weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

So leaving it to the last minute, i dragged the wife out of her comfy recliner armchair during lunch break and made her stand outside in the grey, damp and misty weather we've had for the last 3 days with a cup of coffee.
I really wanted steam to be rising from the cup but i think the moisture laden air wasn't helping and it's not particularly cold either.

Also really annoyed i didn't notice the glove on the rhs was a bit turned out and showing the red liner. I was hoping for it to be a bit more symmetrical. That where i fail sometime, rushing and not looking around the viewfinder to make sure all is as i envision it in my head.

IMG_0058 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm the same when in comes to not examining the viewfinder. I suppose the vibrant pink of the lining does draw the eye a bit but I so like the composition and those lovely colour combinations especially the bright green cup against the blue gilet.

It's a good image for the theme, looks snug and warm although it's a bit early in the year for dragging the other half into it, you might regret it later :D

A good image .. load of colour including the red lining ... just great. Focus is hot too (y)

Wonderful. Glove doesn't bother me.

Nice and bright, fills the frame and nice POV.

Only thing I can think to improve is maybe a slight vignette.

Cheers.

Agree with all of the above. Lovely colours and nice and sharp. I'm a sucker for a vignette too.

Thanks for all the positive comments i really appreciate them.
I had thought about a bit of vignetting but thought I would lose some of the vibrancy. I'll go back to it tomorrow and have a little play.

I think like you, I would have wanted a bit more symmetry (I ended cropping my photo this week so close because the same thing happened with the hood of my coat) but the image is an absolute beauty as it is. Colours, dof and the reflections of the fingers in the cup make it for me :)

Great photo, vibrant colours, good focus and DoF. And I'm a huge fan of vignetting, so +1 in favour of adding a vignette.

I think food photographers use tricks to capture a steaming cup of coffee, it's not the coffee that's steaming.

I think food photographers use tricks to capture a steaming cup of coffee, it's not the coffee that's steaming.
I did a bit of research on taking photos of steaming hot drinks before taking this. It didn't sound too complicated. You need to use light from behind (or through) the steam to help make it visible. I couldn't really do this with this shot as the cup was close to the body and I'm not proficient enough to photoshop it in.
Thanks for taking the time to comment and for your feed back :)

This really fits the theme and I like the fact it's not quite symmetrical. I love the colours.The red lining doesn't detract from it for me. Steam would have been a nice bonus :)

Yeah, you're right, it's rubbish!!!

Only kidding, you're being far to hard on yourself.
Whilst you wanted the glove symmetrical, having them different actually makes it more lifelike.
I'm not sure steam would have improved the shot really, and I love the different colours.

The steam sounds quite tricky to do, looks very comforting but as it is currently framed I'd like to see a little more symmetry with the hands. (y)

very good indeed i like the close crop but then i would say that

Good choice for the theme Dominic - excellent focus on Cullen's quiff (?). Like the crop and the b&w.

That's one hairy horse! Like the tight crop and the B&W conversion.

Thanks for all of the positive comments again.
I have many, many hairy horse photos to pick from. I went for this one just because i like it.
But this one was also in the running

_MG_2049 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

As already mentioned, those eyelashes are amazing just a shame we can't see more of the eye. Very hairy. (y)

Love the bright colours and the composition in the comfort pic

The horses eyelashes are soo long but I prefer the lovely textures in the second picture :D

Well I'm unsure about the horse .... o_O

But I do like the simplicity of the second one.

Comfort - a nice bright image for the theme, I like it. As you say it would be nice, if you could have a bit of steam from the cup and the inside of the glove wasn't showing.

Hairy - a good couple of images to choose from and i'm biased on horse pics as I love my horses. Works for the theme, love the angle of the first image.

Song title: There is really nice detail in the blacks. Beautiful dog.
Order: I prefer the second version. It feels like there is more "breathing room". The black background really works well in this.
Hairy: The first (horse) photo is nice and fits the theme - I never knew horses have such long eyelashes! The detail and texture in the second photo are winners for me.

Last edited:
Comfort - that's a fantastic shot, love the colours. Shame about the steam, would have topped it off but it's still a great photo.

Hairy - didn't know that horses had such long eyelashes...I like the choice of B&W.

What you need is a goto shoehorn ;)

For not having any inspiration what you've produced is a really nice shot.
Loving the blues, the textures and lighting.
(y)
Thanks for the kind words.

Good bit of cobbling I'd say. Like the patterns in those stones and setting them in rough sand, contrasts well to give a sense of their Smoothness. Quite like the spotlight effect too.

Back