weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Hi, Michael, of the two industry I'm going for #2. B&W really emphasises the bleakness of the day. Added bonus of the guy looking at you.

I must take a train trip soon.

Cheers.

The 52 is coming along Michael.

I love the passenger on the train and the way he is looking at you.

Hi Neil, I am quite pleased so far with this years 52, thanks for commenting (y)

Hi, Michael, of the two industry I'm going for #2. B&W really emphasises the bleakness of the day. Added bonus of the guy looking at you.

I must take a train trip soon.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, probably going to be doing another trip ourselves during the half term

The train shot for me. I like the guy peering out of the window at you and the snow highlighted in the glow of the lamp posts. Nice spur of the moment shot.

The train shot for me. I like the guy peering out of the window at you and the snow highlighted in the glow of the lamp posts. Nice spur of the moment shot.

Hi Stephen, thanks for popping by and liking my pic (y)

Agree on the train shot, the food one does nothing for me at all Im afraid.

Thanks Paul, (y)

Industry: #2 The light (well lack of) and the snow give this a gritty, authentic 'industrial' feel. The b&w processing is perfect for it, and if I half close my eyes, I'm sure I can see it as a steam train! :clap:

#1 - well, as other have said, really, and blown out of the water by #2. :)

Jean

Industry: The train shot is nice, the grain and ligbts above the train really add to the atmosphere. I also like where the train actually is in the shot.:)

I like the B&W shot - full of atmosphere.

Wasn't sure what to do this week, I do have an idea I want to try but not sure if I will be able to do it. So decided to go with these.

Week 7, Root by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Edited in photoshop elements 10, I used a mode called "find glowing edges" I quite liked how it pulled the detail out on the packet showing the veg pics up, this may be a marmite image!

Week 7, Root, #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 7, Root, #3 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Look forward to seeing the comments and will get round to everyones threads soon. (y)

Sigh... Interesting image, the crop is better, and nice bit of editing... fits perfectly. I don't know either book, but the titles fit. Nicely done and processed.

Sweet... I think the chocies is an excellent shot, good take on the theme. I have to admit I wasn't sure whether they were oranges or apples, they look quite red on my laptop. I like it though, excepting the tight crop on the LHS which you know about ;).

Secure... Great idea, fits perfectly... the edit stands out for me. Spot on.

Industry... Love the gritty, industrial feel to the train shot... that's my fave of the two by quite some way.

Root... interesting... I like the processing on the crisp packet... Elements 10 has some great tools in it, not found that on yet. Not so keen on #2, the cropped carrots feel wrong to me... sorry. Of the two veg ones, I think the last is the best although perhaps a little tight on the lower carrot. I prefer the crisp packet to be honest... but they all fit the theme nicely.

Hi Michael,

Great minds think alike! Lol Really like the way you processed the crisp packet shot....makes it very interesting. Tbh, i'm not so keen on the veg shots, not too sure why, just don't grab my attention like the first one.

Carol

I'm going to disagree, sorry! The first one doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid, but I like the veg shots, especially #2. I think this is an example of selective colour used well, which is hard to achieve these days when it's so out of fashion (you've missed some bits though in #2, e.g. left side of the left carrot, just below where it crosses the edge of the, umm, whatever that other veg is!!)!

Only criticism of those two is the crop; I'd like to see all of the veg definitely, and all of the shadow probably :)

Last edited:
Hi,

As above I like the crisp packet the most, I do like the selective colour of the carrots against the turnips, I was thinking of something similar.

Matt

Sigh... Interesting image, the crop is better, and nice bit of editing... fits perfectly. I don't know either book, but the titles fit. Nicely done and processed.

Sweet... I think the chocies is an excellent shot, good take on the theme. I have to admit I wasn't sure whether they were oranges or apples, they look quite red on my laptop. I like it though, excepting the tight crop on the LHS which you know about ;).

Secure... Great idea, fits perfectly... the edit stands out for me. Spot on.

Industry... Love the gritty, industrial feel to the train shot... that's my fave of the two by quite some way.

Root... interesting... I like the processing on the crisp packet... Elements 10 has some great tools in it, not found that on yet. Not so keen on #2, the cropped carrots feel wrong to me... sorry. Of the two veg ones, I think the last is the best although perhaps a little tight on the lower carrot. I prefer the crisp packet to be honest... but they all fit the theme nicely.

Hi John, thanks for popping my and reviewing the previous weeks. This yrs 52 has started off really well and I have been pleased with what I have produced. I really like the crisp packet one myself, if you look under the filter tab and then goto stylize you will find it in that sub menu there. I kind of liked the cropped carrots, but I think this shot has potential, I just need to find a better background whihch will aid me in composition. I did like how well the selective colour worked as well.

Hi Michael,

Great minds think alike! Lol Really like the way you processed the crisp packet shot....makes it very interesting. Tbh, i'm not so keen on the veg shots, not too sure why, just don't grab my attention like the first one.

Carol

Hiya Carol, great minds indeed! It was a bit of a bland coloured packet which led me to this style of processing. I might work on some more styles of the veg shots.

