weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Hi Michael, a nice simple shot - good use of DOF and suits the B&W conversion!:)

I have used a small LED torch for most of the lighting for mine this year, I've learnt alot about lighting this way - it helps you to see the effect instantly!

Last edited:
Hi Michael, a nice simple shot - good use of DOF and suits the B&W conversion!:)

I have used a small LED torch for most of the lighting for mine this year, I've learnt alot about lighting this way - it helps you to see the effect instantly!

Hiya Sarah, thanks for popping by, pleased you like it. I have done a few pics with light painting in the past, it is certainly fun. I was going to do light painting on this one, but couldn't find the torch!

Money - now that I like a lot.
Very abstract - super shot and very well suited to B&W
Mike
Hi Mike, pleased you like it, took quite a few goes to get it right, I kept noticing I had misplaced the top coin on the second row. Certainly makes you very thorough this project (y)

I wonder what week 10 will bring!

This is a great shot Michael I think nearly everything works,

2 picky things
1: the end stack looks bigger than the other 3,
2: would like to see a bit better angle so as you can see the top a bit more and see that they are coins if you get my drift.

very nice, DoF does it for me :clap:

Money
Great shot, love the DoF you have managed to get....... here it comes the BUT
I doesnt shot out money to me, i think it would have been better at a slightly higher angle where you could see the top of the coin.

Hi Darren, thanks for the comment, will consider the higher angle for the next time, (y)

This is a great shot Michael I think nearly everything works,

2 picky things
1: the end stack looks bigger than the other 3,
2: would like to see a bit better angle so as you can see the top a bit more and see that they are coins if you get my drift.

Hi Trevor, looks like a bit of lens distortion creeping in there. Thanks for your thoughts (y)

very nice, DoF does it for me :clap:

Hiya Summer, pleased you like it (y)

Handmade - #2 for me, lovely colours and the textures show up really well.

Money - very interesting, I cant help but like it. Great DOF. Well and truly meets the theme!

Hiya Alex, glad you like the pics, really liked my handmade shots and thhe coins worked out very well. (y)

Simple and effective... good use of DOF. I think it works nicely in mono

Great shot for money, my only little comment is I would have liked the first stack to be a little lower because the others are in ascending order, although it's only a minor thing:p

Otherwise on the money:p

Money: Well done - simple, but effective interpretation of the theme. I like the b&w conversion and the dof very much. I actually think the lighting looks fine, and my only niggle would be I think the in-focus stack would look great on the third - it's a bit close to the edge. Well done on another good week.

A couple of people are commenting on how this year seems harder than last and I found that in 2010, after doing 2009. That's why I had a year off - this year doesn't seems to have got into its stride yet, but I'm sure it will. :)

Jean

Michael that money shot, is well bang on the money :LOL::LOL::LOL: thik it works well in b and w and the focus and DOF is just right

Money - On theme of course, B&W works well, the only niggle for me is focus appears to be a little out (slightly infront of the first stack) but that's me being picky.

Simple and effective... good use of DOF. I think it works nicely in mono

Hi John, thanks for your comments, pleased you like it.

Great shot for money, my only little comment is I would have liked the first stack to be a little lower because the others are in ascending order, although it's only a minor thing:p

Otherwise on the money:p

Thanks Harry, I see what you mean, I hadn't actually noticed the front stack looking slightly bigger, will certainly remember that in future shots.

Money: Well done - simple, but effective interpretation of the theme. I like the b&w conversion and the dof very much. I actually think the lighting looks fine, and my only niggle would be I think the in-focus stack would look great on the third - it's a bit close to the edge. Well done on another good week.

A couple of people are commenting on how this year seems harder than last and I found that in 2010, after doing 2009. That's why I had a year off - this year doesn't seems to have got into its stride yet, but I'm sure it will. :)

Jean

Hiya Jean, thanks for your thoughts, taken in for the future. Indeed doing this a 2nd yr running is very challenging, but I couldn't imagine not doing it :LOL: I reckon this will get into the stride at the halfway point, something very similar to last year.

Michael that money shot, is well bang on the money :LOL::LOL::LOL: thik it works well in b and w and the focus and DOF is just right

Hi Liz, thanks for your comments, much appreciated and pleased you like the pic.

Money - On theme of course, B&W works well, the only niggle for me is focus appears to be a little out (slightly infront of the first stack) but that's me being picky.

Hiya Nathalie, thanks for your thoughts. There was not a lot of dof to play with, I spent ages trying to nail the focus, this was the best I got. I need a proper macro lens!

