My minimal project #48 and #49 added :)

The second image tells a story ... reminds me of a lovely 60s photo we had on the wall of family friend Donald Campbell with people involved in his world land speed record.

@posiview Only just spotted this thread. Reading through it all now, I can see how this is developing. I actually like how some are dark, and some are not, because if this was a book for example, it could be varied in a way that make it become visual punctuation... like commas in a sentence to pace the reading of the book.

Be careful you don't crop back into pictorial mode though. Most have an abstraction about them but those last few are starting to become quite ordinary as landscapes... minimal landscapes I grant you... but a bit of a departure from the previous pages.

If you start to edit... some of them work really well together.

GFASd5Y.jpg

The more normal landscape shots don't seem to fit in so well. I think you need to choose weather really carefully... really detail-less skies, and think of your processing. Normally we try to avoid white, detail less skies.. I think you need to fight that compulsion a little here and see what you can come up with.

Last edited:
How have I missed this Andy !

I love the concept ....it would be difficult to choose a favourite as they are all excellent, but the cup, the white flower, the tulip and the steps really stand out for me, oh and the Majorca ones ....I did say I shouldn't try to choose :) I wondered what the tulip one would look like with the black and white reversed.

Looking forward to seeing lots more ....these would make a great book, I hope you'll do something with them at the end.

Last edited:
@posiview Only just spotted this thread. Reading through it all now, I can see how this is developing. I actually like how some are dark, and some are not, because if this was a book for example, it could be varied in a way that make it become visual punctuation... like commas in a sentence to pace the reading of the book.

Be careful you don't crop back into pictorial mode though. Most have an abstraction about them but those last few are starting to become quite ordinary as landscapes... minimal landscapes I grant you... but a bit of a departure from the previous pages.

If you start to edit... some of them work really well together.

GFASd5Y.jpg

The more normal landscape shots don't seem to fit in so well. I think you need to choose weather really carefully... really detail-less skies, and think of your processing. Normally we try to avoid white, detail less skies.. I think you need to fight that compulsion a little here and see what you can come up with.

Cheers, David @Pookeyhead appreciate the advice. The temptation to submit something is quite hard for me, and I constantly remind myself what minimal is. I did a Google search before I started and a significant number of photographs weren't, IMO, minimal, so I see what you are saying about slipping into pictorial mode.

It was quite important to look for some darker ones, I didn't really know why, but your comments make sense.

I might consider producing a book for myself at some point and after watching few photography videos on books, one of the best for me was a Joel Meyerowitz where he talked through his thought process when laying out his photographs for one of his books.

Cheers.

How have I missed this Andy !

I love the concept ....it would be difficult to choose a favourite as they are all excellent, but the cup, the white flower, the tulip and the steps really stand out for me, oh and the Majorca ones ....I did say I shouldn't try to choose :) I wondered what the tulip one would look like with the black and white reversed.

Looking forward to seeing lots more ....these would make a great book, I hope you'll do something with them at the end.

Cheers, Susie, I only just saw your Hands project and I'll comment later today (y)

Last edited:
I concluded a few months ago that I was rushing the project. I felt the needed to keep the project current.

I arose at 03:45 and drove to Ingleton, even thought I knew there was not going to be any real cloud in the sky for a decent sunset photograph, I went anyway and was proved right. I didn't mind, just being there on my own, in the quiet watching the sun rise was well worth the drive.

There's a reservoir on the way back that I've been looking to photograph for years. Today the mist was really atmospheric so I pulled over and investigated.

I really liked the way the mist created a sense of aloneness. Reminded me of when I was a child and there was always something under the bed, even though I couldn't see it. Looking into the mist I could imagine a pirate ship sailing out and towards me :)

Very little processing was needed, because very little was visible.

Anyways, here are three.

Cheers.

Minimal 25 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 26 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 27 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like the first one ... FG detail without really knowing where the horizon might be. (y)

Andy, I hadn't seen this before. I think it's a wonderful project. I really like the first few, particularly the grasses in the snow (I realise that's a long time back). When I looked at the one with clouds, it didn't feel like part of the same idea... after the red umbrella idea, I visualised a crop with just a tiny fragment of tree branch at the bottom. You came up with a different solution that works, too.

