weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody, thank you in advance for all of you that visit my thread and support me throughout the following year.

I have just finished the current project and as I have enjoyed it so much, I am going for it again. It is a great project to do and is very rewarding. The support from fellow members is great, and very important too.

Currently I am without my own laptop due to a hard drive failure till mid to late January. I do have a borrowed one, so I should be on time.

Thanks to Sarah for posting the 1st week nice and early, now I like the theme of direction, so off to find something interesting and fitting for the theme (y)

Last edited:
Hiya Michael,

Well done to you for completing Photo52 2011 and now taking on the challenge of 2012.

You already know how challenging it can be, but hey you have made it through one year, I have no doubt you can't do it again.

You are a great guy and it was a pleasure having you on our 2011 team.

Good Luck for the new challenge and now I have you subscribed to your thread I will be here to support and encourage you through the next year's challenge.

Take care and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

Dawn x

I'm not going to help any boys lol

good luck tho, shhhhhh

Found ya !...Great to see you taking up the challenge again Michael...it'll be a blast ...again (y)

Hiya Michael,

Well done to you for completing Photo52 2011 and now taking on the challenge of 2012.

You already know how challenging it can be, but hey you have made it through one year, I have no doubt you can't do it again.

You are a great guy and it was a pleasure having you on our 2011 team.

Good Luck for the new challenge and now I have you subscribed to your thread I will be here to support and encourage you through the next year's challenge.

Take care and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

Dawn x

Thanks Dawn! All the best for the new year to you and Roo too (y)(y)

good luck michael... hope your first is a step in the 'right direction' .. :D

The very first thing I thought of :LOL:

Good luck and will watch out for your pictures.

We'll support each other!
Thanks Alex (y)

I'm not going to help any boys lol

::naughty: :D Thanks Summer :thumbs

good luck tho, shhhhhh

:naughty: :D Thanks Summer :thumbs

Found ya !...Great to see you taking up the challenge again Michael...it'll be a blast ...again (y)

Wonderful! Thanks Lynne (y)

Thanks very much Trevor.

Onto week 1, Direction

Seeing as the weather is awful, wet, cold and just down right miserable, I took to an indoor shot for an interpretation on the theme.

Week 1, Direction by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Equipment used was my canon eos 30d and 50mm f1.8.
Iso 200,
1/1600 sec @ f1.8

Even being shot wide open, I quite like the dof on this one.

Hi ya Michael

what a fab start to your 2012 52 (y)

Both images on theme....why didn't I think of this :bonk:

Of the 2 images I think I prefer the color one...simply because it's color & your get a nice warm feeling from it :clap: I also like the reflections .

Having said that I think the 1st image fits the theme slightly better as it's easier(for me anyway) to see the arrow ....care to share how you lit both images ?

You can have a little rest now before Sarah punish's us with week 2....hoping to get my wk 1 done tomorrow or sunday....

Hi Michael, i prefer the colour 1 too, the reflections on the table add to the image, i have an idea for this week, but have to wait till Monday to see if it works if not i have a back up in the bag

Both work well, I prefer the colour ... good inventive interpretation, well done.

Prefer the 2nd image myself. Nice idea well done buddy..!!!

Dave(y)

Both nice images and I also prefer the 2nd warm due to the warmth coming from it.

Hi ya Michael

Of the 2 images I think I prefer the color one...simply because it's color & your get a nice warm feeling from it :clap: I also like the reflections .

Having said that I think the 1st image fits the theme slightly better as it's easier(for me anyway) to see the arrow ....care to share how you lit both images ?

You can have a little rest now before Sarah punish's us with week 2....hoping to get my wk 1 done tomorrow or sunday....

Hi Lynne, thanks very much for popping in and for your comments. The images were just lit by the pure candle light, the kitchen was totally dark. Indeed I can rest a little before next theme, but I can't help wanting to know what it is going to be :bonk:

Hi Michael, i prefer the colour 1 too, the reflections on the table add to the image, i have an idea for this week, but have to wait till Monday to see if it works if not i have a back up in the bag

Hi Liz, thanks for the comments. The base for the 2nd image was actually an opaque dinner tray, from ikea @£1.99. It was quite good at giving the reflections, though I didn't use it on the first image. Will look out for your pic (y)

Both work well, I prefer the colour ... good inventive interpretation, well done.

Cheers Gramps , pleased you like it. (y)

Good start Michael. I prefer the second colour shot the arrow seems to be more define.

