Nickbee's 2024 52 - Week 17 Structure

Really like this shot, especially how the blue, pink and yellow compliment each other. Have to ask as curious, is that a 350Z?

Like it, want one!! Certainly very vivid. I can imagine a kinda selective colour shot with an urban backdrop in mono. But that's just me.

I don't think my thread's ever been so busy.

That pops!

Thanks, I was hoping it would.

Nicely framed and got the pop just right

Too many framing options for my liking but I'm glad you like the choice.

I think a square crop would work too. Anyway, plenty of vivid colours and ticked the box.

Square does work, and more so if you're thinking of it as a shot of the car, but I was prioritising the colours and wanted the sky.

Really like this shot, especially how the blue, pink and yellow compliment each other. Have to ask as curious, is that a 350Z?

It is indeed! Yellow ones are rare and we live quite close so if you see one out and about, it's probably me!

Brave man with a yellow car (says the driver of a grey car)

Don't worry, my daily car is a much more understated dark blue.

Like it, want one!! Certainly very vivid. I can imagine a kinda selective colour shot with an urban backdrop in mono. But that's just me.

I went out into the countryside to find an oilseed rape field in bloom and take the yellowest photo ever but clearly I don't live where @HelenC does because I couldn't find any. It was whilst looking for an industrial barn or something to take exactly the sort of shot you describe, when I saw this cherry blossom and had to stop. It's so often used in Japanese imagery.

Nice one, fits vivid to a T

Thanks Ryan

That's certainly a tick in the vivid box. And very clean too!

Thank you, I can assure you it doesn't look that clean very often!

Week 16 - Empty

Week 16 - Empty by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Holy moly, it's nearly two weeks since I interacted with the forum at all. What has happened to time? Oh wait, this isn't Talk Philosophy. I'll just get on with my catch-up.

I took this about half an hour after the theme was announced with the intention of posting first. Then I realised that my weekend included participating in a pub crawl and spectating at the London Marathon, both of which had plenty of potential for different kinds of emptiness. In the end I took very few photos at either. Really boring lighting in the original, processed a lot to try and make it look a bit more interesting.

Last edited:
Week 17 - Structure

Week 17 - Structure by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Then the next weekend I was back in east London for a third time to watch my daughter perform at the O2. Photography was allowed but "professional cameras" (like my 77D) weren't. It wasn't a complete waste taking it as I got this shot of the roof of the O2 on my way in. I've already ticked the vivid box but pretty vivid nevertheless,

Last edited:
Nice shot. :)

What's a professional camera? I thought it was people that were pros not bits of kit ;)

Nice structure shot Nick.

As an aside, I've had two 77D's. Bought, used, sold, regretted, bought.... I loved that camera, and wish I still had one (changed up for a Fuji X-S10 a year or so ago, which isn't a bad bit if kit, but...)

Structure shot is nice with the pops of yellow.

Still staggers me the way people (i.e. non-togs) view kit as being professional (or not).

About four of five years ago, we were working with a pro on a job (Andy Smith). He was talking about how he shot Fuji FF mirrorless for his personal work and would be happy to use it on professional jobs, but clients got nervous because a smaller footprint mirrorless camera didn't look as 'professional' as turning up with a full size DSLR.

In your case, you could have taken something like a Ricoh GRiii which is also an APS-C and they'd have been fine with it.

Really nice Structure shot, the vivid treatment works well.

I use a 77D, look at the mirrorless option occasionally but not convinced that the investment with lenses as well would improve my pictures. Law of diminishing returns I guess, but wouldn’t be happy with a “lower” camera now

Back