Of these last three, I think I prefer the first for its simplicity and anonymity. With the other two, I'm struggling to decode the spit of land to the right, whereas the first is perhaps calmer. I do think monochrome (not necessarily black and white) suits this project (taking colour out is another step towards minimalism, I guess... and with digital you really are taking the colour out). So for example, I thought the mono tulip worked better, although I'm not often a fan of mono flowers. Coming back to these, the more de-saturated colours of the third and particularly the second might work better on the first. Maybe it would fade to nothing... but that's pretty much where you started in January, and they're brilliant.

Framing is clearly an issue... the flickr versions do indeed work better than on TP.

It's a great project, I really like it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hi Andy ....hard to choose a favourite as they each have their own merit ...I love your comment about the pirate ship ....very appropriate.
I think I'd go for the first one as I like the composition of the 50/50 split, it captures the mysterious misty feel really well with the gradual fade from the right hand corner. Great topic [emoji4] looking forward to seeing some more.

I really like the first one ... FG detail without really knowing where the horizon might be. (y)

Cheers, David.

Andy, I hadn't seen this before. I think it's a wonderful project. I really like the first few, particularly the grasses in the snow (I realise that's a long time back). When I looked at the one with clouds, it didn't feel like part of the same idea... after the red umbrella idea, I visualised a crop with just a tiny fragment of tree branch at the bottom. You came up with a different solution that works, too.

Of these last three, I think I prefer the first for its simplicity and anonymity. With the other two, I'm struggling to decode the spit of land to the right, whereas the first is perhaps calmer. I do think monochrome (not necessarily black and white) suits this project (taking colour out is another step towards minimalism, I guess... and with digital you really are taking the colour out). So for example, I thought the mono tulip worked better, although I'm not often a fan of mono flowers. Coming back to these, the more de-saturated colours of the third and particularly the second might work better on the first. Maybe it would fade to nothing... but that's pretty much where you started in January, and they're brilliant.

Framing is clearly an issue... the flickr versions do indeed work better than on TP.

It's a great project, I really like it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hi, Chris, totally agree about the clouds photograph, Very much finding my feet.

I'm certainly revisiting them for some self crit and the first of the last set is one of my favourites.

They do, indeed look better in Flickr.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

Hi Andy ....hard to choose a favourite as they each have their own merit ...I love your comment about the pirate ship ....very appropriate.
I think I'd go for the first one as I like the composition of the 50/50 split, it captures the mysterious misty feel really well with the gradual fade from the right hand corner. Great topic [emoji4] looking forward to seeing some more.

Hi, Susie, yeah, #1 of the last set is my favourite so far.

Cheers.

Hi, all, I've wanted to get to this park for a while but there's usually kids in the park and I'd struggle getting a clean photograph.

I decided to leave some colour in on a few because the B&W versions didn't really feel right to me. I particularly liked the hint of green on the underside of #3.

Great weather this morning for minimal :)

They do look better via Flickr.

Cheers.

Minimal 34 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 33 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 31 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 32 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 29 copy by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Minimal 28 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Andy ....good to see some more additions to your project, yes, they are definitely much better viewed on Flickr without any added distractions.

I couldn't work out what the first one was ...at first glance I thought a leaf but it's obviously not...I really like number three, I think the colour against the chrome works well ...I would though be tempted to turn it and have it coming into the picture from the bottom left. My favourite is the fourth one as generally speaking I think this subject lends itself best to pure black and white and it works perfectly on that one.

I love this idea ...maybe we'll get 'minimal' one week in the 52's ...have we had that one I can't remember, if not it would make a very interesting challenge.

Last edited:
Hi Andy ....good to see some more additions to your project, yes, they are definitely much better viewed on Flickr without any added distractions.

I couldn't work out what the first one was ...at first glance I thought a leaf but it's obviously not...I really like number three, I think the colour against the chrome works well ...I would though be tempted to turn it and have it coming into the picture from the bottom left. My favourite is the fourth one as generally speaking I think this subject lends itself best to pure black and white and it works perfectly on that one.

I love this idea ...maybe we'll get 'minimal' one week in the 52's ...have we had that one I can't remember, if not it would make a very interesting challenge.

Thanks susie, one thing I like about these especially number two and three is the absence of anything to determine the size of the objects themselves. The object could be massive of it could be very small and that does appeal to me.

