New Old Film Challenge discussion thread

Oh yeah, the poll for #123 Bottoms is up, almost down again, forgot to say. Soz

Well I was going to put up a shot that most people would not have taken...erm well every mother (or father) would have done this:- :eek:o_O

4f6V28v.jpg

Good choice, surprisingly we haven’t had a lot of beer related challenges.

Trying to decide if that is my OM2 or someone else's Nikon.
It could well be yours, as I recall we’d just been to Poundland and cleared them out of 400 Agfa Vista.

I'm kicking thView attachment 270405is off with a shot from 1975(?). Zenit B/ Helios standard lens. No idea what the film was. The Pack Horse, Bolton. Great Guiness or perhaps a Black and Tan.

Love this! It's the wallpaper/the ties/the tables/the crockery/the hair/but mostly what the guy on the right is wearing. That shirt, tie and cardigan combo is epic and brings back some memories!

Love this! It's the wallpaper/the ties/the tables/the crockery/the hair/but mostly what the guy on the right is wearing. That shirt, tie and cardigan combo is epic and brings back some memories!
I'm thinking it's probably for the best that it's in b&w.

what a topic for the competition...

congratulations - you've just reduced a curmudgeonly old scroat of a mod to tears looking through a deck of scans from a particularly boozy (as I remember watching it pass by as a 11 year old!) holiday. Posted the one that finally cracked me up - not for any photographic values - though like most of these, I'm guessing there's gonna be some social history involved... Oh my god those Checked Slacks my dad was wearing FFS...

What a brilliant theme for the NOFC.

I'm sure I've got a shot of my mum and brother in a pub garden somewhere, taken back in the 60's with my mum's Kodak Duaflex but I'm damned if I cam find it.

It's a proper kids shot as well, as I've cut off their heads :LOL:

It's a proper kids shot as well, as I've cut off their heads :LOL:

that's how I know i took the photo, and not my Mother... if she'd have taken it, they'd have been beheaded. There's Soooooo many pictures in the big bag of photographs that I simply didn't scan because they were just a series of chests and shoulders... come to think of it, there might be an amusing short photobook in there somewhere,,, It'll take some curating though - because it goes from when I was a toddler, all the way through to when I finally bought a digital camera (little ixus thing) and she could frame at arms length using the display on the back. It was obviously something to do with looking through the eyepiece as she pressed the shutter .

that's how I know i took the photo, and not my Mother... if she'd have taken it, they'd have been beheaded.
It probably wasn't her fault though, some of those 110 cameras were terrible. I bought my girlfriend one that even had a slide-across tele lens, but she kept beheading with it and declared it rubbish. The stupid viewfinder had godawful aiming issues if you weren't exactly square onto it. It looked right in the shonky viewfinder, but you were pointing the camera at your feet!

It probably wasn't her fault though, some of those 110 cameras were terrible. I bought my girlfriend one that even had a slide-across tele lens, but she kept beheading with it and declared it rubbish. The stupid viewfinder had godawful aiming issues if you weren't exactly square onto it. It looked right in the shonky viewfinder, but you were pointing the camera at your feet!

ah, but my mother also beheaded people with my AE1p, a couple of Olympus Trips, a couple of 120 roll film "compacts" that I can't remember the name of, my Bronica with a prism finder and a old Yashica twin lens reflex. She just couldn't NOT move the camera down as she pressed the shutter - at least until she was holding it at arms length in front of her and looking at the screen of a digital. She'd have been fine with cameraphones, but by the time they came available enough she wasn't really out and about taking photos anymore.

the 110 was crap though.

Well I only have the shots at meets that you have all seen before, and others with more recent shots of my family that no one would be interested in unless they were very old. :(
I don’t mind if we’ve seen them before brian, if they can be shoehorned into the challenge then let’s see them.

Yes, we could do with a few more entries, the weekend will be here before we know it.

Ramsdens Currency, is that fish & chips? Could be the new currency actually having seen the state of the fresh and frozen food situation at Sainsbury's today!

And Coro...... Bugs! [emoji23]
Never mind old chap, after all, you have fresh croissant and langoustine over there, and those are the only big words you'll need to know. Beurre, vin and Cognac are much shorter, and anything else worth its while, such as moules marinières and Coquilles St Jacques, aren't one word, but several. :)

Last edited:
Exactly. As long as he's safe and well, then that's all that matters at the moment. (y)

see the thread dude...

i did realise, eventually

it's been a tough three weeks or so...

see the thread dude...

i did realise, eventually

it's been a tough three weeks or so...
Not seen the thread yet, but will look now.

Edit: Seen the thread. Have a glass or two of water before you go to bed or you'll have a bad head in the morning afternoon. My thoughts and best wishes are with you, chin up and get some kip. Badger's orders! (y)

Last edited:
Poll now up. Favourite 6 from the list, 3 days to vote and it cuts off automagically. Hopefully I'll remember to declare winner and pass the baton over the weekend.

Thanks for your patience folks

...and don't forget folks take plenty of vitamin C....erm well I've never had scurvy o_O

The thing that struck me, looking through those pics to vote, was how close together everyone was! Strange times we live in now...

Back