Mega Meet 2017 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone just give a little explanation of what a mega meet is and is it open to anybody?

Hi, I've seen a few photography events on the top floor of Salt's Mill so I've sent them an email as a starting point.

Cheers.
Just a suggestion, I also found that scout huts Church huts local community halls, etc were cheaper than your average venue, and have an outside area too, for daylight shooting.
Also you have to consider access for people bring "props" lighting livestock etc

I agree with Chris here, local village halls, scout huts etc. and check on the availability of a kitchen for refreshments,
paying for them in a cafe run by the venue would cost, especially for the volunteers who help out
plus do they allow animals in, if you are having dogs again and it does rain not a lot of fun for them to be locked in cars all day.

Whilst people will pay loads for photo shoots with birds/animals etc .they won't for a meet like this and you do have to make sure you cover costs.

Acccessibilty for public transport is handy but not always practical, but it can be arranged for people to be picked up enroute etcs.

Basically @Nostromo and @Ganton Gunner the previous mega meets have been just that, a large meeting of TP members, where we can learn about different aspects of photography from hands on learning to talks and demonstrations its as much a social event as anything. I've been to the last 2 and taken along various reptiles amphibians and invertebrates for people to photograph last time Bryn used some of my Praying Mantis for his macro work Cobra brought his birds of prey and flew them for us to photograph and so much more it has in the past been a blast to meet everyone exchange tips and techniques and just talk photography for a weekend.
oh and there were lots of bacon butties

Last edited:
Could someone just give a little explanation of what a mega meet is and is it open to anybody?

can i 2nd this comment please :D
They are open to anyone and everyone. I attended the last two (I think there has been 1 previous) and basically they are a gathering of like minded folk - well like minded in as much as photography is a common theme. There are photographic opportunities from trying extreme macro, running dogs, studio portraiture, environmental portraiture and even the chance to photograph exotic animals! And in the evening, a chance to tell tall stories and drink and be merry! :)

The problem comes Mark, getting people to commit to help.
Such as the people / portraits / lighting practice experience went down extremely well.
@cosmix3 did a great job, but he's even further south than me, and I'm not sure that he would travel that far North.
So another source will need to be found.

Time would be the biggest problem as well as distance, studio has been keeping me busy, especially at weekends. Hence why not been around here as much as I use to be.

Not sure how we'd do that indoors? But if it came up north, and I was free of course, I'd be happy to look at putting something together with you @Phil VDave
From what I've seen of previous it wasn't all indoors. Of course it'd depend on the dates, and we'd have to work something out around the location - but I know you like a 'challenge' so long as it includes a beer or 2 :beer:
Thanks guys much appreciated, and previously there have been inside and out side areas, in the past, once we have a venue booked, we can confirm the dates.
Of course its free, for those that help :) sorry no beer but we can offer free tea / coffee and free bacon rolls (veggie options will be available)

Much! ...If I can help @Cobra I will
Excellent, Paul thank you (y)

can i 2nd this comment please :D
From the 2015 megga meet
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/megga-meet-2015.575500/

Time would be the biggest problem as well as distance, studio has been keeping me busy, especially at weekends. Hence why not been around here as much as I use to be.
No worries Stu, I never really expected you to :)

I'd quite happily come to one of these although I don't know what I have to offer.
We also need members to turn up, and make use of the facilities, training, photo ops etc.

Just a suggestion, I also found that scout huts Church huts local community halls, etc were cheaper than your average venue, and have an outside area too, for daylight shooting.
Also you have to consider access for people bring "props" lighting livestock etc

@Cobra
Just a thought , would a studio fit the bill ? Ground floor plenty of parking & use of proper studio lighting inside. I've seen photos of BOP taken inside the studio so I know they don't have a problem with animals .Size wise I'd say as big if not slightly bigger than the hall that's been used for the last 2 meets . The only draw back is a lack of green space outside but it might be possible to cordon off an area of parking to do outdoor photo's . It's in a small industrial area so possibilities of URBEX type shots ?

