mmcp42 52 2010 week 35 light

I really like that. The few flower petals on the paper is a nice wee touch too.

thanks Charlie, appreciate your comments
I wish I'd thought of the petals, but as luck would have it they wanted to be there!

Mike, love it. I don't think the paper needs to be aged, it looks like it's freshly written. The bottle you pressed into service is just right to. Very good (y)

Mike, love it. I don't think the paper needs to be aged, it looks like it's freshly written. The bottle you pressed into service is just right to. Very good (y)

Thanks John,
I sweated blood and tears of this week's
just hope next week is easier, please!!!!

Don't say things like that Mike... :rules: say that we'll end up with a real so and so... this was easy compared to some of the themes from last year... And don't ask for something simple, you'll find the word will end up in the bag... :LOL:

Wow Mike!
The amount of effort put into this is amazing :clap:
Great attention to detail . . . the petals on the page, the little ink bottle . . . it all goes to set the scene perfectly.

I love the idea of printing the text and incorporating it into the image. I've seen a few people do that and it's something I would never have thought of.

Agree with John on ageing the paper. I think it works better as it is in this one with that freshly written feel.
And IMO the black background really works. In theory I wouldn't have thought it would with this type of shot, but it definitely looks good.

Lookig forward to week 3.

Two strong shots to start with Mike, you,ve set yourself a good standard to build on. I,m pretty much with you on your rules of engagement except No 6

I'm liking both of these Mike :clap::clap:

A great start to your 52 (y)

And, as a veteran 52er from last year, a word to the wise: someone (who shall remain nameless :naughty:) kept asking for something simple and that ****** Simon put it in as a theme, and that was a ****** :LOL::LOL:

So be careful what you wish for :D

I really like this. Wouldn't believe you had difficulty with it!

Well composed and well lit. I think the background works - as you say - to highlight the vase.

Nice work.

Ian.

Possibly one of m favorites from the poetry theme!
I really like this, simple, clean yet so strong!
I like how the pink flowers are present both in the vase, and in the photo background. And the added petals on the paper complete it. (Think that really helped with the paper being so crisp and clean)
Overall a great effort to this week! Il be checking back for your next effort!

Wow Mike!
The amount of effort put into this is amazing :clap:
Great attention to detail . . . the petals on the page, the little ink bottle . . . it all goes to set the scene perfectly.

I love the idea of printing the text and incorporating it into the image. I've seen a few people do that and it's something I would never have thought of.

Agree with John on ageing the paper. I think it works better as it is in this one with that freshly written feel.
And IMO the black background really works. In theory I wouldn't have thought it would with this type of shot, but it definitely looks good.

Lookig forward to week 3.
thanks Sarah
your comments are always very much appreciated!

Two strong shots to start with Mike, you,ve set yourself a good standard to build on. I,m pretty much with you on your rules of engagement except No 6
Thanks micky
I decided that making them good enough to print on an expensive piece of paper would ensure high quality (well that's the aim!!!)

I'm liking both of these Mike :clap::clap:

A great start to your 52 (y)

And, as a veteran 52er from last year, a word to the wise: someone (who shall remain nameless :naughty:) kept asking for something simple and that ****** Simon put it in as a theme, and that was a ****** :LOL::LOL:

So be careful what you wish for :D
why thank you Jill
(and if simple does appear - I apologise now!)

I really like this. Wouldn't believe you had difficulty with it!

Well composed and well lit. I think the background works - as you say - to highlight the vase.

Nice work.

Ian.
thanks Ian,
I don't have an arty farty muscle in my body (and not many of the other sort either) - that's why this one was hard

Possibly one of m favorites from the poetry theme!
I really like this, simple, clean yet so strong!
I like how the pink flowers are present both in the vase, and in the photo background. And the added petals on the paper complete it. (Think that really helped with the paper being so crisp and clean)
Overall a great effort to this week! Il be checking back for your next effort!
thanks Rikki
most kind!

came back with frostbite

But well worth it! One of my faves from week one... sorry it's taken me so long to spot it! I need a different way of reviewing these 52's, as once I've made a comment, I seem to forget to pop back. :bonk:

Not so keen on week 2... a little clean cut and perfect. The sentiment is probably great, but I'm here for the pics, not the words. :D

But well worth it! One of my faves from week one... sorry it's taken me so long to spot it! I need a different way of reviewing these 52's, as once I've made a comment, I seem to forget to pop back. :bonk:

Not so keen on week 2... a little clean cut and perfect. The sentiment is probably great, but I'm here for the pics, not the words. :D

thanks Lee
oh well can't win them all!

this isn't getting any easier

struggled again this week
had an idea in my head, but it didn't come out as planned
so here's weak attempt for this week...

