weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

Interesting pattern on the cobbles and I like the 'long' shadows. Seems like you didn't suffer too bad from reflections like I did.

I like the photo, the sand contrasts well with the smooth pebbles, and the extreme vignetting gives a nice spotlight effect.

An extraordinary image ... that light really brings it alive. :clap:

An extraordinary image ... that light really brings it alive. :clap:
Thank you.
I did think i had maybe gone a bit too far with the isolation and lighting, but the general consensus is that it works well. So I'm a :) bunny.

Lighting is great on those stones and the contrast of colours works really well. Great shot for something 'cobbled together'. I'd be very proud of that one :clap:And I should know as that is how I get most of my shots :D.

I'm the Queen of cobblers :p

Mineral
I've felt more like a geologist this week than a gardener. I've done much research as to what is and what isn't a mineral, confusing myself sometimes with all the geology jargon.
Although there are minerals everywhere, trying to get a different take on it was the tricky part. So this is what i've come up with, Blush/Rouge (although i thought it was called blusher), it's made mainly from Talc and coloured with other minerals such as Ochre.

IMG_0533 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Brilliant thinking Dominic. Like the composition and that deep red of the blusher (?) works really well against the dark bg. Nicely lit too.

Nice job ... decadent ... and I think the light falls perfectly. :clap:

The lighting and focus are spot on, excellent composition, love the way the power leads the eye in, very well done indeed.

Really nice tale on the theme, this. As above, nice detail, colour and lighting. The powder is almost reflective of the light and draws you into the shot. Well done :)

Great take on the theme, love the shallow depth of field on the brush. Did it take more than one attempt to get the right amount of blusher on the counter?

The blusher on the counter was quite easy really, it was getting the lighting and dof right that took the time. It was taken in the en suite, where there are two different types of light (fluorescent and halogen) and no natural light. So i had to use the flash to kill some of the ambient light.

Last edited:
That's a great shot, I like the lighting, the colours and the DoF! (y)

Nice choice of stones for smooth, lovely colours and the vignetting works too.

Mineral looks a tricky shot to set up, lots of nice detail in the brush.

(y)

Interesting selection Dominic. all fit the theme of course but I think I'm favouring a reverse order i.e. #3 best because the whole meal is in evidence and the warm colour and texture are excellent with #2 second because I like the melting butter mid and top left.

Interesting selection Dominic. all fit the theme of course but I think I'm favouring a reverse order i.e. #3 best because the whole meal is in evidence and the warm colour and texture are excellent with #2 second because I like the melting butter mid and top left.
Thanks for your comments. The problem i have with the 3rd image is, there's not enough in focus really. I like the concept of #3 and it probably would have been my pick if it had technically been better.

I would crop #1, but it's already a large crop and i don't think it will take much more, before it starts to lose even more detail.

#3 for me, but much more tightly cropped.

Mineral shot is great. love the lighting and the way the powder is sprayed over the foreground :)

I prefer the pic of the toast on the plate and the knife. Makes me want to tuck in :)

Hi Dominic,
Mineral - Well, that's not a obvious subject for the theme, so well played.
I like the image, with the lighting more on the powder, but the focus more on the brush, I think that works to add interest into the shot :)
Whole - I'm going to plump for #3 due to the additional context you've included in the shot.

I'm a bit behind this week, lack of time and motivation. I just haven't felt like taking photos for some reason. Oh well back to it now and feeling a bit more motivated.
After think about what sort of building structures i could take photos of, i decided to try something a bit different.

IMG_0942 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Also in B/W (but not to sure it works very well)

4 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And this is what it actually is. I had to stand on top of the gate pillars to be able to look straight down on it. Twas a bit tricky trying to focus with me wobbling about.

IMG_0943 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Structure is a good clean shot, thought it was some metal flower till I saw the last shot, good thinking and taken shot.
To be fair, it is a sort of metal flower, it's a metal Artichoke. There are four of them in this courtyard, one on each of the gate pillars.
I just took one off and put it on the metal table.

Back