weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Hi Mandy

Balance.......like the complimentary tone of the bg, nicely angled across the frame & right on theme :)

Attached.......can't falt you for picking a shot of your bike but agree with Dk re finding a better bg.......but as you're in for next year I'm sure there'll be a reshoot opportunity (y)

Don't blame you for picking an archive shot of your bike looking super clean and shiny - you're obviously very attached to it! Not far to go now - hang on in there (y)

Thanks every one for the comments, it has meant alot to me having your support through out this challenge I am now on the home straight I will have this challenge finished by the end of the night if it kills me lol.

The year has flown by so quickly it only seems like last week that I started this challenge and what fun and games I have had with it. I am now on my massive catch up with my last images so in no particular order here we go.

Extravagant I have taken a pick of what I got for Christmas from my mum and dad as it is my favourite posh smellies, and to me they are extravagant price wise as they are not something
I can normally afford. My own crit is once again my background, i really need to work on better backgrounds for my images. But I do find it really hard living in a small flat and have no storage space for anything.

Week 51 Extravagant

Extravagant by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

week 49 and the theme round I have gone for a simple image of my other SLR camera sat on my tripod as the tripod head spins round, but the main point of the image is the lens attached to the camera with it being round.

Round

Round by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Well done Mandy... Your determination and positive attitude is a tremendous asset to yourself, (y)

I can see those smellies being set on the side of a bathtub, with loively soapy bubbles around their bases, with tiles forming the background, maybe a candle or two somewhere?? :)

The camera is nicely lit, but... I think needs to be further from the BG to loose the shadow. Any plain wall would do.

Anyway... I see you're going for it again next year. Be good to see you put some of the simple suggestions made into practice which could really take your ideas and turn them into compelling images.

week 46 theme Smooth another simple take for the theme a photo of one of my doors in my flat as they are nice and smooth to the touch.

Smooth by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

For week 50 Nonsense I am going to have to play a Joker as I cant think of anything at all what so ever to do and I am sad to say it is an old archive image.

Joker by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done Mandy... Your determination and positive attitude is a tremendous asset to yourself, (y)

I can see those smellies being set on the side of a bathtub, with loively soapy bubbles around their bases, with tiles forming the background, maybe a candle or two somewhere?? :)

The camera is nicely lit, but... I think needs to be further from the BG to loose the shadow. Any plain wall would do.

Anyway... I see you're going for it again next year. Be good to see you put some of the simple suggestions made into practice which could really take your ideas and turn them into compelling images.

Thanks for the message and for taking the time to look.

Hiya Mandy - wow that's some catch up :)

Extravagent: perfectly on theme as it does look quite extravagent! I think a stop of exposure to lift it would make it pop more and maybe bouncing the flash off the ceiling if possible would help soften/hide shadows, but a nicely on theme shot.

Round: again nicely on theme. You do like your shadows, don't you ;) I'm not sure it helps in this photo as the lens shadow sort of interferes (for me) with the head of the tripod... but that might well be me. Again, it wouldn't be hurt IMO by a slight exposure lift but that can be personal preference...

Smooth: once again you've nailed the theme! Some interesting patterns there and no shadows ;)

Fall: well, I'm guessing it fell there at some point ;) It's nicely lit and showing the texture of the rock - the shadows don't bother me this time. Again, maybe me, but a slight exposure lift could make it jump more?

Pure: this is your best one so far from this batch for me! Helped by my love for Blackadder, mind... background nicely OOF.

Graham and Dean have made some suggestions which might be helpful and I'm pleased you'll be back for the TP'15 ... looking forward to it!

Hiya Mandy - wow that's some catch up :)

Extravagent: perfectly on theme as it does look quite extravagent! I think a stop of exposure to lift it would make it pop more and maybe bouncing the flash off the ceiling if possible would help soften/hide shadows, but a nicely on theme shot.

Round: again nicely on theme. You do like your shadows, don't you ;) I'm not sure it helps in this photo as the lens shadow sort of interferes (for me) with the head of the tripod... but that might well be me. Again, it wouldn't be hurt IMO by a slight exposure lift but that can be personal preference...

Smooth: once again you've nailed the theme! Some interesting patterns there and no shadows ;)

Fall: well, I'm guessing it fell there at some point ;) It's nicely lit and showing the texture of the rock - the shadows don't bother me this time. Again, maybe me, but a slight exposure lift could make it jump more?

Pure: this is your best one so far from this batch for me! Helped by my love for Blackadder, mind... background nicely OOF.

Graham and Dean have made some suggestions which might be helpful and I'm pleased you'll be back for the TP'15 ... looking forward to it!

Thanks for the massive crit some useful comments to take forward to the new challenge.

week 45 First For me I am beaming from ear to ear as this is my FIRST close encounter with my favourite EC135 Helicopter And my ( FIRST photo ) that landed in a field just across the road from my flat. I couldn't grab my camera and shoes fast enough, I asked the pilot if I could take a few snaps of my favourite helicopter and he was more than happy to oblige and answer my questions.
I am still grining like a Cheshire cat, I didn't think I could get as close as I did to her, but she really is an amazing peace of kit.

First

First by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Week 52 and the theme Support, I have chosen an extract from the dictionary with the meaning. I would like to take the time to thank each and every person that has offered me help and support in my first ever 52 Challenge. I have had times when I have pulled my hair out and times and there have been times when I have :crying: but I have learnt so much from this Challenge and I hope somewhere along the lines it has helped me improve with what limited gear I still have at the moment. All that remains for me to say is I wish every single one of you a wonderful and Happy New Year and let the 2015 Challenge Commence.

Week 52 theme Support

Support by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Well done for getting your 52 finished Mandy, shame it was a rush at the end, but needs must and it stands you in good stead to start the 2015 in good spirits.

Also please try to take the suggestions from others on board and think on your backgrounds, as your lighting is getting there and will only take a biot of thought now to improve your images immensly... good luck with the 2015 challenge (y)

Well done Mandy, that's a mega catch up, with some great images (y), Blackadder, good choice :D

Happy New Year, good look with next years '52 :snaphappy:

Week 43 theme Grow just a simple shot of my house plant, I still have no idea what it is called though, that will teach me for removing the label.

Grow

Grow by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy,

I think your plant is a kalanchoe (wiki link). A good shot with everything in focus, perhaps reduce the depth of field to throw the background out of focus, or move the plant further forward to blur the background. Also, the flash is a little harsh on the leaves of the plant, perhaps bouncing the flash or putting some tissue paper over it would reduce the strength enough for it not to show too much on the leaves.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi MAndy

some mega catch up there...far too many to comment on really in one go !

As Dean said re backgounds........large sheets of colored card cost pennies & take up very little space....I store mine under the sofa :) All shots look on theme & you definitely have the ability to produce in focus,sharp shots (y) I'm looking forward to seeing you use your new backgrounds & things you've learnt from this years challenge to create some truly lovely images in 2015 (y)

Wishing you all the best for 2015 :)

Great catch up Mandy, they're coming fast and furious. All good stuff and many congratulations on doing the 52s.

Congratulations on the big catch up and finishing your first 52 (y)

Back