weekly mdpF2's 52 for 2020

Very threatening / Ominous looking Mark.
The dark processing suits the look of the sky and the reflection of the light making it through the clouds is very nicely controlled.
I like this :)

That`s a nice shot Mark, nice dark and moody. Looks like it`s tilting to the left a touch.
Thanks Dave. You're right, it is off to the left, I forgot to straighten it!

I like that the silhouettes works well as others have said very moody

Lovely shot, really well exposed and great silhouette :)

Nicely exposed shot and well composed to using the reads to break the water spot on.

That`s a nice shot Mark, nice dark and moody. Looks like it`s tilting to the left a touch.
Very threatening / Ominous looking Mark.
The dark processing suits the look of the sky and the reflection of the light making it through the clouds is very nicely controlled.
I like this :)
Cracking opener to your 52!! Congrats :clap:
Nice silhouette Mark, B&W works really well.
Welcome aboard the 52, Mark. Slight wonkiness aside, that's a lovely moody shot. I like the dark tones and the foreground silhouettes (y)
I like that the silhouettes works well as others have said very moody
Oooo, that's really excellent Mark!:clap:
The exposure is spot on - the darkness of the silhouettes really brings out those reflections nicely.
And the sky is spot on...very well captured indeed!
Lovely shot, really well exposed and great silhouette :)
Nicely exposed shot and well composed to using the reads to break the water spot on.

Many thanks all, much appreciated

Lovely looking village Mark, I do feel the subject should be a little closer. though. Just my opinion of course.

Like the way the path leads you to the subject. Nice village looks good in mono.

If the dog being walked is meant to be the main object then I think they need to stand out better may be more in the foreground. A pleasant view though.

Great take on the theme although I agree with other I would of liked to see the dog being bigger in the frame. Nice use of the path as a leading line.

Very pretty village. I agree with some of the other comments.. I would try a slight crop to make the object more of a focus.

Hi Mark

Wk1, a very nice B&W image, just enough detail in the foreground and the reeds are silhouetted aginst the water works well.

Wk2, again a good B&W image, tones are well matched. Can just about see Stanley off in the Distance.

Pete

Hi Mark,
I'm with Helen, Pete, Ali here, if the dog walking is the subject it needed to be a bit closer.
Also, the tonal range feels a bit muddy. I stuck a copy into PS and looked at the histogram and there was a big gap between the end of the data and the white point (levels). A tweak to the white point would help to make the image crisper (unless this was the effect you were after, in which case just call me Chelsea Northrup ;0 )

Hi Mark,
I'm with Helen, Pete, Ali here, if the dog walking is the subject it needed to be a bit closer.
Also, the tonal range feels a bit muddy. I stuck a copy into PS and looked at the histogram and there was a big gap between the end of the data and the white point (levels). A tweak to the white point would help to make the image crisper (unless this was the effect you were after, in which case just call me Chelsea Northrup ;0 )
Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback, yes I agree about Steph & Stanley being to distant, I was concentrating too much on the scenery!
With the picture being muddy, when I scanned the negative (it was a VERY grey day in the photo), I moved both the black and white sliders to just meet the data at both ends, then when I cropped and converted the tiff in Affinity, the right white slider had moved away from the data, so I moved it back again. So I don't understand why it changes. Also, when I convert scanned negs to jpeg they always seem to loose contrast. I think I'll try scanning with a DSLR...

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback, yes I agree about Steph & Stanley being to distant, I was concentrating too much on the scenery!
With the picture being muddy, when I scanned the negative (it was a VERY grey day in the photo), I moved both the black and white sliders to just meet the data at both ends, then when I cropped and converted the tiff in Affinity, the right white slider had moved away from the data, so I moved it back again. So I don't understand why it changes. Also, when I convert scanned negs to jpeg they always seem to loose contrast. I think I'll try scanning with a DSLR...

@mdpF2 Hi Mark, like you I use AP too and what I find helps me is just watching videos on How too (y)

This is the sort of thing that worries me. I read a lot of reviews of the xt2 before buying it and I can see that in certain scenarios it did a great job but all these tests tend to be very controlled pre-planned stuff. I want to able to pick the camera up and just start shooting without having to give it much thought.
Hi Mark, very pleasurable and looks a nice village.
Looks a lovely village and a nice shot too, maybe add some more contrast :thinking:
Lovely looking village Mark, I do feel the subject should be a little closer. though. Just my opinion of course.
Like the way the path leads you to the subject. Nice village looks good in mono.
If the dog being walked is meant to be the main object then I think they need to stand out better may be more in the foreground. A pleasant view though.
Great take on the theme although I agree with other I would of liked to see the dog being bigger in the frame. Nice use of the path as a leading line.
Very pretty village. I agree with some of the other comments.. I would try a slight crop to make the object more of a focus.
Hi Mark

Wk1, a very nice B&W image, just enough detail in the foreground and the reeds are silhouetted aginst the water works well.

Wk2, again a good B&W image, tones are well matched. Can just about see Stanley off in the Distance.

Pete
Hi Mark,
Hi Mark,
Sounds like Affinity is being a right pain. I think I'll stick to PS ;)
@mdpF2 Hi Mark, like you I use AP too and what I find helps me is just watching videos on How too (y)
Ok
OK, cheers Dave. The strange thing is it's fine with digital pics, just scanned b&w tiff files are a problem..
The village looks very Cotswald-y? Lovely area - but think the comments about the subject are valid.
Great couple of shots
Many thanks for the constructive feedback, it really helps to point me in the right direction. The village is Grafton Underwood in Northamptonshire.

I'm just catching up, Mark, so it's all been said already! :) I can see it's a lovely location for a walk so I can understand you wanting to include lots of that but it would have been nice to see more of the person and dog. I had similar thoughts about the contrast, but having read the comments above it looks as though it's a problem with software. Hope you can get to the bottom of it as it's a lovely scene and so much about it is right, especially the strong leading line of the path (y)

Really good use of lighting, I like this.

Niiice shot niiiiice camera!

Back