weekly Mandy's 2018 TP 52 Challenge, Week 26 Elegant added

Hi Mandy

Straight I like that nice take on the theme nicely composed and good use of DoF.

Unattractive - Yep that works for me looks like a dredger ugly looking thing there should be a pair of old working boats moored in front of the museum

straight - great photo, great PoV and DoF and great colours! Not so sure about the background, have you tried it with a plain white background?
unattractive - I quite like industrial waste... background is a bit wonky, but I guess it is on theme.

Certainly an unattractive thing to be sitting at the side of a river, well seen

Hi Mandy

Straight I like that nice take on the theme nicely composed and good use of DoF.

Unattractive - Yep that works for me looks like a dredger ugly looking thing there should be a pair of old working boats moored in front of the museum

straight - great photo, great PoV and DoF and great colours! Not so sure about the background, have you tried it with a plain white background?
unattractive - I quite like industrial waste... background is a bit wonky, but I guess it is on theme.

Certainly an unattractive thing to be sitting at the side of a river, well seen

Grey sky, grey dredger. (y)

Thanks for dropping by

Straight: like the idea, also like the BG I feel it works, nice guitar, never got the chance this Christmas to get my guitar out.
Unattractive: I would fine that old barge unattractive, so well done for getting out in rain.

Walter

Straight
A good shot for straight, I like the pov and the woodgrain.

Hi Mandy,
I like your thinking for Juxtaposition, which was a tricky theme, and there's the added bonus of being able to eat all of your props!
Which leads nicely into.... Oval, and yet more edible props :D These are colourful and nicely arranged, and you've done well with the highlights on the reflective wrapping too.
Straight - such lovely warm colours and grain patterns in the wood. Shame about the slightly distracting background but the weather has been a real challenge so far this year, and this is an unusual and interesting subject for this theme (y)
Unattractive - an unattractive subject under an unattractive grey sky. Tick :)

I love big old industrial working hardware, so I dont find the Dredge unattractive at all Im sorry to say....

Hi Mandy,

Straight - @d00d is possibly right about the focal point, worth re-shooting maybe on the next re-shoot? Cool idea though with plenty of detail :)
Unattractive - Hmm, I have to disagree, the shear size, form and purpose of the dredger stops it from being unattractive in my eyes. Perhaps not a thing of beauty though.

Straight: like the idea, also like the BG I feel it works, nice guitar, never got the chance this Christmas to get my guitar out.
Unattractive: I would fine that old barge unattractive, so well done for getting out in rain.

Walter

Definitely works for the theme Mandy and the rain worked in your favour, it adds that extra touch of unnatractiveness to the shot.

Straight
A good shot for straight, I like the pov and the woodgrain.

Hi Mandy,
I like your thinking for Juxtaposition, which was a tricky theme, and there's the added bonus of being able to eat all of your props!
Which leads nicely into.... Oval, and yet more edible props :D These are colourful and nicely arranged, and you've done well with the highlights on the reflective wrapping too.
Straight - such lovely warm colours and grain patterns in the wood. Shame about the slightly distracting background but the weather has been a real challenge so far this year, and this is an unusual and interesting subject for this theme (y)
Unattractive - an unattractive subject under an unattractive grey sky. Tick :)

I love big old industrial working hardware, so I dont find the Dredge unattractive at all Im sorry to say....

Hi Mandy,

Straight - @d00d is possibly right about the focal point, worth re-shooting maybe on the next re-shoot? Cool idea though with plenty of detail :)
Unattractive - Hmm, I have to disagree, the shear size, form and purpose of the dredger stops it from being unattractive in my eyes. Perhaps not a thing of beauty though.

Unattractive, on theme as like that it`s grey skies and grey boat.

Unattractive - I can where you were coming from with it, I think it could do with lifting the exposure a little and straighten up to make it stand out better :)

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Straight - good PoV and symmetry I like it.
Unattractive - yep that's an ugly old lump of machinery
Shadow - spot on for the theme, simple and effective.

This seemed like a nice easy theme for me, but for what I wanted to photograph the wind was against me. So it didnt turn out to be all that easy a task after all, I was after a nice beautiful image of some tree blossom as we are at the time where the apple blossom trees and such like come out to bloom. I went out in the car for a nice drive around Burford way and couldn't find any trees that I could get to legally, so I ended up coming home and taking a walk round my block where there are some nice trees out in bloom. My own crit is as follows, I am not to keen on the BG but as the tree is some loved ones memorial tree, I thought it would be a bit disrespectful to attempt to steady the branch for a more cleaner composition. So I feel this theme may feature in the next reshoot and hopefully a day with no wind would help as well, but its a box ticked and its the best out of the 78 images I had shot for the theme.

Beautiful Prunus serrulata 'Ukon

Beautiful by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

That is really, really well done, it's so hard to keep the details in flowers but with the light behind like that it really picks out the petals. :clap:

Shadow .... just wondering if the reflections could be cropped off making letterboxy. o_O

Last edited:
Shadow

It's a pretty good shot. I think the shadow could have been a little darker, but other than that, it's a thumbs up from me.

Beautiful

Looks good to me, like @sirch said, the back light has work with you to retain details in the white petals.

