OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Thats a lovely couple of cameras, very nice indeed.

I got a 150mm Sironar N lens and a magnifying finder for my C330 for Christmas :).

A bit of a wait and a considerable search to find the Elmar 135mm F/4 that I've been wanting at a price that I could afford but finally found one in Germany.

DHL did their bit and got it to me today:):):)

It's nearly as big as the M4 body lol, though surprisingly larger than the 90mm F/4, it only weighs 110 grams more;)

Please excuse the p&s high noise/iso pic

IMG_0004.JPG

I think I must of been a good boy this year had this lovely plate camera off my mom and dad and the brass stereo camera off my brother View attachment 92345View attachment 92346View attachment 92347

That is a beautiful Tailboard Camera ....It looks to me like it's probably whole plate as it resembles the Marion ( see pic below) that i have which , with the company name and address, dates it between 1867 and 1901

If it is then once a year, Ilford take orders (usually about April time I think) for obscure sheet film sizes including whole plate.

It's not cheap, but if you want to shoot with the camera, without using adapters to shoot smaller format film then that is the way to go.

Marion & Co Whole plate c1867 - 1901.jpg

Treated myself to an early birthday present - Nikon F3. Just arrived so have abandoned today's 'to-do' list!
Good call on the F3 and the abandoned 'to do' list!

Minolta Autometer IIIf was 'delivered' but I was still in bed. The door bell does ring but apparently they didn't use it, or knock on the door.

So I have to go to the depot a few miles away when it opens next year...

Minolta Autometer IIIf was 'delivered' but I was still in bed. The door bell does ring but apparently they didn't use it, or knock on the door.

So I have to go to the depot a few miles away when it opens next year...

Bummer..

Got given a bag of kodak gold 200 last night. Expired in 1994 but I'm hoping that it has been stored well enough that it develops ok.

Hopefully it will be fine.

I've found seven rolls of 35mm FP4 Plus in a bag when I was clearing out my shed. It was in the canisters only so can't date it. No idea how or when it got there but I plan to give it a go.

I'd propose shooting it at 50 asa

Even if it was fresh stock, colour negative film can easily handle a couple of stops over exposure

IMG_1483294485.168874.jpg

Started studying an MA In photography in October and really want to get back to basics - so treated myself to this this Xmas and am so excited! Got the manual control too so it's not just aperture priority - Developed my first roll of film and it all works just got to get used to manual focussing :)

I'm looking at getting a new lens for my Nikon F3, narrowed it down to the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.4. Anyone got any experience with either of these/is the 1.4 worth the price difference? Thanks

I'm looking at getting a new lens for my Nikon F3, narrowed it down to the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.4. Anyone got any experience with either of these/is the 1.4 worth the price difference? Thanks

IMO only if you want a slightly brighter view in the viewfinder or that extra bit of exposure in low light...the Nikkor 50 f1.8 is one of the best lenses Nikon ever produced...well this guy thinks so http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html http://www.naturfotograf.com/bestof.html

IMO only if you want a slightly brighter view in the viewfinder or that extra bit of exposure in low light...the Nikkor 50 f1.8 is one of the best lenses Nikon ever produced...well this guy thinks so http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html http://www.naturfotograf.com/bestof.html

Thanks! He certainly does love the f1.8 eh ;) Think I'll go for that one in that case. Was almost swayed by the 1.4 but I don't imagine I'll be doing much low light shooting with it.

Could be new member to this Film Photography malarky?

An old boy at my work place has a Mamiya ZE-2 that he's kindly let me borrow to load up some film and try it out. He's already told me how much he wants for it....which is bang on for the money for me any way. Was pretty grubby from use and the fact that it's coming up for 36 years old. Cleaned up a treat after a couple of hours of graft with a toothbrush and some baby wipes!! If i don't decide to buy it, he'll end up with a nice clean camera back.....hahaha.

