NEW PHOTOS Week 21 Twisted & Week 22 Hidden - Jonathan's photo 52 - 2011

This is our friend Chrystal applying the final touches to Sarah's (my wife) hair. You might say it is the finish....

Thank you to Kristian (kh_42) for help with the processing and teaching me new things.

C&C welcome.
Jonathan

finishing_processed.jpg

Hiya Jonathan,

Wow this photo for finish is fantastic :clap: and right on theme. I love the focus, DOF, colours, lighting is great and the processing just finishes it off nicely.

In my eyes I can't see anything to fault it, except one little nit pick (only minor) and that would be to clone the light above the stylists head which seems to draw my attention (but like I say only a minor point).

Otherwise I think this is brilliant and I can definetly see the progress you are making through this project.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Jonathan,

In my eyes I can't see anything to fault it, except one little nit pick (only minor) and that would be to clone the light above the stylists head which seems to draw my attention (but like I say only a minor point).

Thanks Dawn! I really appreciate your comments. I hadn't noticed the spot-light but now I can't take my eyes off it!
Thanks for the tip.
Jonathan

Some more processing for this weeks shot but it's all new for me. This is Simon and he gave his express permission for me to make him look like pop art.
C&C welcome
Jonathan

triostrip.jpg

Love the trio shot. Keep meeting to try some funky colour shots and thats a real inspiration!

Hiya Jonathan,

I'm going to go against the grain here, sorry. I think your idea is good, but to me the subject and colour combination you have chosen just don't do it for me.

I have been backwards and forwards to this trio shot since you posted it, to see if my thoughts changed, but unfortunately not.

However, I'll explain to you why it doesn't work for me and what I think would look good ....

Firstly, the doggie is very cute (the focus on the eyes is a tad soft ... but not sure if that is just the colours playing tricks).

Personally I think that with this particular breed of dog it would have been better to maybe have a colour shot, then a b&w shot and finally a sepia shade.

However, I think the colours you have chosen would have maybe worked for a breed of dog such as a Dalmatian, where there is distinct b&w in the coat.

Have to agree with Michael too about a black border to set it off.

Otherwise I think your idea is good, so I hope my critique doesn't come across as negative.

Now to wait for the announcement of week 11 (wow these weeks are flying past).

Cheers

Personally I think that with this particular breed of dog it would have been better to maybe have a colour shot, then a b&w shot and finally a sepia shade.

Hi Dawn, of course I don't see your comments as negative. Actually the trio you suggested was my original intention however Simon isn't the best model. He just won't sit still and whenever I try and take a snap of him he barks! With this particular shot, you're quite right, the eyes (and the ears) are soft which made me think of doing it in colour, where the lack of sharpness wasn't so apparent.

Maybe one day I'll convince him to sit still!

Cheers
Jonathan

After seeing your photos for Hard, Clutter, Delicate, Chaos & Finish I was a little disappointed with your Trio photo
:(

From what I had seen of your photographic skills as demonstrated by the previous weeks I really feel you can do a lot better :)

For my re-shoot I went for trio. I felt that with my first attempt (only the previous week) the pop art idea was fine but the photo poor. Simon has such nice colours anyway that changing them did him a disservice!

This one was taken during a game of liars dice. A nice trio of sixes...

trio2web.jpg

week 11 does it for me i looked then thought eh there's more then 3 then i got iti i hope thats what you aimed . all image should make you lokk not just glance
also week 9
i like the way week 8 looks its the angle i think some good themes(y):clap: and shoots

A catchup of the last two weeks. Glad I'm just about able to keep up!

Moderation - I'm not sure this really says moderation, more the requirement to keep it in mind! We tried to shoot with my wife pulling her hand back to show moderation but it didn't really work out...

moderationweb.jpg

Empty - this our dog, Simon. Hopefully the photo speaks for itself as this is him flat out...empty. It's a little softer than I'd like but I suppose it could add to the dreamy subtext.

emptyweb.jpg

Hiya Jonathan,

Ooops, I seem to have missed your week 11 which I think is a lovely photo, very rich in colour and I like the way you have the focus on the die and the blurry box surrounding. I've never heard of the game, but see you provided a link which I will check out some time.