IMG_5022.jpg

I like this, had thought of a similar shot but my axe is a bit rusty (so's my chopper but that's another story... :D )

Very well done, nice to see lots of textures left in the shot rather than cropped out too - that gives the picture some context rather than expecting the subject to stand alone.

Arthur

You know what. I really like that, great composition. I might be tempted to give it a bit more of an s bend, but it's a good clear image.

I like this, had thought of a similar shot but my axe is a bit rusty (so's my chopper but that's another story... :D )

Very well done, nice to see lots of textures left in the shot rather than cropped out too - that gives the picture some context rather than expecting the subject to stand alone.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur
I tried the close-up but it looked a bit bland

You know what. I really like that, great composition. I might be tempted to give it a bit more of an s bend, but it's a good clear image.

Thanks Squawk

I would love to be in your kitchen - if you use an axe for chopping coriander, I'd hate to think what you use to chop meat (a chain saw, perhaps? :D )

Fits the theme, so well done!

I would love to be in your kitchen - if you use an axe for chopping coriander, I'd hate to think what you use to chop meat (a chain saw, perhaps? :D )

Fits the theme, so well done!

you say that as if it's a bad thing :nuts:

thanks for looking

I like this image, had a similar one in mind before I chose mine.

It really has been a hard theme, not because of the lack of shots available but the lack of variety to shoot the theme and make it unique.

Nice and sharp image,

Well done.

Dan

I like this image, had a similar one in mind before I chose mine.

It really has been a hard theme, not because of the lack of shots available but the lack of variety to shoot the theme and make it unique.

Nice and sharp image,

Well done.

Dan

thanks Dan, not an easy week (again!!!)

Sharp and colourful exactly where it needs to be. I'd have been tempted to frame it without the background or at least lose the spaghetti and err... the other thing :)

Sharp and colourful exactly where it needs to be. I'd have been tempted to frame it without the background or at least lose the spaghetti and err... the other thing :)

:) cheers darren, appreciate your comments

the background was deliberate to set it in a kitchen context
but I can see what you're saying

oh and the "other thing" is a hot stand :)
not sure quite how it works - made of perspex and filled with various parts of corn plants

For a theme that seemed so easy, this has been a tough week for a lot of us. You've pulled it off though.

Very nice interpretation and good use of props. Lovely colours and I think you absolutely need the background in this one to put it in a kitchen setting.
Very minor niggle, but the edge of the worktop in the bottom left corner is a bit distracting . . . not enough to detract from the shot, but one of those things that once you notice it's there you keep noticing it.

Week 2 Lots of effort put into this and works very well, agree with you on the black background.

Week 3 Not a weak effort for week 3, simple but effective. The lighting and composition and warm browns against the worktop work well together.

Thats a nice sharp image. All 3 images have been really good. Keep up the good work

crikey that's a big chopper and a very sharp looking one it is too.

I like the background except for the horizontal wooden thing? mm but that might be part of the thing with corn parts is it (a trivet? )

For a theme that seemed so easy, this has been a tough week for a lot of us. You've pulled it off though.

Very nice interpretation and good use of props. Lovely colours and I think you absolutely need the background in this one to put it in a kitchen setting.
Very minor niggle, but the edge of the worktop in the bottom left corner is a bit distracting . . . not enough to detract from the shot, but one of those things that once you notice it's there you keep noticing it.

Thanks Sarah
I'm always impressed by the amount of time and effort you put into your feedback - it is appreciated
(and you're right about the corner now you mention it!)

Week 2 Lots of effort put into this and works very well, agree with you on the black background.

Week 3 Not a weak effort for week 3, simple but effective. The lighting and composition and warm browns against the worktop work well together.
Thanks Scott, I struggled this week - your encouragement is appreciated

Thats a nice sharp image. All 3 images have been really good. Keep up the good work

cheers Darren - let's hope we do actually get an easy one this time

crikey that's a big chopper and a very sharp looking one it is too.