Mandy

Straight, nice idea, but the strings disappear on the TP version of the image but they are straight. I love the gain on the guitar.
Unattractive, its a big bit of unattractive I give you that and the building behind is no better.Picture looks like it's not level and maybe it would look better with the top of the building showing. It does not look much taller.
Shadow, nice simple image.
Beautiful, great flowers there Mandy, well isolated from the backround and plenty of details in the flowers, so well exposed.

Hi Mandy catching up again!

Shadow - Great take on the theme nice and simple but so effective

Beautiful - Nice use of DoF nicely exposed with some lovely detail

Hi Mandy,

Shadow - not sure why you're not 100% happy with it, it seems well executed to me. The mono processing works well with it.
Beautiful - Would it have been possible to have all 3 stigma in sharp focus by changing angle? I don't know if it would, especially as you were going for shallow DoF. (I do know I couldn't have done any better ;) )
Good shot, well exposed. Not easy with all those different whites.

That is really, really well done, it's so hard to keep the details in flowers but with the light behind like that it really picks out the petals. :clap:

Beautiful is good as it would be so easy to blow the whites, good job done.

Shadow .... just wondering if the reflections could be cropped off making letterboxy. o_O

Very pretty blossom Mandy' and perfect for the theme, I really like Shadow too.

Shadow

It's a pretty good shot. I think the shadow could have been a little darker, but other than that, it's a thumbs up from me.

Beautiful

Looks good to me, like @sirch said, the back light has work with you to retain details in the white petals.

Well done keeping the detail in the whites. I took a few white flower shots but none have the detail yours has.

Lovely delicate details and tones, Mandy, and you've controlled the highlights well (y)

Mandy

Straight, nice idea, but the strings disappear on the TP version of the image but they are straight. I love the gain on the guitar.
Unattractive, its a big bit of unattractive I give you that and the building behind is no better.Picture looks like it's not level and maybe it would look better with the top of the building showing. It does not look much taller.
Shadow, nice simple image.
Beautiful, great flowers there Mandy, well isolated from the backround and plenty of details in the flowers, so well exposed.

Hi Mandy catching up again!

Shadow - Great take on the theme nice and simple but so effective

Beautiful - Nice use of DoF nicely exposed with some lovely detail

Hi Mandy,

Shadow - not sure why you're not 100% happy with it, it seems well executed to me. The mono processing works well with it.
Beautiful - Would it have been possible to have all 3 stigma in sharp focus by changing angle? I don't know if it would, especially as you were going for shallow DoF. (I do know I couldn't have done any better ;) )
Good shot, well exposed. Not easy with all those different whites.

Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment, all the comments are much appreciated.

I am on another small catch up, I went for a lovely drive with my friend through the New forest on Wednesday the 9th. Had a great day out plenty of photos of the ponies and some decent shots of me with my car as well, then we headed into Mudeford quay for lunch. Went for a nice walk round and had a beautiful lunch at the Haven House Inn, and then we went for a walk and I saw an opportunity to grab my next image for the challenge.

"Low" tide at Mudeford Quay

Low tide by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

If you don’t mind me saying Mandy all the shots are on theme but they seem a little underexposed, do you use the histogram at all? I think it would help they just need a little more punch to them

Hmm. I was going to ask if it was a high level cloud causing this to take on the appearance of an overcast day, and ponder what could be done my boosting the contrast to make the image more punchy.
Seems Dave & Allan beat me to it.
Nicely on theme, that boat could do with some TLC, not sure I'd want to go out in it.

Hi Mandy.

Low - not sure if I would frame the boat the same way you did it, but it looks nice. Maybe could be a bit more punchy as mentioned, but personally wouldn't change much.
Beautiful - it is indeed, very good exposure, nice details.
Shadow - simple, yet effective.
Unattractive - certainly, good pick and execution.

If you don’t mind me saying Mandy all the shots are on theme but they seem a little underexposed, do you use the histogram at all? I think it would help they just need a little more punch to them

I must admit to not always paying attention to the histogram, and I should take a bit more time when editing my images.

Low tide is nicely on theme Mandy, agree with Allan that it needs a bit more punch but on theme.

Thank you for dropping by.

Hmm. I was going to ask if it was a high level cloud causing this to take on the appearance of an overcast day, and ponder what could be done my boosting the contrast to make the image more punchy.
Seems Dave & Allan beat me to it.
Nicely on theme, that boat could do with some TLC, not sure I'd want to go out in it.

Thanks for dropping by, I have to agree with you I am not sure i would want to go out on that boat either.

Hi Mandy.

Low - not sure if I would frame the boat the same way you did it, but it looks nice. Maybe could be a bit more punchy as mentioned, but personally wouldn't change much.
Beautiful - it is indeed, very good exposure, nice details.
Shadow - simple, yet effective.
Unattractive - certainly, good pick and execution.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look and comment on a few of my images.

Shadow - Great idea, very well executed! Great lighting and you didn't overblow the highlights!
Beautiful - right on theme, great details
Low - Again a great idea, nice scenery, great textures in the rocks in the foreground... (y)

Low tide is a good idea for the theme ;), perhaps a slight shame the boat wasn't more colourful but we can't always find that perfect shot.

I like this, scenic, muddy, intriguing flat bottomed boat with cute writing on the back, serious military type ID on the side.

Back