@Cobra
Just a thought , would a studio fit the bill ? Ground floor plenty of parking & use of proper studio lighting inside. I've seen photos of BOP taken inside the studio so I know they don't have a problem with animals .Size wise I'd say as big if not slightly bigger than the hall that's been used for the last 2 meets . The only draw back is a lack of green space outside but it might be possible to cordon off an area of parking to do outdoor photo's . It's in a small industrial area so possibilities of URBEX type shots ?
Certainly something to be considered Lynne, URBEX modeling would certainly be different from the norm too. (y)

A couple of things spring to mind, tables for putting on other "exhibits" like Paul and Baz's reptiles, chairs for people to sit on, the other thing that springs to mind, is there a kitchen?
People will be there all day ( hopefully) and will want refreshments, tea / coffee / soft drinks and Sarnies / rolls etc.

Certainly something to be considered Lynne, URBEX modeling would certainly be different from the norm too. (y)

A couple of things spring to mind, tables for putting on other "exhibits" like Paul and Baz's reptiles, chairs for people to sit on, the other thing that springs to mind, is there a kitchen?
People will be there all day ( hopefully) and will want refreshments, tea / coffee / soft drinks and Sarnies / rolls etc.

Yup , there's a kitchen ,it's a fully equipped studio , toilets ,chairs , tables etc .If memory serves there's actually 2 rooms (but I'd need to confirm that )
I'll drop them a message & see whats what :)

Yup , there's a kitchen ,it's a fully equipped studio , toilets ,chairs , tables etc .If memory serves there's actually 2 rooms (but I'd need to confirm that )
I'll drop them a message & see whats what :)
Sounds promising (y)

Watching with interest :D

Been to a few minor meets including the York convention many moons ago and the one in the Dales where they were filming The Woman in Black at the time but it was more of a workshop.

Depending on Dates, I would help again and bring my macro stuff for people to use. Handy to get some Landscapers up @Neil Burnell etc... they could take the short walk or drive up to downs to show off some of their skills.

@Cobra

The Earlier booked in the more likely I would be able to attend both days :D

they could take the short walk or drive up to downs to show off some of their skills.
Cheers Bryn, but as Andy and Lynne are doing the hard work on this one, it looks like being a Northerly location.
... Unless of course you would still be up for it?

Cheers Bryn, but as Andy and Lynne are doing the hard work on this one, it looks like being a Northerly location.
... Unless of course you would still be up for it?

Depending on location may be able to do a day but guess will see what details come out... be good to try somewhere new (y)

Depending on location may be able to do a day but guess will see what details come out... be good to try somewhere new (y)
Cheers Bryn, when I / we have more details, I'll keep you in the loop (y)

@Cobra ....I've posted this 6 times today from my phone but each time it disappears :banghead::banghead::banghead:

7th time lucky :
Hey Lynne I know it dissappeared and I did PM you to tell you why ;)

I've skimmed through the thread and am probably being a bit thick but is there a date for this yet?

I've skimmed through the thread and am probably being a bit thick but is there a date for this yet?
Its early days Chris its still gauging interest, looking for venues etc.

You better be careful choosing a date then or I may well inflict myself upon you :D
:runaway:

:D
It'd be good to catch up Chris (y)

I'm coming to the UK in early March for 11 days if it happens to be around that time. I would be happy to offer advice to people on the work that I do, i.e. travel photography/ landscape/ time lapse photography. If people were interested in learning landscapes and someone could provide the local knowledge then I'd teach too! It would be a good opportunity to network as being over here in France I'm relegated to just a forum for the most part of the time.

Just let me know if it fits with my dates.

Just let me know if it fits with my dates.
Thanks for the offer Julian, but these things take time to get off the ground, I'm sure that it won't be for a few months yet, most likely "summer time"

From what I've seen of previous it wasn't all indoors.

Of course it'd depend on the dates, and we'd have to work something out around the location - but I know you like a 'challenge' so long as it includes a beer or 2 :beer:

Did someone mention beer [emoji85][emoji481]

If dates work I'd be happy to travel up.
Although I'm new and don't think I'd be much help, if I can do anything please just ask

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back