Already used a roll of AGFA Vista 200, pretty cheap of eBay, one more roll to use and then I'll get them developed and see how they turn out. Love the feel of the camera though, feels sturdy and reliable.

Mamiya ZE-2 by Craig Jenkins, on Flickr

Cheers Craig.

Looking good there Craig. Welcome to the best part of F&C :0). The fact you've cleaned up the camera already tells me you're not planning on handing it back....it's a slippery slope ;0)

Look forward to seeing your results.

Cheers, steve

Looking good there Craig. Welcome to the best part of F&C :0). The fact you've cleaned up the camera already tells me you're not planning on handing it back....it's a slippery slope ;0)

Look forward to seeing your results.

Cheers, steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the warm welcome. Your right about the not wanting to hand it back.......hahaha. I've already been looking for a nice strap and fancy putting on a soft release shutter button, just to put my own little stamp on it. So long as I get half decent quality images from it, it'll be a keeper. First time for me manual focusing too, not sure if I got it right! I guess I soon find out though when films are developed.

The bit I found funny was after taking photos with the camera, my kids wanted to have a look at the photos on the screen on the back of the camera......much to my amusement and there confusion! Hahahaha.

h'mm cheaper than Poundland for £1...of course if you haven't got one anywhere near you then you have no choice.....enjoy shooting and Vista will surprise you for results from a cheap film. I see filmdev are showing shots from Vista http://www.filmdev.co.uk/?p=1859

Nope, definateley not Poundland cheap! I've no problem spending the money on quality film eventually........but for a test the AGFA vista will do. Something else that was an eye opener for me, being a digital camera shooter........how quick it was to blitz 24 exposures.

Cheers Craig.

Thanks! He certainly does love the f1.8 eh ;) Think I'll go for that one in that case. Was almost swayed by the 1.4 but I don't imagine I'll be doing much low light shooting with it.

Some guys like f1.4 and F1.2 for Portraiture (esp face) where if you can get the eyes sharp in the centre everything else is OOF and would give a dreamy look. I asked one guy using a F1.2 on a face shot how he actually got the eyes sharp (focussing)..well he was cheating using the lens on a digi camera o_O so take 50 shots and there must be a good one amongst them :rolleyes:

Not sure if you realise what Brian was referring to, but Poundland sell the same Agfa Vista 200 for a pound per roll if you've got any in your local shop.

Yeah I understood what Brian meant Steve, cheers (y). I'll check out my local poundland to see if they have it. What I meant was, I didn't want to spend a great deal on film just yet, but I did pay more than a £1 a roll for it.

Firstly I haven't ever used a film camera before, I've always used digital and not too sure if its for me. Also I'm not sure how good the images will be with my lack of experience with a film camera, but I'm looking forward to giving it a good go.

Cheers Craig.

Nope, definateley not Poundland cheap! I've no problem spending the money on quality film eventually

Well with film cameras and film it's horses for courses......e.g. taking scenery or portraiture then guys here would recommend Portra or Ektar, but why not use Vista for other subjects e.g. street shooting or dull days ...IMO Vista seems to be very good at reds but less for greens and I was quite happy to use Vista for the firework display (h'mm well I might change my mind when I see the results :D )

Thanks Brian, I'm planning on doing some street/urban style photography this weekend and have 1 roll of AGFA left, so I'll use it for that. I've also purchased a Fuji X100T, so I'm planning on using that too at the weekend also.

Nikon standard lenses are all pretty good, I have quite a few! The 50mm f1.8 versions are better than the earlier F2 versions in my opinion. There is something really nice about the 50 f1.4 AI and AIS though, slightly bigger and heavier than the f1.8 but hard to justify the difference, that said I do prefer the images from the 50 f1.4, particularly its bokeh. If you can find one at a sensible price, it will hold its value. Hope this helps