I like the background except for the horizontal wooden thing? mm but that might be part of the thing with corn parts is it (a trivet? )

Thanks JustLooking (you been peeking :nuts: )
yup it's part of the trivet
part of the "kitchen atmosphere" (ok it covered up a bit of bad grouting too!)

sorry I haven't got here sooner...

Hi Mike,

That poem shot is truely amazing, beautifully composed, light and the attention to detail is spot on. The colours of the Gerberas are very eye catching. gets my vote. (y)

I like this take on "chopped" very original. That blade on the axe must be extremely sharp cause I can't see any indentations on the board. (y)

sorry I haven't got here sooner...

Hi Mike,

That poem shot is truely amazing, beautifully composed, light and the attention to detail is spot on. The colours of the Gerberas are very eye catching. gets my vote. (y)

I like this take on "chopped" very original. That blade on the axe must be extremely sharp cause I can't see any indentations on the board. (y)

hello Graham
no worries
there's a lot to get round every week
I know I can't reply to everyone

thanks for your kind comments, too

must admit I didn't actually use the axe to chop the parsley :nuts:

pretty nice shot, as Foggy said, its simple but effective

i personally like it with the stuff in the background, I played around with removing stuff out of the background in my pic this week, but it always looked better with something there, although having said that I think it would be better with a bit chopped off the top - scuse the pun :LOL:

that axe looks brand new, did you buy it especially for this pic?

pretty nice shot, as Foggy said, its simple but effective

i personally like it with the stuff in the background, I played around with removing stuff out of the background in my pic this week, but it always looked better with something there, although having said that I think it would be better with a bit chopped off the top - scuse the pun :LOL:

that axe looks brand new, did you buy it especially for this pic?

thanks Karlos
be interested to see how much you'd want to chop off
and yes - new axe (should be a chopper really :nuts: )

thanks Karlos
be interested to see how much you'd want to chop off
and yes - new axe (should be a chopper really :nuts: )

I wouldn't go chopping much off it, more of a slight trim

I've overlayed a thirds grid in photoshop and stretched it till the intersections lined up and cropped it at that, turned out the original had the background items on the thirds.

4301153945_eb7193a550_m.jpg
4301154191_1753c6092d_m.jpg
4301858948_0e893b4239_m.jpg

(Hope you dont mind me messing with your images, will delete them once you've seen them)

not a problem, thanks for taking the time
I'm here to improve and learn

I made myself a rule that once I posted I wouldn't re-shoot (I guess that includes re-post)
but I'm very open to creative suggestions - so thanks very much for your comments
and do leave the pictures there, cheers

Thanks Sarah
I'm always impressed by the amount of time and effort you put into your feedback - it is appreciated

:shrug: I just feel that if someone's put the effort into their shot, they deserve bit more than just a "nice shot" comment.
Anyway, the last couple of weekends I've been busy with reports and accounts for a charity I'm involved with. It's been nice to break up the monotony by popping in here after every couple of pages to look at some of the shots.

thanks Dan, not an easy week (again!!!) Ssssshhhhhh, you've said 'that' word :nono:

I'm another who likes the composition but if feels like it needs a bit of a contrast boost for my taste (but that's just a minor niggle) (y)

And is that a silestone worktop I see?

Because if it is, silestone is made in Macael, about 20 Kms west of here.

I'm another who likes the composition but if feels like it needs a bit of a contrast boost for my taste (but that's just a minor niggle) (y)

And is that a silestone worktop I see?

Because if it is, silestone is made in Macael, about 20 Kms west of here.

thanks Jill
er the worktop is green something
don't see it meself, but that's what the chap said!

hee hee I did have another idea for the chopped theme
but they wouldn't let me use my camera at the vasectomy clinic! :nuts:

I like it very much Mike. the composition works, and it's very clear what's going on here. Sort of expecting to see large gauges in the chopping board though :LOL:

I like it very much Mike. the composition works, and it's very clear what's going on here. Sort of expecting to see large gauges in the chopping board though :LOL:

hee hee I was tempted
but discretion won the day!
thanks for looking

week 4 Street

taken in Woburn High Street
passed my "is it good enough to print" test
so I'm quite pleased with it
C&C most welcome though

(click for full size)

like that .. I love looking at old buildings and the lovely colours and patterns in the bricks and the uneven roofs and you have captures those nicely.

Shame you couldn't you get them to move the green bin !

Back