the up !!!

Metal - Liking this one, my only crit would be it's dead centre of the frame, other than that it's a beautifully narrow DoF that is very effective, and the shine/reflection on the metal is wonderful great start to your 2016 challenge (y)

P.S. Not sure I see this in the 'Photos only thread' with a link to back to here ??

Hi Mandy.

Good choice for Metal. The highly polished chrome stands out well.
Would love to see it a tad larger in the frame though.

Presumably that's a bar end weight Mandy, I was thinking it was a peg initially, but not if it's a CBR600.
Great take on the Metal theme, glad to have you back again this year.
Lovely use of shallow DoF to blur out the brake lever, master cylinder and fairing.

Hope to see more of the bike during the year.

Thanks very much for all the kind comments.

As others have said great DOF, really isolates the skull (states obvious) :)
Good luck with the challenge.

The idea behind this image for the theme is the fact that the man playing the guitar Considers himself to be " old ", and looking at the state of his bass guitar that is " old " looking as well.

Week 0 Old

Week 0 Theme Old by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

For week 2's theme I wanted to try and come up with something a little bit fun, So I felt it was time to bring out Mr Woody again. So it Would seem that Mr woody has been held " captive " and will be released safely in exchange for a couple of :jaffa::jaffa:, I had good fun taking this image. I even used a proper flashgun Nikon SB 800 so it talks to my camera properly lol ( if only i had a clue how to use it ).

Week 2 Captive

Week 2 Theme Captive by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Two nice images there Mandy, and that bass, certainly does look "well used" (y)

I find the background in old a little distracting - but am guessing there wasn't much you could do about it :) I love the simplicity of captive, the shadows work well (y)

Well done Mandy - you've settled on Captive I see after, like me, struggling to think of an image. Nice bot of action captured for Old and well lthought out set up for Captive. (I'm only just beginning with off camera flash ... mine is a Canon, and am enjoying learning).:clap:

Hi Mandy - two different images, each addressing their theme - although your 'old' image might also be apt for the 'metal' week.

Of the two, your captive image stands out - I like the uncluttered frame, the lighting and the shadow. The one think I might have opted for is to increase the negative space around the mannequin; keep him in the down left corner, but just a bit more white space might have emphasised the feeling of being trapped.

Enjoy and best wishes for the next 50

Spooks

The base is certainly old very nice sharp image; love the mannequin great idea well shot(y)

The bass is experienced!
Great capture for captive, I like the lighting, the shadow looks perfect. (y)

Mandy, Really like your captive photo. Good angle and like the lighting.

Two nice images there Mandy, and that bass, certainly does look "well used" (y)

I find the background in old a little distracting - but am guessing there wasn't much you could do about it :) I love the simplicity of captive, the shadows work well (y)

Well done Mandy - you've settled on Captive I see after, like me, struggling to think of an image. Nice bot of action captured for Old and well lthought out set up for Captive. (I'm only just beginning with off camera flash ... mine is a Canon, and am enjoying learning).:clap:

Hi Mandy - two different images, each addressing their theme - although your 'old' image might also be apt for the 'metal' week.

Of the two, your captive image stands out - I like the uncluttered frame, the lighting and the shadow. The one think I might have opted for is to increase the negative space around the mannequin; keep him in the down left corner, but just a bit more white space might have emphasised the feeling of being trapped.

Enjoy and best wishes for the next 50

Spooks

The base is certainly old very nice sharp image; love the mannequin great idea well shot(y)

The bass is experienced!
Great capture for captive, I like the lighting, the shadow looks perfect. (y)

Hi Mandy ...well that guitar certainly looks Old and well worn.

Good to see Woody and I really like the idea, you've managed the white background really well.

Mandy, Really like your captive photo. Good angle and like the lighting.

Thank you all so very much for stopping by and taking the time to look and comment. I really do appreciate the kind comments and feedback, it means so much to me.

Hi Mandy,
I somehow missed your last two photographs, particularly like the colours in the 'old' photograph and the simplicity of the 'captive' image.:) Liz

Back