weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

:clap: ... good catchup there Simon ... I particularly like the gooey choccy ... very well done (y)

First ... excellent and like the others I prefer the re-oriented.

That is a really really lovely shot si. I'm also rather pleased with myself that I recognised it as a christingle. :)

The candles in the BG absolutely make this one. Turning it from a nice shot of an orange with a candle in it into an image with depth and emotion.

Looking closer, the empty black at the top mirroring the black below the orange works really well and the thin highlight up the candle gives it shape.

Great job.

(But if you want crit, the only thing I can offer is the teeny tiny encroachment top left. And it is miniscule. :))

Like it, my daughter did one of these at school, a couple of weeks ago, never thought of photographing it! Really like this, colours are nice and I like the lighting. A little bit of colour creeping in top left and being quite picy, the rhs cocktail stick is fairly close to the light, other than that very nice done.

Hi, have never seen one of those before, can only agree with the above comments, you have handled the light very well

Simon - cracking shot! Really nicely taken and I agree with Graham that the background candle bokeh really makes it jump out. It's also a great example of choosing an exposure to suit the image rather than just "following the meter"... I'm going to guess the camera wanted to up the EV a stop or two but this looks so much better and suits the mood. :clap:

Thank you all for your comments.
I didn't have particular settings in mind except I new I wanted a fairly shallow DOF as I wanted the candle bokeh effect in the BG to, as you've all said, give it depth and almost a "magical sparkly" feel and for that reason I decided to shoot in the dark. However to highlight the actual subject I wanted flash. Because I have the yn622 trigger and a transceiver I could use OCF, but at its lowest power of 1/128, which was laying on its side, with a diffuser cap on, by my shoulders, as I was laying on the ground to take the photo. I did try other flash positions but it looked wrong. So for all that, I chose to shoot in fully manual mode with an ISO to suit. I was trying 200 and 400 and I think this is 400 but cannot remember.

I didn't bother trying auto mode to see what the camera wanted to do but I know that's sometimes a good idea to get a basis for the final settings. I doubt it would have been any good in this situation though.

If you look closely, I have tried to clone out the flash reflection on the front of the orange where the red band comes around, I didn't do it very well though as it looks a bit fudged. I should have zoomed in to do it or something as the smallest brush size in darktable wasn't small enough for me to do it well enough. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with the result and I'm glad everyone likes it so far.

Hey Si :)

Sorry... a few to catch up from me :)

Smooth - Mmmmmmm that looks scrummy, A real nice background and the chocolate colour is excellent, looks good enough to eat :)

Attached - Nice again, liking how you have laid these out with the cluster of rings in the middle, the nice bright tag certainly grabs your focus :)

Energy - Ooooooo eneloop's say no more :clap:

Okay, nicely set up, possibly a bit too grainy but background lighting/shadows still seem good :)

First - A wonderful image and one to cherish, what a great moment to capture (y)

Round - For me mate it works well without the orange, not sure what to think of it ... the bokeh lights are very nice, the orange though is lit well so technically good :)

Hi Simon

Smooth.....lovely color in the milk chocolate, nicely on the edge of just melted & a good low POV
Attached....keeps you in the game with good DOF
Energy....well exposed, hint of a shadow helping to ground them.....

little confused as to why you have 3 shots all on a white bg & taken on the same day ( I suspect at the same photo session ) with a great white bg on 1 & 3 but 2 appears to have gone belly up ? Just curious as to what you did differently on the Attached shot ?

Round...agree with others that the bg bokeh really makes this image work :clap:

little confused as to why you have 3 shots all on a white bg & taken on the same day ( I suspect at the same photo session ) with a great white bg on 1 & 3 but 2 appears to have gone belly up ? Just curious as to what you did differently on the Attached shot ?

Hi Lynne, thanks for stopping by!

yeah, basically it was a rushed shot as the flash was making my wife feel ill. I had been moving it around but this one was just badly rushed.

Round ... nor have I seen one of these before, and I agree with what's been said ... the bokeh is excellent and makes it a super pic.

Hi Si. Apologies for not stopping in recently.....

Smooth: Dont know how you've done it but the set up / melt on that choccie piece is perfect. Like how you've placed it on the right with the opening and caramel flow leaving 'inwards' towards the left side.

Attached: You've created a nice diaganol line on this one, though feel it needs more room top right. Perhaps a exposure boost would also improve this one further?

Energy: You've set these up nicely and can see you've paid attention to the placing of the writing on each battery - well done there. Agree with others that more lighting and exposure is required to lift this one as currently looks a little flat.

First: He looks like a real cutie :) and you've done well to catch him with that lovely expression which makes this one a keeper for sure. I like the portrait orientation the best. All round, no crit from me - super picture of a special moment (y)

Hi Si, nicely lit, lovely reflection, and the bokeh really makes for an excellent image (y)

Hi All,

Well, here are my final four submissions for this 52 week challenge...

Week 43 - Grow - well, actually it's a joker as I never did manage a grow photo. So, here is Scar, the ring tail lemur at Drusillas Zoo:
Scar by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Week 50 - Nonsense - Who eats soup with a fork?
Nonsense by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Week 51 - Extravagance in Christmas Lighting and Extravagance in PP.
Extravagence by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Week 52 - Self Support. One of the main reasons we wanted a decent camera and wanted to learn how to take decent photos. From a recent photoshoot in our lounge and probably my most favourite photo ever that I have taken to date.
Self Support by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Hi Simon... All good photos and nonsense did make me laugh! But... Your last photo is wonderful - I can see why you love it!!

Lighting nice and high with fab soft shadows. The vinyl is ultra white and crease-free. Basically all spot on. Well done!

Do what we did with our equivalent and get it printed up big and hung on the wall :)

Fab end to your 52... Well done!

Hi Si, four good images there, but the last is a belter (y)

Well done, another one of us to finish :clap:

Happy New Year, abt for 2015

Yep, nonsense is a great idea brought to life brilliantly.

Extravagance... As long as you know the pp is well Ott then it works fine.

The last is lovely and hopefully will be followed by many many more that you love just as much.

Well done for making it through in a busy year for yourself.

Four great shots to end the year on Simon - well done :clap:

Well done for finishing, Simon, the nonsense one is interesting, I think you could have composted it better to add more interest, but you lay one is well taken.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Simon ..... I love the nonsense shot :) and your final shot is definitely one to treasure....it's good to see you making it to the end :clap:

Yep, my thoughts entirely :)

Love the nonsense and colour of that soup

And self support ... yes get it printed up big.

:clap:

Back