Should this shot be your Week 54 of 2011 :D :thinking:

Cheers Stan, the arrow shape looked totally different through the viewfinder, can't make my mind up which I prefer. As for week 54 that made me :LOL: It will afectively be a 104 week project by the end!

Prefer the 2nd image myself. Nice idea well done buddy..!!!

Dave(y)

Cheers Dave, Much appreciated (y)

Both nice images and I also prefer the 2nd warm due to the warmth coming from it.

Hi Paul, thanks the comment and I am pleased you like the pics (y)

Great start Michael (y)
For me the colour works best, as it`s more direct.

I like the B&W one best :)

no 2 for me but i would clone out the bit of wax in the top right candle (Picky i know)

Really like them both, but the reflections in the 2nd one are great - congratulations.

Hi ya Michael

[s1]
^^^^^^^
wot she sed
[/s1]

Wine is causing some difficulty

Good start.

#1 for me. I'd like to see a bit more depth to get all the upper candles in focus.

A bit of a crop might work as well...

Cheers and keep sane (y)

no 2 for me but i would clone out the bit of wax in the top right candle (Picky i know)

Cheers for the comment Trevor, please see below! I missed that bit (y)

Really like them both, but the reflections in the 2nd one are great - congratulations.
Thanks Graeme, pleased you like it (y)

[s1]
^^^^^^^
wot she sed
[/s1]

Wine is causing some difficulty

:D Thanks Tina (y)

Good start.

#1 for me. I'd like to see a bit more depth to get all the upper candles in focus.

A bit of a crop might work as well...

Cheers and keep sane (y)

Hiya Andy, thanks for your thoughts, I shall have a play at some point and see what a crop looks like (y)

#2 for me but #1 has potential, I would maybe take it with the arrow being more level and more birds eye.

Similiar idea to what had!

Thank you Alex, A good thought there. I was set up in my kitchen, which isn't the widest of spaces esp with a tripod. Now when's the next thme due :bonk::D:D

Week 1, Direction2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Really like the second candle shot - the reflections and the added colour make it better then the first one. The sunset is more subtle and has great colours :)

You're definitely far too enthusiastic Michael - 4 shots already :LOL:
It's the second version of the candle shot that stands out for me though. Brilliant idea, and I just love the warmth and reflections. I think the closer framing in v.2 gives it far more impact as well.

Having said that, the Scarborough sunset is a very interesting take on direction too. Lots of verticals pointing straight up and the wind direction showing in the flags. It looks a beautiful sunset too. Makes a nice change from the drab, grey skies that we're getting down here at the moment.

As I've said elsewhere...anything with Scarborough in is a winner for me...(y)

#3 is well composed and really rich colours and deep blacks.

Direction of the chimneys, mast and direction of the wind and direction of the sunset...nice.

Just a bit pale at top on my laptop.

Was is handheld?

Cheers.

Really like the second candle shot - the reflections and the added colour make it better then the first one. The sunset is more subtle and has great colours :)

Thanks very much for the reply and your thoughts, the first shot was done on a none reflective surface. I was quite pleased with how well the reflections worked out. Pleased you like the sunset, (y)

#1 is my favourite. I like the use of B&W giving it a nice atmospheric feel to it.

Hi Peter, pleased you like it, I do like black and white shots and am pleased you like this one (y)

You're definitely far too enthusiastic Michael - 4 shots already :LOL:
It's the second version of the candle shot that stands out for me though. Brilliant idea, and I just love the warmth and reflections. I think the closer framing in v.2 gives it far more impact as well.

Having said that, the Scarborough sunset is a very interesting take on direction too. Lots of verticals pointing straight up and the wind direction showing in the flags. It looks a beautiful sunset too. Makes a nice change from the drab, grey skies that we're getting down here at the moment.

Hiya Sarah, yep felt quite enthusiastic about this one :D Thank you for your thoughts and I am glad the images have gone down well (y)

Really liking this. (y) The only critique I have is there's a fair amount of noise, not sure if that's down to the high-ish ISO or the pp.

Hi Nathalie, thanks for your comments, the noise will be mostly camera, that is one thing I have noticed about my 30d, if there is a hint of under exposure in the shot, be it a little or a lot, it does show the noise up, this is then a little enhanced with the pp. Pleased you like the picture though.

Lovely colour and silhouette. Good addition

Cheers Alex, (y)

Some more from Scarborough here and here if anyone fancies a look. (y)

Back