weekly Nikon_Nick's 52 Week Challenge: Week 12 - Magical - Added

Hi, sorry I've no been here before. I really really like your self portrait for sigh. A truly difficult thing to do so well done with that. I'm sorry to say your sweet battle doesn't appeal to me, I don't know why. Your secure though is very nice and I absolutely agree with your rationale. Lovely shot but you may be in the mire when she finds out you've taken secret shots while she was asleep..

Hi Stephen, welcome to my thread :wave:

Appreciate your thoughts on all the shots so far, many thanks (y)

Fear – Nice idea. I like the angle you’ve taken it at

Sigh – I really like the self portrait. You’ve handled this well.

Sweet – Nice shot bring a smile to my face

Secure - Fits the theme well.

Don't apologise for a lack of commenting. We all get busy and as you can see I'm in catch up mode this week.

Cheers Peter, appreciate you taking the time (y)

Ive been doing a lot more commenting on the Flickr page, as for some reason my PC takes forever to load a page from this site :bang:

Hi Nick

Doing a bit of selective catch up.

Sweet - to me not enough on theme as I don't see the connection with the models and the sugar mountains. Sorry

secure - good shot. B&W and lighting works well. Also it seems very naturally secure - it does not seem posed. You have already commented on the crop and this would only serve to improve what is already a good image

Hi Nick

Doing a bit of selective catch up.

Sweet - to me not enough on theme as I don't see the connection with the models and the sugar mountains. Sorry

secure - good shot. B&W and lighting works well. Also it seems very naturally secure - it does not seem posed. You have already commented on the crop and this would only serve to improve what is already a good image

Cheers Alan, thanks for your comments (y)

I wanted to show the contrast in scenery for this shot. Unfortunately the weather wasnt great, but today was the only day that I would have been able to go out to take it. Im fairly pleased with it though...

6823455609_9ff579327a_z.jpg

Nice illustration of the contrast between industry and nature, I would have liked to see more pronounced view of the chimnet stacks but obviously the weather conditions affected this.

The white steam is somewhat lost but I can see what you were achieving here, same the weather wasn't on your side. Still a noteworthy effort all the same. ;)

Hi, there, blooming weather...:D

I like the low saturation, works better than a B&W conversion.

I wonder is a small border would improve?

Cheers.

I really like it Nick, I think the steam blends nicely into the cold atmosphere and adds to the effect. The image is crispy sharp too and definitely on bang on subject.

Nice illustration of the contrast between industry and nature, I would have liked to see more pronounced view of the chimnet stacks but obviously the weather conditions affected this.

Cheers! Yep weather was rubbish!! I already did a bit of a contrast boost on the stacks to make them stand out a bit more.....it was a tad murky out there this morning :D

nice shot Nick, its a shame the stack are in the distance, would have looked quite good with there reflections in the pond..

Cheers Darren, yeah the reflections would have been ideal, but it is such a tight area down there, and this was the only composition I could get without including other unwanted elements. As it is I had to clone out some overhead power cables from the top right hand corner :)

Its on theme and the contrast between the industry and nature is good too. :clap:

I found today that white snow and grey skies equals hard photography too so well done for still having a go. I agree with Gramps and Darren but I appreciate the difficulty with the weather.

Hi, there, blooming weather...:D

I like the low saturation, works better than a B&W conversion.

I wonder is a small border would improve?

Cheers.

Cheers mate, I did try this in B+W but as you have already stated, it didnt work as well as this version. Some of the foliage was a little colourful for the look I was going for, so just did some localised de-saturation.

Ill have a play aroud with some borders, and see how it looks (y)

I really like it Nick, I think the steam blends nicely into the cold atmosphere and adds to the effect. The image is crispy sharp too and definitely on bang on subject.

Cheers Nick, appreciate your comment (y)

Its on theme and the contrast between the industry and nature is good too. :clap:

I found today that white snow and grey skies equals hard photography too so well done for still having a go. I agree with Gramps and Darren but I appreciate the difficulty with the weather.

Cheers buddy. I wasnt to worried about the exposure on the sky, as there were no details for me to lose :D, so just wanted to make sure the snow was snow coloured (y)

Last edited:
Time for a catch up...

Sweet - not your best I'm afraid. Theme is a bit weak and it lacks contrast to me.

Secure - nice, simple and on theme.

Industrial - quite like the yellow against the snow and mist, would've preferred slightly more industry in it though.

Hi Nick....apologies...didn't realise I'd missed so many of your weeks :crying:

In no particular order.....

Sweet......made me smile :)....nice to see an out of the box image....great colors , good focus , whites about spot on (y) Could maybe have cloned out the line running along the background ?

Secure....yeah . like it a lot....great focus , simple effective & right on theme (y)

Industry......really like this....the small splash of color , the frosty tree's , the smoke trail....really effective...good shot :clap:

I like the way the chimneys dominate the landscape, great shot!

Manda, Steve, Trevor, Ivan, Chris, Lynne, Robert, DK, Michael and Mark, many thanks for all of your comments. It really is appreciated, and I wish I could spend more time on the forum going through the threads properly. Unfortunately, this site is painfully slow on my PC and Ive decided to concentrate on commenting on peoples shots via Flickr. Hope that is ok :|

Thanks again everyone (y)

I like it. Can't fight the weather and I think that's probably as good as you could expect on a day like that.

As well as photographing subjects outside of my comfort zone during this 52 weel project, im also experimenting with different looks, post processing wise. Quite liked the look of this. I added a bit of a cross processed look. Cheers...

6863855303_0ec6ca33ac_z.jpg

Back