HI Michael

you should do ok with the 500-500...monster of a lens...with IS ? I bought one a while back but couldn't get on with-it due to no IS so traded it for 150-500 is SIGMA & love it :D

Money.....good DOF ,B&W works well ,the flash light is symetrical on the stacks so doesn't bother me....1 less coin on the 1st stack & possibly a slightly higher POV to see the top of the coins ? Still , good work mister (y)

Go on , treat yourself to a macro lens...you know it makes sense :LOL:

Hiya Lynne, yep it is the os version, I had to jump at it as the price was way too good to pass up! My kit wish list got quite pricey yesterday! Realistically the next thing to be updated will have to be my camera.
Here are the first results from my lens.

Thanks for the comments on the money pic, the ideas have been taken on board and will remember them for the future. As for win, I am not sure what to do for this one at all! :shrug:

HI Michael

you should do ok with the 500-500...monster of a lens...with IS ? I bought one a while back but couldn't get on with-it due to no IS so traded it for 150-500 is SIGMA & love it :D

Money.....good DOF ,B&W works well ,the flash light is symetrical on the stacks so doesn't bother me....1 less coin on the 1st stack & possibly a slightly higher POV to see the top of the coins ? Still , good work mister (y)

Go on, Michael, treat yourself to a macro lens...you know it makes sense :LOL:

"Threat yourself to a macro.." Join us

Lynne....why haven't I seen, or used, this 150-500....:thinking: I haven't bought a lend for aaagggeesss!!

I like it, nice and simple with a nice clean background.
I don't mind the selective colour on it personally as I have no idea what the coins are from so wouldn't really know they were all different colours, in fact I wonder if it would ruin the simplicity of the shot and be too busy depending on their colours? Hard to know without a comparison I guess?

My only irk about the shot would be that some of the coins on the left don't seem to have enough contrast and look a little flat?

I like that a lot! I'm glad you've put the winning line over to one side; it makes for a nice composition.

If it had been possible I'd like to have seen a colour version, with the yellow line standing out in a sea of red tokens, but I'm assuming to fill the frame (the game's frame, not the camera's), you had to use yellow and red.

I have struggled with a few of these themes!

I like what you've done, very simple. Was the SC needed as the coins are different colours anyway?

Hi Marsha, thanks for the comments. I decided to do the sc version as I found my eyes racing all over the place and found it a little awkward to view. The full colour version is below.

I like it, nice and simple with a nice clean background.
I don't mind the selective colour on it personally as I have no idea what the coins are from so wouldn't really know they were all different colours, in fact I wonder if it would ruin the simplicity of the shot and be too busy depending on their colours? Hard to know without a comparison I guess?

My only irk about the shot would be that some of the coins on the left don't seem to have enough contrast and look a little flat?

Hi Paul, pleased you like it, it was from a connect 4 game. Your thoughts are exactly as mine as I found it far to busy as well. I lit this with a torch during a long exposure, the lighting wasn't as even as I wanted, but worked out fairly well.

I like that a lot! I'm glad you've put the winning line over to one side; it makes for a nice composition.

If it had been possible I'd like to have seen a colour version, with the yellow line standing out in a sea of red tokens, but I'm assuming to fill the frame (the game's frame, not the camera's), you had to use yellow and red.

Hi Mark, Please see the full colour version below. I would have liked more red counters so I could do exactly that. Pleased you like it though,(y)

Win - very good shot and i like the SC

Thanks very much Darren (y)

win colour by scilly puffin, on Flickr

The SC does work better here Michael, good choice on the PP(y)
I had the same problem but chose to crop mine instead.
Its maybe a tad dark in the top left corner but thats being picky. Iain

Good work Michael, fits the theme nicely (although it took me a little while to work out what I was looking at, and what SC meant :()

Oh yes, I see what you mean!

Thanks Marsha.

The SC does work better here Michael, good choice on the PP(y)
I had the same problem but chose to crop mine instead.
Its maybe a tad dark in the top left corner but thats being picky. Iain

Hi Iain, thanks for your comment. The darkness was from a bit of uneven light painting.

Good work Michael, fits the theme nicely (although it took me a little while to work out what I was looking at, and what SC meant :()

Hi John, sorry about the sc bit, I automatically abbreviate selective colouring. Thanks for popping by (y)

Here are some pics for the shiny theme. We brought a new toaster on Saturday which was nice and shiny! It is a very difficult object to photograph. Exposure was very tricky, so gone with 2 versions, a black and white one and a colour version. At least there are still some shiny bits showing. Could be a good candidate for light painting.

Week 11, Shiny by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 11, Shiny #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Whilst in the kitchen I saw my fairy liquid bottle. With shiny in mind I decided to take some pics as well. If I get chance I might do a full bottle view, but quite liked this crop.

Week 11, Shiny #3 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Yes, deffinately number 2. The red really makes it, and the B&W version just dulls it a touch too much for this theme I think. Great shot :)

Back