I never consider flipping horizontally or vertically any of the photographs but I do see where you're coming from I'll give it a try later on, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

Wonderful series, inspirational

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Andy

Really liking 32 :clap:

But not too sure on the others, they seem erm... like full on processed, oddly cropped/offset compositional parts of objects, rather than a feint object blending into a background, but maybe that's just my preference of your images :)

Cheers, Dean. The project is a lot harder than I anticipated. Which is strange considering there isn't much in the frame :)

I'm considering parking the project for a whole. I have a few others in mind, one involving zebra crossings :)

Cheers.

The second misty one is more on target for minimal if you ask me. These last 6 seem to be a bit different, maybe higher contrast a bit more recognisable and less abstract or less impressionist? to your starting images and I wonder if you will embrace or reject them as time goes on?

It's good to see you are still working at it, and it's bold of you to share, keep it up. (y)

Last edited:
Hopefully this stays ticking along occasionally as it would be a shame :)

Zebra crossings sounds interesting :D

Cheers, Dean.

The second misty one is more on target for minimal if you ask me. These last 6 seem to be a bit different, maybe higher contrast a bit more recognisable and less abstract or less impressionist? to your starting images and I wonder if you will embrace or reject them as time goes on?

It's good to see you are still working at it, and it's bold of you to share, keep it up. (y)

Cheers, Brian, it's very much a learning\evolving project.

Still working on it and not in any rush.

Cheers (y)

Afternoon all, I decided to really take my time with this project.

I have found it quite difficult to capture minimal photographs without resorting to, as I have using extreme composition to place objects in the extremes of the frame.

I was watching the water at Ingleton Falls and it was flooding with such ferocity that I was totally captivated. I was thinking about my minimal project and that it doesn't always have to be about the absence of something, and that a photograph that is filled with water can also be minimal. I then got all philosophical and noticed that when I took a long exposure I was capturing water on the RHS of the frame and the same water on the LHS of the frame, IYSWIM :)

Anyway, before I get any weirder here's my latest Minimal. Is it original? nope, bit it fits my interpretation of minimal.

Cheers.

NB, bugger, just noticed the water droplets :oops: :$

Minimal 35 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice one Andy, and the explanation above is not that weird, you are amongst friends here... I think this ties in nicely with your other images and I like that there is variety, clearly you are "finding" your way and it is a joy to observe your process. In short, Keep it up buddy, you're doing a great job. (y)

Nice one Andy, and the explanation above is not that weird, you are amongst friends here... I think this ties in nicely with your other images and I like that there is variety, clearly you are "finding" your way and it is a joy to observe your process. In short, Keep it up buddy, you're doing a great job. (y)

It is a bit mind boggling thinking the water is in two places on the same photo :thinking: - but fully understand what you are saying, I'm with you on the interpretation too (y)

Cheers, guys, I never thought a Minimal project would be so hard :)

Nice one. For me one of the best so far.

we were at the Hepworth Wakefield Gallery today. They had a load of plain white plaster casts of sculptures and I thought "they look minimal like they belong Andy's project". Photography is allowed! ;)

Nice one. For me one of the best so far.

we were at the Hepworth Wakefield Gallery today. They had a load of plain white plaster casts of sculptures and I thought "they look minimal like they belong Andy's project". Photography is allowed! ;)

I once nailed several suits (including one of my brothers) to one of the walls where I lived then plastered over them and the whole wall. Looked great :)

Last edited:
I once nailed several suits (including one of my brothers) to one of the walls where I lived then plastered over them and the whole wall. Looked great :)

Ok, so now I'm scared of you! :D

Actually that sounds great. Have you considered manufacturing any props for your project?

Well, its been a while :)

Not easy to do, TBH.

Decided to try something a little different and I hope to expand the type of minimals I submit.

Nipped out to Temple Newsam in Leeds last night and saw this one, composed it, processed it and rather like it. Might keep my eyes open for a few more. I really like the uber black top, well, here you go.

Cheers.

Experimental 2 by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Thanks for popping by Susie, the thing I like about this project is there really is no rush, I can really take the time to look for shots I think really suit the project.

thanks

As fascinating as they are Andy, I feel these don't really say minimal to me.
I find the scene quite busy, sorry.

Fabulous shot Andy I love it, I agree with Iain if you could have isolated one or two of the posts it would be more minimal, but it's certainly one I could live with.

Cheers, Susie, I'll be parking this project for a while to start another one :)

Thanks everyone for your input and support (y)

Back