My Braun Super Paxette project

Well done Aled I will be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

RE viewfinders, the best I think is the Russian one as the view is very clear and open. The Braun 'zoom' finder (cine shaped one) is nice as it's original and has better paralax correction than the Russian one but it doesn't magnify; it just masks the view in correspondence of the size lens used. The best overall and the one I use most is the Braun/steinheil viewer. It's the best if both worlds because it's original accessory and it also magnifies although the view window is rather small.

The first thing when you get the camera is to find if the rangefinder is aligned properly. Mine is slightly out but I have learned to compensate slightly and as I'm normally using small apertures it's not such a big deal.

Let us know when you get it!

Ped

P.s do you have a link to the finished auction I would be interested to see it

Oh and as for exposure meters you'll have to try and see. I really like the metraphot 3 because it's made close to the Braun and mine seems fairly accurate. To be honest I normally use it to check apertures against shutter speeds and take the light reading by eye. There aren't many shutter speeds to choose from and I think the XP400 film is pretty tolerant anyway.

Well done Aled I will be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

RE viewfinders, the best I think is the Russian one as the view is very clear and open. The Braun 'zoom' finder (cine shaped one) is nice as it's original and has better paralax correction than the Russian one but it doesn't magnify; it just masks the view in correspondence of the size lens used. The best overall and the one I use most is the Braun/steinheil viewer. It's the best if both worlds because it's original accessory and it also magnifies although the view window is rather small.

The first thing when you get the camera is to find if the rangefinder is aligned properly. Mine is slightly out but I have learned to compensate slightly and as I'm normally using small apertures it's not such a big deal.

Let us know when you get it!

Ped

P.s do you have a link to the finished auction I would be interested to see it

Thanks, I've seen a russian one on the bay, I'll do some more rooting about. Is there another source of things like this at a reasonable price?

When you have a moment, could you please jot down how you go about finding if the rangefinder is aligned properly.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link on here, but the item number is 270624222887.

As regards an exposure meter, I really like the one you have as it's nice and small, and can be mounted on the hotshoe. Again, I'll have to do some research.

Cheers

Aled

There aren't many shutter speeds to choose from and I think the XP400 film is pretty tolerant anyway.

Would that be XP2 400? i.e. the ilford C41 process film. I can't find an XP400 on the Ilford website.

I've just bought a few rolls of Fuji Neopan 400CN, which by all accounts is actually made by Ilford to Fuji's spec, but is actually a little bit better. We'll see...

(I also did a little reading tonight as to B/W developing, you really have started something here...)

Hi mate

Yes I did mean xp2 sorry. I have just finished my roll of kodak so I'll be very interested to see how it compares. I love the pinkish tones in the xp2 though so it'll take some beating.

I sourced all my bits from eBay, I simply set up a worldwide search on the word 'paxette'. You can get some real bargains and there are some chancers out there too, for example I got my steinheil for £8 and there is one with a BIN of over £100, my 38mm lens was £6 and there have been some for £90. You just have to be patient. You can also find bits at car boot sales or decent camera shops like the little place I found in Warwick.

To find if the rangefinder is aligned you'll have to set infinity focus and loom at something such as a chimney or lamp post in the distance, perhaps 100m away. When set correctly the rangefinder patch image should match the image through the window, so it looks like one sharp image. Mine is slightly mis aligned because the rangefinder image is a touch to the left of the naked image. I only realised this after shooting several tolls and most of the pictures o. This thread where I was lining up the images straight so it doesn't seem to matter much although when I close focus I'll sometimes aligh the rangefinder slightly to the left of my target.

On my epson R-D1 the rangefinder is perfect but the view is so much clearer it really makes the paxettes viewfinder look crazy and small but it also reminds me how the important thing is the final image. Some people call the 'paxette' an 'elementary school leica' which is funny because after the war only items costing a certain amount were allowed to be

...exported from Germany so the Braun was made to a price point making it inferior in some peoples eyes. I think it's a funky little camera and seems, in my experience and that of my grandad, to be pretty well made, too!!

I'm posting from my god damn iPhone as I'm on holiday in Yorkshire. Back later today so I'll look at your auction then.

Cheers
Ped

Just seen the auction, looks like a good price. I will be interested to hear more about the 35mm lens as I don't recognise it from the auction picture.

Just developed a Kodak film from my holiday, I'll post some of the better pics shortly.

Cheers
ped

What's the difference between the Paxette and Super Paxette?

OK time for some more shots. All these are taken on Kodak BW400CN film, which I think is very similar to the Ilford. I'm not sure I could tell the difference. I have scanned them in on my Lexmark X series flatbed as .Tiff files, imported into Lightroom and applied some basic correction such as straightening and dust removal.

All taken at Robin Hood's Bay with 45mm Pointikar lens between f11 and f16, shutter at 1/300 apart from last shot which is 1/125

4935145875_37e12545b1.jpg

4935126045_0ce003c2d9.jpg

4935100787_da7bc428be.jpg

4935755392_6d4a2799b3.jpg

Here's my Super Paxette, and little family.

