weekly Minx 52 for 2016 -Finished

Yep, Flora Reshoot and Abandoned Reshoot ... a couple of good ones. (y)

I like both Re-shoots. Such stunning colours and beautiful detail in Flora and what a great find for Abandoned and nice reflection too. :clap:

Hi @minx,
Sign - Nice take on the theme, but the image itself feels a bit washed out. I'm guessing this is SooC, a bit of pp to bring the blacks back in would work wonders.
Flora - The re-shoot over the original for me, it's so much sharper.
Abandoned (re-shoot)- I like the way you've caught the reflection of the abandoned chair in the water. It works well in the soft light.

Great reshoots Alison. The colours of the passionflower are really vibrant but my fave is the abandoned chair as it tells a story :clap:

Active - I have struggled with this one as although I have been very Active with the Scout Group recently I didn't feel I should use
those pictures this one however I feel I can this is some of our Cubs and Beavers mini Beast Hunting

Active
by Alison White, on Flickr

This butterfly was very Active too every time I got it lined up it moved again

gatekeeper

Last edited:
They can be difficult can't they, worth the effort though, nicely caught

life - interesting take on the theme, nice bit of street life.

Hidden - well caught nice focus on the cats eye.

Hi Alison ...well done with catching up again, that's a super photo of the butterfly for Active, I've taken many a blurred butterfly!
I couldn't quite work out what the scouts are doing, do they have something in those containers.
Those market traders are probably hoping for a bit more Life about :) good choice in the b&w.
Well spotted for Hidden, your cat is caught just nicely peeping out of the curtain.

I couldn't quite work out what the scouts are doing, do they have something in those containers.

Sorry It should say they are mini beast hunting I will edit it, and yes they have a variety of creepy crawlies in the containers

Bravo for working with the Scout Group ... really does give an excellent grounding. I like the butterfly shot - nicely lit and sharp detail is hard to achieve of an erratic subject like that. The marketplace is a good choice for Life - there's motion and looks good in b&w. As for Hidden, well that is spot on theme - lovely colours and sharp eye. Excellent catch-up.

Good catch up Alison.
Activity - Certainly captures the feel of a Scouting Activity, I think the mono processing suits it. I think I would agree on this shot over the flutterby.
Life - Good to see a bit more 'street' in the challenge. It could perhaps do with a bit of pp though, to add a bit more contrast as it's a little washed out by the lighting.
Hidden - Excellent shot of smallfry there, she has most certainly spotted you from her hiding place. Well done on catching her eye

Well done for the catch up. The butterfly shot is great - I've really struggled this year to find one that stays still! I wonder if the scout shot might look better in colour? I do love minibeast hunting, though - they must have had a great time. I think hidden is my favourite - good focus on the eye, the curtains work really well as 'camouflage' and perfectly on theme :)

Hi Alison,
I think the butterfly works very well for "activity". The group of scouts maybe less so, the two boys in the foreground are blocking out too much of the action.
I like your take on "life", the composition and the B&W conversion work. Lots of things to look at.
"Hidden" is a brilliant photo, well captured, focus exactly where it should be. Although on my screen it looks like highlights are a bit blown out.

I wonder if the scout shot might look better in colour? I do love minibeast hunting, though - they must have had a great time.

It does indeed look better but I was trying to reduce the ability to recognise any one

Bravo for working with the Scout Group ... really does give an excellent grounding. .

Thank you, It is an great Hobby for the Leaders as well as the youth members

A Brilliant catch up Alison.

Butterflies are so difficult as even when they are still they are moving but you managed to get a really clear shot.

Life in the market gives me plenty to look at and the b&w works really well

And a fab capture of the cat with just enough to show he's keeping his eye on you

:clap::clap::clap:

Two lovely images for 'active' the butterfly colours are beautiful and the black and white works well for the beaver group - they certainly look engrossed in their beast hunting.
Life - Plenty going on in the shot and the b&w work really well.
Hidden - Lovely! :clap:

Thought I had posted that one weeks ago Hey Ho. Not a great shot I had hoped to improve on it but as I have much catching up to do it is the one I am going with.

Nicely spotted Minx, but I agree with Tim.

You did well - fast little critters. Nice one in it's natural surroundings.

So had a Lovely trip to ZSL London but camera did not want to play particularly annoying as I had taken the other camera out of my bag that morning and just taken the battery as a spare.
so these are not the best as they were taken on my mobile phone but helping to catch me up

Lone ( there are other giraffes but they were in the corner this one was out on his own)

ZSL London

Black and white

ZSL London

Last edited:
I like the colours in your giraffe shot and the way the upper branches act as leading lines into the lemur. It's so frustrating when you don't have the equipment you'd hoped for, though. One of my reasons for upgrading my camera was that on my first trip to the British Wildlife Centre with all their wonderful red squirrels, polecats and other glorious creatures the zoom on my Lumix stuck and made it unusable - I was fuming!

the zoom on my Lumix stuck and made it unusable - I was fuming!

Clearly a Lumix issue it was my newer Lumix that died with the error message system error zoom!
(the older one had a watery accident and was replaced but eventually resurrected once dried out fully)

HI Alison ...that's super Giraffe shot, I love the deep blue sky and those tree trunks towering over the giraffe.

I think if you cropped to the main lemur and tweaked the contrast it would give a lot more definition to the b&w one.

I use a Lumix too .... I hope I'm not doomed :)

I like the composition with the giraffe between the two "trees" - great colours. The Lemur needs a bit more contrast .. .looks a bit cloudy ... but easily recovered.

Back