Week 12: Love the processing, bit of light reflection on the left of the packet which is very slightly distracting as too are some of the dark areas of the background. I'm not sure if that was the effect you were trying to create in the bg :shrug:

Week 13: Now for me this has to be your best shot yet. I absolutely love it (y) Indeed the softness adds to the dreamy feeling and you only need to look at Simon's eye to realise he is 'empty' as if there is nobody home at the mo and he is well in the land of nod. I just love looking at this photo, well done :clap:

Also good job on catching up, you are doing great with your project.

Cheers

Hi Jonathan, just had a lookthrough your 52 & 2 stand out for me

Finish week 8, have to agree with all the previous comments, bang on theme & really nice processing

Empty week 13, your dog does in indeed look empty, completey worn out & the soft image works well

Hi Jonathan,

Just returning the compliments...........well hopefully :LOL:

You've got some great shots, I love the piano man shot. I think you could edit that 100 ways tbh.

Delicate is always gonna be a winner, I must take a hundred shots a week of my grandson (y)

Moderation Mmmmmmmmmmmm, good take but you really trying to tell me that female hand stopped dipping before the bag was empty?

The shot of Simon flat out, is a nice capture, maybe darkenthe highlights a bit. I do think the soft focus works well, have you tried it in B&W?

Keep plugging away, I'm usually shooting & posting last thing on a Sunday :bang:

Mick

TinaC said:
I'll bet simon didn't stay 'Empty' for long.

I can't decide whether or not ilike the very soft finish...

I don't think I do! Perhaps I'll try again and not have the light in the background either...

Sent from my Nexus One using TP Forums

Hi Jonathon

your Moderation shot really appeals to me , lovely simple colors , it has a rich feel to it , great stuff (y)

Your shot of Simon is also really nice , like the softness as gives it a dreamy effect (y)

Good work & well done on catching up with your project (y)

A picture of protesters who object to the continuing rule of Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi, praying on Parliament Hill, Ottawa.

objectweb.jpg

I've been away so keeping on top of things has proved difficult! As you can probably tell from the pictures we've been in Las Vegas and when I came back and looked through the shots, they all looked rather touristy. Nothing wrong with that per se but not what I'm looking for in my 52. Anyway, I still haven't done week 15, wrong, but here's 16 & 17.

Paradox

paradoxweb.jpg

Tropical

tropicalweb.jpg

Hi Jonathan _ I really like the shot for Paradox but I dont understand what the Paradox is. Am i missing something ? I really like the shot regardless of theme , the mono works well.

I'm glad you ask. All you need is love is the paradox.

I would have liked to have caught the Beatle to the right properly but just didn't notice I'd missed him when taking the shot!

I'm not entirely convinced I like this one. I wanted to get Canada's houses of parliament to show power and, while it reflects the theme, I'm not too sure it's a good enough photo. Any tips appreciated!

powerweb.jpg

I think the main distraction for me is the converging verticals. A few minutes in PS can sort that out. The HDR looks a bit overworked, but it might make a cracking B&W conversion. Finally, maybe clone out the people in the far right, they are niether in or out at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

adie

I agree with Adie that the far right hand interlopers need cloning out and you have achieved that really well (y)

I also agree that the converging vertical s need rearranging. the image is a great depiction of power but those verticals are distracting. What post facilities do you have?

Photoshop & Lightroom. I tried to correct the verticals and think I did a little bit from the first one but you're right, not enough. I used transform>perspective I think.... I didn't really know what I was doing! Any ideas?

Hope you don't mind, but this was 1 minute in PS on your jpg...

powertiffv2a.jpg

I will remove if your not happy.

What I did was use transform on a new layer, then use a combination of distort and perspective.

Then tone using channel mixer in mono...

Rgds

Adie

Back