45mm F2.8 Pointikar lens (fitted), 35mm F3.5 Isco-Gottingen Westron, 85mm F5.6 Staeble-Telexon and a 135mm F3.5 Enna Tele-Ennalyt.

Can't wait to load up some film and go walking.

I downloaded a lightmeter app for my iPhone which will get me by, but if anybody has an universal Viewfinder going spare, and for very little money (I've had a few expensive months camera wise!!), I'd be most gratefull.

Cheers

Aled

Edit: Hmmm, no pics...???

Edit2: Pics added - finally!

Last edited:
Love the thread but youve given me the bug , picked up a mamiya 1000 dtl body from the local secondhand market for 3 quid in lovely nick , so now looking for some m42 len's , carnt wait to give it a go yours gwh

I've only just stumbled on this thread. Just wanted to give it a big (y)

There you go.... :)

Thanks! (y)

Still don't know how you did it though. I've tried as many different links/ways as I can find and am no nearer to fixing it.

Edit: now sorted. If any mods would like to tidy this mess up, please feel free to do so.

Cheers

Aled

Last edited:
Loving the thread. Not a film fan but love the photos you have taken of your gorgeous kit.
They are works of art and the way you have shot them shows them off nicely.

Aled, that looks like it's in good condition - do the shutter speeds and the self timer all work? Mine can be slightly sticky on the self timer, but more often than not I'll use a cable release.

I do recognise the 35mm lens now you have the full name; I have a write up from a 50's photography magazine (Practical Photographer, I think) which mentions all the different rangefinder coupled lenses available. We'll have to have a race to see who can collect them all!!!

Thanks for the comments on the thread guys, glad you are enjoying it. It's nice for the Paxette go get some exposure (pardon the pun)

Indeed, my own Paxette was recently featured by Manila Camera Style (a blog I found after being an avid reader of the Tokyo version) http://manilacamerastyle.com/

Cheers
ped

Just won some more bits for the camera - well, in fact another body, a 135mm lens (Staeble Telexon 135mm f3.8) which I will sell as I only really wanted the excellent but quite rare and hard to find Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f2.8 lens.

I'm going to sell my Russian turret viewfinder if anyone would like it, get in touch. It's this one http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4649571779_e647906d74.jpg and in A1 condition, it's actually the best viewfinder for the camera but I'm trying to keep all original kit for my paxette, though this was a great way of checking lenses.

ped

OK here it is - the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f2.8 lens. It's very nice indeed - much heavier than the other lenses and has a really sweet click when changing aperture. I haven't used it yet as I have just loaded some Fuji Neopan film to try so I want to use that with the Pointikar lens so i can directly compare it to the Kodak and Ilford film, then I'll shoot a roll with the Schneider with whichever film I like most (though I have an extra roll of Fuji here)

Also I have a cable release and a few more filters. I have a selection of push fit and screw in filters. Because my lens hoods are varied (some push fit, some screw, some internally threaded, some not) I can't standardise the filters to one type, but to be honest I don't often use them anyway.

The index ring of the Schneider was a little worn, revealing brassing in several places, but I have repainted it carefully with a couple of coats and it's as good as new :)

Cheers
ped

P.s when buying the lens I also got as part of the kit another Super Paxette body and 135mm lens which I am selling on eBay
4979505605_5725f5104b_z.jpg

4979504585_e517a644c8_z.jpg

4980112062_11b2d5c514_z.jpg

4979503093_5c2498d300_z.jpg

4979502247_633b0cea69_z.jpg

Last edited:
I hope I can revive this old thread since it is so great.

I also have a Paxette II camera that I got from my grandfather. He bought it at the Hannover messe in 1952.
I've just started shooting with it but now I'm looking for a flash to go with it.

Does Philips PF1 flash bulbs go well with the camera? I have the older version of Paxette II that does not have any M or X settings for the flash.

The camera has standard PC connection for the flash right?

Here is the camera and the lenses I have for it:
18_4571.jpg

The lenses and the viewfinder for the 85mm and 35mm lenses:
18_6013.jpg

Even the price tags are still attached to the bottom of the lens cases:
18_322.jpg

This is the exposure meter I am using. It is an Electro Bewi from the late 40's:
18_8136.jpg

18_5152.jpg

Vintage photography is a great hobby that doesn't need to cost much money.

Miklas,

Thanks for posting. Your kit looks immaculate! Let us know how you get on using it and show us some results.

Regarding the flash; I actually still haven't tried to connect mine up with a shoe adapter because the flanges on the flash base are too thick, so when I have time I'll file it down so it will fit.

Recently I have been getting into old Polaroid pack cameras and one has a 'flash cube' system which is really interesting; 4 bulbs in a rotating clear cube which is discarded after use. You can adapt these to fit Paxettes too so when I give that a test it might be fun to try it on the Paxette.

