weekly Minx 52 for 2016 -Finished

Hi
Love the texture of the first 'rough' photo. Wonder what it would be like as B&W?

A lovely springtime image - beautifully subtle colours and masses of it. :clap:

I like your vast shot - it looks like a lovely place, great clouds, too. Your covered is beautiful - very nicely framed against the oof blossom in the background. It might have been nice too to throw a little extra light onto the blossoms at the front using a piece of white card or similar. But a gorgeous image as it is.

Yes there could be more light on those blossoms ... but not essential.

It might have been nice too to throw a little extra light onto the blossoms at the front using a piece of white card or similar. But a gorgeous image as it is.

It does look darker on my tablet than it did on my laptop probably the tilt of my screen, But the only way to have altered it would be post processing as I would have needed a step ladder for paper to have had any effect.

Nicely captured, with lots of detail in the foreground, great use of DoF too.

Well covered Minx :)

Lovely image for covered Minx the DOF works really well for me love the colours.

Horizontal - Good bit of thinking out of the box! :)

Vast - Lovely sky and calm waters. Nicely captured!

Rough - Lichen looks icky! But great for the theme!

Covered - Blossoms in focus over more blossoms out of focus. Really gorgeous!

Lovely image of the blossom and the DOF works really well.
I have just uploaded an image of the blossom in our garden to flickr to post on TP - great minds think alike LOL

Covered - Nice! Spring has sprung...
I guess it is a tricky exposure - if you'd exposed for the foreground, chances are the sky would've blown and we'd lose the blueness. With a bit of PP work you could bring it up, but as it sits right now I quite like it!

Covered: Great photo, great DoF and nice colours. Yes, a bit more light on the blossoms in the foreground would be nice, but it wouldn't be worth risking to break your neck.

Hi Alison

Vast - it's certainly on theme, but lacks a bit of punch. I think the lighting isn't helping you - definitely a scene to revisit with sunset etc. spilling colours everywhere?

Rough - like both and love the B&W conversion of the first! Properly on theme, that one (y)

Covered - pretty shot and obviously on theme. Background is exposed well but foreground/subject is under as a result. A bit of fill flash from the pop-up flash might work wonders here? Just dial in some flash compensation (-1 perhaps) to avoid it looking too "shot-with-popup-flash" just to lift it a touch?

Hi Alison

Rough - I really like the B&W version. Much more interesting to me,
Covered - Blossoms are nicely in focus and good colour
Colourful - Super, nice idea and sharp too.
Entrance - good idea,shame the post is on the left,

Hi Minx

Colourful - Nice colourful image love textures and detail

Entrance - Love the faded colours as Lee says shame about the post and the sky but there's not a lot you could have done about the sky

Entrance - interesting subject! I like stuff like this! :wacky:
As mentioned, shame about the post on the left (relatively easy to swap out though in PP). The small block bottom right catches my eye somewhat too unfortunately.
Hope you don't mind, had a quick go in PP...
RLTc6Yd.jpg

:)

A couple of good shots there Alison.
Of the two, Colourful is my favourite, it's an abstract shot and works well.
I agree with the comments regarding the MiniMax corner entranceway. I know you've been trying to post more or less SooC shots, but @WMD's edit really does bring it to life.

Hi Minx, for what its worth my thoughts

Colourful, like this, shame about some of the shadows. Might of tried some overhead lighting ?

Entrance, it is respectful I think when a Company keeps some of its originality when progressing. If my PS skills
were up to it I would use it a lot more on my photos thats for sure

Thanks for sharing that Minx, it seems to ooze the contempt shown by the developers some how, a photo that tells a real story. Very good.

Hi Minx. Your TP link doesn't seem to be working. Colourful is all of that and nice and sharp too. Good choice of subject for Entrance, lots of character and well worth preserving. (Think the architect could have done more to absorb the structure into the development but still ....)

Interesting one minx. (y) ... not very well looked after for a listed structure.

Hi Alison

Colourful is certainly on theme. Perhaps experimenting with lighting coming from different angles (moving the box of wool around a darker room with perhaps a single window?) would produce an image with a touch more oomph? Technically well shot though, as it is.
Entrance is a good spot and WMD's edit certainly gives it more oomph! But you've done the hard bit of actually seeing the photo in the scene. Good job.

Forgotten - This shell grotto in Margate was forgotten for some time it is clearly man made but its origins have been forgotten it was rediscovered in 1835

margate shell grotto
by Alison White, on Flickr

bit of a snap underground dreadful light but interesting

Last edited:
Capybara and beaver in one shot - cuteness overload! And nice choice for the theme. As you said not ideal lighting for the shell grotto, but a nice find. I remember one of these places in Bournemouth being a favourite place of mine when I was little - the time they must have taken to create!

Well themed Minx. I prefer Forgotten for it's quirkiness and artistry. Very difficult lighting conditions but I do like the golden tint.

Back