weekly Mandy's 2019 TP-52 Challenge Week 6 and Week 7 themes added

Like it, looks cold with the snow and bleakness. The multiple tree lines give it depth.

That's very mono Mandy :) The use of the letterbox with the tree right on the edge and the hedge & hills converging to the right works really nicely. No issue with the sky on this for me (in-fact clouds etc. might have been a distraction).

Hi Mandy good to see you back for 2019

New - Really like the DoF on this one great colour contrast between the red and the black of the helicopter.

Clean - Nicely composed image I like the B&W conversion suits the subject.

Open - Lovely image of a very grand looking building.

Distant - Nice use of DoF to make the most of the distant planters nicely composed

Cold - Very nice indeed as has been said looks better viewed on Flickr with the black ground

Works well, in mono and the crop you have chosen. The tree is exactly where it's meant to be!!
whilst you have used a slightly unorthodox crop, i really like it. i like the way the snow takes you along to the tree. nicely done.
The tree actually makes this cold shot a very good image imo, even the sky helps the whole image just look and feel cold.
Hi Mandy the crop and the tree suit the image really well, I think the blank sky makes it work well in mono and definitely gives you a cold feeling
Very nice image Mandy!
The tree is perfect and the wide crop really works well - a wise choice of composition.
The white (featureless) sky actually works for me....not sure why, I just rather like it, I think your crop really works well.
I think because I have the default white background on the TP site, the sky almost appears as if it's not there....makes it more unusual for me!
Nice work Mandy!(y)
The featureless sky i don't mind at all, but the snowy ground for me looks odd, like blown highlights. Composition is very nice, tree well positioned.
Well worth looking at this image on flickr to see all the detail it has. Fits the theme well.
It definitely looks better on Flicky Mandy away from the white background. Sometimes it pays to put a very fine black frame around a white image or it gets lost on the page. Its a really nice shot,very effective, I like it a lot.
Cold
Nice crop, it looks decidedly cold and bleak.
Like it, looks cold with the snow and bleakness. The multiple tree lines give it depth.
I agree with 'bleak; that's exactly how it looks. Cold and bare and your crop works well.
That's very mono Mandy :) The use of the letterbox with the tree right on the edge and the hedge & hills converging to the right works really nicely. No issue with the sky on this for me (in-fact clouds etc. might have been a distraction).
Hi Mandy good to see you back for 2019

New - Really like the DoF on this one great colour contrast between the red and the black of the helicopter.

Clean - Nicely composed image I like the B&W conversion suits the subject.

Open - Lovely image of a very grand looking building.

Distant - Nice use of DoF to make the most of the distant planters nicely composed

Cold - Very nice indeed as has been said looks better viewed on Flickr with the black ground

Thanks everyone for the comments.

It's time for me to catch up on a few themes, I wont post them all at once give people chance to look an comment first so I will start with my images for the themes waiting and rough.

Waiting as a theme didnt inspire me but my image for the theme is "waiting" for spring as i for the life of me couldn't think of anything else to do. My own crit is i feel it could be much sharper than it actually is but it was windy when i shot the image. But for me its a box ticked and I can move on to the next theme.

Week 6 Waiting for spring

Waiting for spring by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

My image for Rough was taken at Raglan castle, from a recent day trip out to visit Chepstow castle and then on to visit Raglan castle.

Week 7 The great tower at Raglan castle looking a bit "Rough" round the edges.

Rough by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Two good shots. I agree with you with WAITING, it looks a bit soft.
ROUGH - superb. The overcast sky adds to the effect.

Waiting: Love the colours and the vignette. you have said it yourself about the sharpness. I still really like this image though.
Rough: looks like you were lucky with the light as it really enhances the rough texture of the bricks well.

Waiting- I like the softness, and the vignette works well with it too
Rough-great idea for the theme, nicely done

Two very nice images for Waiting and Rough. I especially like the white vignette in waiting and the light in Rough has really brought out the texture created by the stone blocks.