Go forth and enjoy the camera - despite buting 'better' rangefinders since, using the Paxette lands me right back on my feet, and I remember what's important to me about my hobby.

Nice lenses by the way - there is a nice 50mm Schneider lens (regarded as the 'best' made for the paxette) on eBay right now at a reasonable price, it might be worth adding to the collection. I can't say I have seen a massive difference between mine and my Pointikar 45mm but I have only shot a single roll with it. There's a 35mm on there I am considering myself, but I have no room left in my case!!

Cheers
ped

Well, here's an update...

6144411153_c95ed73eaa_z.jpg

Super Paxette II

Super Paxette IIB

Super Paxette IIBL

Cheap tripod

Steinheil Munchen viewfinder 35,38,85,90,135

Braun zoom finder 35,38,45,50,85,90,135

Metraphot 3 meter

Cable release

Braun 38mm finder

Strap pin

Enna-Werk Munchen Tele-Ennalyt 1:3.5 f=135mm

Roeschlein-Kreuznach Telenar 1:5.6/135mm

Steinheil Munchen Quinar 1:3.5/85mm

Staeble-Telexon 1:5.6/85mm

Staeble-Telon 1:5.6/85mm

Steinheil-Munchen Quinon 1:2/50mm

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 1:2.8/50mm

Pointikar 1:2.8/45mm

Staeble-Kata 1:2.8/45

Staeble-Choro 1:3.5/38

Staeble-Lineogon 1:3.5/35

In the lid of the case there are manuals for all the cameras (original, in german), manual for the Metraphot meter and the Braun zoom finder, pamphlets and reviews from 50's magazines, some filters (orange, green, yellow), silica gel.

I still need to get proper aluminium lens rear caps and some chrome hoods for those missing, but I'll get there.

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping this thread up, beautiful cameras and a great collection you've got there (y)

Only trouble is that t'missus caught me reading it and is now giving me that look ... :bat:

Unbaleivable, I was trawling for ages the other day for this thread as you gave me the itch to get one last year and then I forgot what it was called.

Your current kit is ammazing very jealous. :)

Unbaleivable, I was trawling for ages the other day for this thread as you gave me the itch to get one last year and then I forgot what it was called.

Your current kit is ammazing very jealous. :)

Ha, to be honest i usually find just googling the terms and the name of the forum is far more effective than using the actual forum search tool :p

But yeah, loving the kit. How much do you reckon it's set you back, in total?

I would estimate that the full kit cost about £600ish... difficult to say. I think as a full kit it would be worth a bit more to some people but it's not going anywhere. The rangefinders on the new bodies are perfectly in line too, which is great. Just ran a test roll through with all the new lenses. The Quinon F2 is lovely, the fastest lens they made for the Paxette.

Just waiting for some aluminium 39mm body caps for the two new bodies and then I'll have to play the waiting game for some 40.5mm chrome hoods on eBay - I'm thinking about spraying the leica style vented hood on the Quinon to see how that works as the vented hoods work nicely.

Oh, and I've added a nice self timer to the set, in line above the strap button...

I'll do some more/better pics of the kit and post some pictures FROM the cameras soon.

Cheers
ped

Ped, as I've said before that is an awesome collection you've put together and I was wondering whether you have only bought mint kit or have you polished them with something as they all look in outstanding condition?

Thanks! It's all in very good nick but mainly because I have cleaned it all up. Being mostly metal it comes up really nicely. A few of the lenses are tricky to clean because of the 'ribbed' grips but patience and a toothpick does it.

I was very lucky to get the two 'new' bodies (the IIb and IIbl) on eBay and couldn't believe the condition they are in, literally brand new and the meters work perfectly. Very unusual.

I ended up with an extra 35mm lens which I'm sending to a Flickr Paxette friend as we were both searching for one for ages!

They all work perfectly apart form the self timers are slow (very slow) so I use a screw in type which is brilliant, or cable release.

A couple of poor phone pics, better detail pics coming this weekend

a44c9d13.jpg

652b64b4.jpg

hi Ped

was in a charity shop this evening

box of bits included a

STEINHEIL-MUNCHEN CASSARIT 1:2.8 50MM LENS serial 2045560 Germany

any use to you..? what should i offer them..?

John, If Ped's not interested it would be nice to be able add that to my Paxette kit. Unless you're thinking of starting your own :LOL:

Thanks for the heads up - I'll pass for now as I think I'm all maxed out on 50mm lenses, I really love the Schneider Xenar. I think we should all build up a big paxette collection... who's next?!

Have you possibly thought of doing something like this for a living :shrug:; even as a part-time thing?

I am sure there is potential in your "search & rescue" skills (y), especially with the way the whole kit looks in that bag :love:

Btw John I would say that lens is worth £50 if it's got clean optics. I should think they will easily go for that!

I would love to do this as a job! I'm thinking about making another case full of Exacta gear, actually.

Cheers

Back