weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

Rustic is the stand out for me Andrea; I think the apex shape adds to the interest. Broad: the letterbox does emphasise the width of the shot and the windy cloud scene shows well in the B&W You're well on the way now and still time to finish up

A Broad expanse of the sea/ocean, a nice shot it is too Andrea, goes very well in mono :)

Thanks David, I would have liked better light but grey and flat seems to be the story of the last few weeks! Mono brings the most out of the sky, I think.

Broad works for me Andrea. Broad and Wide a synonyms, so (y), and Gratz on getting over the line :)
I think you've done a good job with the sky, this past week has been horrible for getting a decent sky, and what you have definitely says moody.
B&W suits it. I like the leading line you've captured, using the road to lead the eye down to the sea and then off towards the island.

Thanks, Tim, I tried a few angles to get this view, which is a narrow twisty road on the final run down to the car park. It was another fairly grotty day but including the road and the stone walls definitely seemed to add some interest, and I was glad to get the sky before the heavens opened again :)

Loving that Rustic image Andrea, the building stands out against the sky a treat, love detail like this !!!

Nearly there, keep em coming :) (y)

Thanks, Dean. Like most of my recent images the weather and light were grey but converting to mono made the most of the interesting textures and details. Yes, just two to go - fire up that spreadsheet :D

Rustic is the stand out for me Andrea; I think the apex shape adds to the interest. Broad: the letterbox does emphasise the width of the shot and the windy cloud scene shows well in the B&W You're well on the way now and still time to finish up

Thank you, John, I'm just about to post my final two images and feel up to date before week 1's theme tomorrow :) I agree the shape of the roof in Rustic does add some interest. It wasn't my first choice for the theme (I'd found a 1958 combine harvester in the farm yard) but once on the PC screen this was the best image.

Week 51 - Festive

51 Festive by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I know many people have already opted for tree decorations for this theme but I've always loved the traditional design of this one and his huge beard and happy face, so here he is. Just managed to squeeze some reflected light into the background too, although I think I'd have done a better job if feeling 100%. One to go....

Week 52 - Weather

And here it is.... the final image of my first completed 52! :banana::banana:

52 Weather
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr+

Taken yesterday at about 1pm, it shows the first signs of the imminent arrival of Storm Eleanor at the southern tip of the island. This is the light tower on Thousla Rock, which stands in the narrow channel between the Isle of Man and the Calf of Man and emits a red beacon to warn shipping. The cliffs in the background are the northern side of the Calf.

Apart from the sea, which is beginning to roughen up here, I love the way the sea birds are swooping around in the strong air currents between the islands and looking as though they're really enjoying themselves. I think they convey the swirling winds that were the precursor to a day of gales and rain.

On a note to anyone who has followed my thread and knows my recent absence was mainly due to worry about our 15-year-old doggy and her various ailments, I'm pleased to write that she's still plodding along and having some good days and I'm sure that has helped me to crack on and finish this with, ooh, hours to spare before week 1's theme for 2018 :)

Finally, thank you to everyone who has looked in and commented, offered critique, advice and encouragement. It has been much appreciated :ty:

Last edited:
Well done for keeping going and finishing your 52-2017. Your last little catch up has some cracking photos, i especially like festive and weather.

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Good choice going monochrome, concentrates brain on the textures. There is enough going on in the sky and exposure lets it be seen.

Wk 51 - Festive - Ho, ho, ho! Very festive and nice oof lights in background (refuse to use the B***H word)

Wk 52 - Weather - Nice weather for gulls ;) - Was a good plan to get shot before the storm really got there. Good feel of movement from the Great Black-backed Gulls and the waves.

Right then, I see I was a bit early congratulating you in finishing yesterday..
So... Congrats on finishing Andrea :)

Festive - Bang on theme, nicely restrained bokeh, but it's there and good. Plenty of detail. (y)
Weather - Plenty of action in that shot, crisply caught. It certainly shows an angry sea.
That's not a channel I'd want to try to sail a boat down!

Lovely pair of images to finish the year off with Andrea, good job and congrats on getting to the end....

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Good choice going monochrome, concentrates brain on the textures. There is enough going on in the sky and exposure lets it be seen.

Wk 51 - Festive - Ho, ho, ho! Very festive and nice oof lights in background (refuse to use the B***H word)

Wk 52 - Weather - Nice weather for gulls ;) - Was a good plan to get shot before the storm really got there. Good feel of movement from the Great Black-backed Gulls and the waves.

Thanks very much for sticking with me to the end, David. A few years ago my camera used to get tucked away for the winter and come out again in the Spring, so in a way it's nice to be able to capture something of the weather at this time of year. I had hoped to get out for some of the bigger waves later in the day but ran out of time. I'm glad you've decided to stay in the 52 again and look forward to catching up with you on your new thread. Like you, I'll aim to be more up to date this year :)

Right then, I see I was a bit early congratulating you in finishing yesterday..
So... Congrats on finishing Andrea :)

Festive - Bang on theme, nicely restrained bokeh, but it's there and good. Plenty of detail. (y)
Weather - Plenty of action in that shot, crisply caught. It certainly shows an angry sea.
That's not a channel I'd want to try to sail a boat down!

Thank you, Tim, and the congrats are doubly appreciated :) After some 'meh' images recently I was glad to finish with a couple of stronger ones.

I have watched small boats navigate the Sound in relatively calmer conditions and it's pretty choppy through there at the best of times. Yesterday it was too rough for anything although the Gulls seemed to be having great fun. Look forward to catching up with you in your 2018 thread and thank you for all your comments.

Lovely pair of images to finish the year off with Andrea, good job and congrats on getting to the end....

Thank you, Mark. It feels good to finally finish one and now I have to keep this going into the new 52 :) Look forward to catching up with your new thread.

Broad ... that'll do, very nicely composed including the road like that. Great sky. (y)

Festive ... you're right ".... huge beard and happy face" .... nice one.

and a truly excellent one to finish off ... Weather ... love the FG and BG rock detail, and bird action. :clap:

Broad ... that'll do, very nicely composed including the road like that. Great sky. (y)

Festive ... you're right ".... huge beard and happy face" .... nice one.

and a truly excellent one to finish off ... Weather ... love the FG and BG rock detail, and bird action. :clap:

Thanks, David, those birds were having a great time :) It feels really good to finally finish one of these.

Two great shots to finish your 52 Andrea, well done :beer::beer:

Thanks, Dave, finished one at last!

Back