weekly NikonKev's 52 in 2015

Good use of pattern here Kev, Nice use of textures also which add to the shot.

Hi Kev

Good shot and nicely on theme (y)

One observation more generally is that photographing objects "flat on" can lead to a lack of depth (not an issue for this week's theme though). I'm not sure if you played around with different angles and camera positions but I always find it's worth investigating alternatives just to compare. Quite often I'll go back to my original choice though!

Well taken and I really like the woven mat background and, in particular, the angle you've placed it at - diagonals usually work well and it's certainly the case in this image. Central compositions sometimes make us think of square crops but I'm pleased you've left it landscape as we get to see more mat :)

Good job and welcome to the 52 club!

Thanks for the reply's.
I tried at different angles but i set up the shot with a piece of glass on top of the weive so i could lay the coins flat but taken at an angle gave an odd look so back as you say to the first one i took...Sort of lol

Surprising how much kit i used to get the shot :)

HI Kev & welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Good idea for the theme....once I'd got my head round the arrangement of the outer coins my OCD stopped screaming at me to have them all facing the same way :D Focus looks good& I like the contrast twixt metal & wood....but I think it could do with a slight lift in exposure to help bring out the detail in the coins (y)

Great start Kev. Took me back to my opening shot from 2014.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Hello, Happy New Year, and :welcome: Interesting first shot and I love the fact you've kept it landscape. Lots of patterns in there so you've definitely met the brief :)

Interesting practice submission. I like how the natural textures of the mat contrast with the metallic colour of the coins. Looks a little bit under exposed.

Good start and welcome.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback.
Tried to lift it a bit but the wood started to blow in my opinion so i left it although it did make the coins stand out better.
Practise i think lol

Great start, well on theme, one thing I will say is it looks a little soft, that could be down to me viewing on an iPad though. I look forward to seeing more from you.
John

Welcome aboard Kev.
Good to have you here and I hope you enjoy!

Really nice start to the project.
I like the contrast between the warm, natural mat in the background and the cold, hard circles of the coins.
The coin in the centre really grabs you and draws you in and the directional lighting from the top helps make the most of the faces of the coins.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in week 1.

welcome Kev

nicely done ... circles and squares.

Oooo I was going to say shame the perimiter coins were not lined up all the same, then I noticed you had them all placed perfectly pointing inwards :D

As for 'patterns' yeah that works, well lit shot too, and the woven background is a feature in it's self - Good Start (y)

Welcome to 2015 52s Kev. A nice shot to start with - lighting's something I always struggle with and I think you've done well to get enough light on the coins to bring out the details without any nasty unwanted reflections!

With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Fab composition - I love the patterns on patterns. Two minor tweaks - increase the 'clarity' slider for a touch more punch and polish the coins before shooting!

Back