I'm going to disagree, sorry! The first one doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid, but I like the veg shots, especially #2. I think this is an example of selective colour used well, which is hard to achieve these days when it's so out of fashion (you've missed some bits though in #2, e.g. left side of the left carrot, just below where it crosses the edge of the, umm, whatever that other veg is!!)!
Only criticism of those two is the crop; I'd like to see all of the veg definitely, and all of the shadow probably :)

Hi Mark, no worries, it is a marmite style. Thanks for pointing out the missed bits, I even checked a few times! :bonk: The other veg was a parsnip. The point about the crop taken on board, for some reason I actually like the way I had done number 2, If I get chance I might have another crack at these. (y)

Hi,

As above I like the crisp packet the most, I do like the selective colour of the carrots against the turnips, I was thinking of something similar.

Matt

Hiya Matt thanks for the comments pleased you like the pics. Carrots and parsnips seem to lend them selves well to the sc. (y)

Like the 1st carrot shot but also would like to have seen the whole of the carrots in the frame :)

Like the 1st carrot shot but also would like to have seen the whole of the carrots in the frame :)

Nice shot with the crisp packet - but it's not for me.
I like the selective colour on the 2 carrot shots, shame about the crop,

thanks for the replies. Good job I had a chinese for tea tonight :D Will do a reshoot if I get the chance. (y)

Hi Michael

I think that the crisp packet is a good shot, good idea and i like the pp. I think that the etchings of the root veg towards the top of the packet could do with being a bit clearer because this gives a visual point to the roor as well as the text on the packet. But could be my monitor though.

Other 2 pics are on theme but don't do much for me, sorry. The packet is far more punchy and quirky.

Hmm, I might be about to upset you Mike; hope not!

I think this latest veg one is now not cropped enough; there's far too much space on the left for me, and I don't like the angle as much as the first one you posted. The carrots look too regimental, and it looks too much like it was shot from directly overhead so has no depth.

IMHO the perfect version would be #2, but without the really tight crop; maybe all it needs is the top of the parsnip, on the right, visible. Maybe it doesn't even need the bottoms of the carrots in frame.

As it is, my vote is still with #2, despite the new version ;)

Sorry :(

Hi Michael

I think that the crisp packet is a good shot, good idea and i like the pp. I think that the etchings of the root veg towards the top of the packet could do with being a bit clearer because this gives a visual point to the roor as well as the text on the packet. But could be my monitor though.

Other 2 pics are on theme but don't do much for me, sorry. The packet is far more punchy and quirky.

Hi Alan, thanks for popping by. Up on the top left isn't as strong as the right hand side. I actually photographed this at f1.8 on my 50mm. So that will account for that. Origionally I was aiming for the text to be in focus only, the packet was very nondescript and noticed the extra detail when I went to the pp.

Hmm, I might be about to upset you Mike; hope not!

I think this latest veg one is now not cropped enough; there's far too much space on the left for me, and I don't like the angle as much as the first one you posted. The carrots look too regimental, and it looks too much like it was shot from directly overhead so has no depth.

IMHO the perfect version would be #2, but without the really tight crop; maybe all it needs is the top of the parsnip, on the right, visible. Maybe it doesn't even need the bottoms of the carrots in frame.

As it is, my vote is still with #2, despite the new version ;)

Sorry :(

Hi Mark, no need to be sorry at all (y) I see what you mean about the carrots being regimental, I did try placing them on an angle but they just wouldn't stay put! I have had a go with the latest image, rotating and cropping but it doesn't suit it, mainly because those carrots are just too straight. It has been interesting doing these and playing around with composition. Thanks very much for your input. :)

Last edited:
Loving the gritty feel of the train shot for industry, and the second pic of the selective colour carrots is my fav for this week! :)

I think I prefer number two as well, the detail is cracking and it's really sharp. Yes, maybe too tightly cropped but otherwise all good.

I think the shadows on the latest one are too harsh, like Mark said it looks like your shooting straight down.

Loving the gritty feel of the train shot for industry, and the second pic of the selective colour carrots is my fav for this week! :)

This one for me, like the selective colour and the placement and composition. I think it's a little too close to the bottom edge but otherwise a good shot and on theme.

Me... i'm a Marmite fan !!!

I really like your root crisp packet, real nice crop, processing & real sharp (y)

Thanks very much for the comments everyone. Pleased the pics have gone down well. (y)

Secure - #1 for me. I like the battered feel the lighting has given it

Industry – Another vote for the train shot

Root – Veg shot #2 gets my vote

Handmade – My preference is for the colour version. I find the B&W with selective colour too false and feel the red on #2 stands out anyway.

Glad ur laptop is up and running! None is about to die and I can't fzce replacing it. The story behind ur blanket is adorable!

Hi Amanda, thanks for popping by. Certainly glad my laptop is up and running again, I am just glad it was under guarantee.

Secure - #1 for me. I like the battered feel the lighting has given it

Industry – Another vote for the train shot

Root – Veg shot #2 gets my vote

Handmade – My preference is for the colour version. I find the B&W with selective colour too false and feel the red on #2 stands out anyway.

Hiya Peter, thanks very much for your comments. I knew selective colour wouldn't be to everybodys taste so included the colour version as well.
(y)

Back