26151694144_6f9d317cb1_b.jpg

Nikon 50 f1.8 @ f4

19399615069_2f07fffc01_b.jpg

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIS @ f1.4

Nikon standard lenses are all pretty good, I have quite a few! The 50mm f1.8 versions are better than the earlier F2 versions in my opinion. There is something really nice about the 50 f1.4 AI and AIS though, slightly bigger and heavier than the f1.8 but hard to justify the difference, that said I do prefer the images from the 50 f1.4, particularly its bokeh. If you can find one at a sensible price, it will hold its value. Hope this helps

26151694144_6f9d317cb1_b.jpg

Nikon 50 f1.8 @ f4

19399615069_2f07fffc01_b.jpg

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIS @ f1.4

Oh dammit, I've gone and bought the 1.8 now... I'll see how it goes and maybe consider changing to 1.4 at a later date (or buying it in addition ;) ). Thanks very much for your help though - beautiful images, I hope I'll be able to get some similar!

Reactions: Jao
Oh dammit, I've gone and bought the 1.8 now... I'll see how it goes and maybe consider changing to 1.4 at a later date (or buying it in addition ;) ). Thanks very much for your help though - beautiful images, I hope I'll be able to get some similar!

Kate the f1.8 will be excellent I am sure. Also, this film malarky is addictive and a slippery slope, you will need lots of lenses for all the cameras you will probably buy!

Kate the f1.8 will be excellent I am sure. Also, this film malarky is addictive and a slippery slope, you will need lots of lenses for all the cameras you will probably buy!

Oh I have already got a little collection coming along quite nicely ;) but I completely agree, v slippery slope that I've certainly not come to the end of just yet! Hopefully the F3 will keep me busy for a little while though!

Reactions: Jao

....and remember using a film camera you don't have to buy Nikon, Olympus etc lenses as there are some well known 3rd party cheaper lenses that are very good, and you might say "wait a minute aren't Nikon etc the best? " Well you'd have a point but how do you prove it as a drum scan is expensive to see if there is any difference (checking with a large crop) or you could go to a digi site where they test old lenses with high Mpx cameraso_O
But as there are no stats out for lens rejects and in considering buying 3rd party lenses, I would assume the quality control at Nikon, Canon etc would be better and there would be less chance of getting a wrong-en
Just to add:- if your hobby is just architecture then you would have to pay for the best lenses with least distortion or be able to correct distortion, e.g tilt\shift lenses but they ain't cheap.

Finished with the charger? :whistle:

As it happens, the f1.8 that I ordered arrived with a chip in the lens that hadn't been mentioned. So, after returning it, I came across this little beauty, in perfect condition for a reasonable price and couldn't resist! Since I couldn't find any other 1.8s in a good enough condition I took it as a sign and treated myself (again!).

IMG_1483966725.130202.jpg

Last edited:
As it happens, the f1.8 that I ordered arrived with a chip in the lens that hadn't been mentioned. So, after returning it, I came across this little beauty, in perfect condition for a reasonable price and couldn't resist! Since I couldn't find any other 1.8s in a good enough condition I took it as a sign and treated myself (again!).

View attachment 93289

Congrats..I have two Minolta f1.4s, a Hexanon f1.4 and Canon f1.4 and yet to use any wide open :rolleyes:

Congrats..I have two Minolta f1.4s, a Hexanon f1.4 and Canon f1.4 and yet to use any wide open :rolleyes:

Yeah to be honest I need to have a good play around to get used to it, from the research I've done I love the bokeh on this lens though ;)

Well here is the camera that i intend to make to make my début into film with. Hopefully I will be able to upload the pictures rather than having to link them.

F601.jpg

F601a.jpg

Ordered this from Ffordes on Friday afternoon about 3.30 pm - arrived Saturday at 11.00am!! Wasn't expecting it until Tuesday.
I have ordered a battery, just got to get some film to push through it.
Hopefully the lenses I have for the D70s will be ok with this.

PS. apologies for blurry pics - taken with my crummy phone.

View attachment 93289

Good choice, you won't regret it, there is something very special about the Nikkor 50mm f1.4, especially at f1.4! Look forward to seeing your images with it.

Back