Mandy, rough round the edges ! That’s great ! I would convert this to mono especially with those dark clouds. Dramatic I think ?

I really like both images Mandy.(y)
Waiting: The colours are fantastic here. As you have said, it's not terrifically sharp, but your inclusion of the vignette has given it a kind of vintage feel, which I think more than vindicates the lack of sharpness. It fits the image very well.
Rough: Great image and a perfect fit for the theme. Like Chris above, I am also curious what it would look like as a B&W, but as it is, it's still jolly good.
Lovely contrasts and tones, and that sky is terrific!

Nice waiting image. Beautiful flower and I think the soft white vignette sets it off nicely

I like the rough castle too. I'm a sucker for a castle and this is a very interesting looking one

Hi Mandy

Just catching up

Open, nice photo,perfect for the theme, I like the way the background disappears into the haze. Crop works well, looks great on flickr.

Distance, works well, good sence of distant and dof works for it as well.

Cold, I like the minimalistic effect of this one, the tree makes it work so well.

Waiting, I like the effect on this image, gives it and old world feeling.

Rough, Can't deny its a bit rough, only crit I have is it's a shame there is not a little bit more of that wonderful sky.

Pete

Waiting - I like the processing on this.

Rough - Perfect for the theme as you say a little rough around the edges I like the sky. I wonder if a mono conversion would make it pop even more?

Two good shots. I agree with you with WAITING, it looks a bit soft.
ROUGH - superb. The overcast sky adds to the effect.
Waiting: Love the colours and the vignette. you have said it yourself about the sharpness. I still really like this image though.
Rough: looks like you were lucky with the light as it really enhances the rough texture of the bricks well.
Waiting- I like the softness, and the vignette works well with it too
Rough-great idea for the theme, nicely done
Two very nice images for Waiting and Rough. I especially like the white vignette in waiting and the light in Rough has really brought out the texture created by the stone blocks.
Mandy, rough round the edges ! That’s great ! I would convert this to mono especially with those dark clouds. Dramatic I think ?
I really like both images Mandy.(y)
Waiting: The colours are fantastic here. As you have said, it's not terrifically sharp, but your inclusion of the vignette has given it a kind of vintage feel, which I think more than vindicates the lack of sharpness. It fits the image very well.
Rough: Great image and a perfect fit for the theme. Like Chris above, I am also curious what it would look like as a B&W, but as it is, it's still jolly good.
Lovely contrasts and tones, and that sky is terrific!
I like the soft focus around the Daffodil Mandy, it gives really nice effect, it can be a pain trying to photograph flowers when it’s windy and they won’t keep still!

Rough is perfect for the theme, so many lovely rough texture and edges there.
Nice waiting image. Beautiful flower and I think the soft white vignette sets it off nicely

I like the rough castle too. I'm a sucker for a castle and this is a very interesting looking one
Hi Mandy

Just catching up

Open, nice photo,perfect for the theme, I like the way the background disappears into the haze. Crop works well, looks great on flickr.

Distance, works well, good sence of distant and dof works for it as well.

Cold, I like the minimalistic effect of this one, the tree makes it work so well.

Waiting, I like the effect on this image, gives it and old world feeling.

Rough, Can't deny its a bit rough, only crit I have is it's a shame there is not a little bit more of that wonderful sky.

Pete
Waiting - I like the processing on this.

Rough - Perfect for the theme as you say a little rough around the edges I like the sky. I wonder if a mono conversion would make it pop even more?

Thanks ladies and gents for the lovely comments on my recent images, now i just need to post the rest of my images to bring me up to date.

Waiting is a lovely image, nice colours
Rough is a great choice for the theme.

Hi Mandy,

Waiting - Good use of the reverse vignette there, it doesn't often work, but it does for this.
It has an old film feel (y)
Rough - A castle I remember from when I was a kid and that's a great moody shot of it. :clap:

Back