OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

OK so I couldn't resist :D

Zenzanon 40mm MC with hood and case:):):)

The photo makes the inside of the lens hood look awful but although it is used, it is actually not anything like that in condition;

As for the lens itself, it is in excellent condition and the glass is spotless ;):)

DSCF3022.JPG

Last edited:
I've finally (and this is your fault @Solo man ) gotten a folder... got a little voigtlander bessa, max shutter speed 1/75, widest aperture 6.3... I'm off to dawlish tomorrow, so I'm gonna give it a bit of a bash down there.

I somehow seem to have acquired a Nikon FE in mint condition, along with a 35mm Nikon Series E prime lens. How the heck did that happen? IMG_1484941004.597681.jpg.

Then, last night at work, our picture editor asked me if I wanted a carrier bag full of old gear that one of the retiring snappers had left, including a Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8G AF-S VR lens! I nearly bit his hand off!

Got the big one this week...

IMG_0283 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

I think it's going to get quite a bit of use! Blasted through one roll already. 16 shots is quite a good number.

You'll love the results Suz. The GA645 I had easily delivered the sharpest results I've had from analogue camera. It was only the point and shoot nature of the camera that eventually led to me selling it but I miss the negatives!

You'll love the results Suz. The GA645 I had easily delivered the sharpest results I've had from analogue camera. It was only the point and shoot nature of the camera that eventually led to me selling it but I miss the negatives!

I like the point and shoot aspect. I'm fundamentally lazy :) Rest of my film turned up today which is fortunate!

All we need now is some nice sunny weather so we can play outside with our new toys. This dull, drizzly, raw weather we keep getting round here at the moment is no use at all. :(

Got the big one this week...

IMG_0283 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

I think it's going to get quite a bit of use! Blasted through one roll already. 16 shots is quite a good number.
That's good going already! Look out for the exposure info at the edge of the frame - it's a nice little touch! I saw your other comment about the mode button and needing to press the second button. I agree that it's a pain - it's probably the only thing I didn't like about the camera as it made it a bit awkward for grabbing and taking a snapshot.

All we need now is some nice sunny weather so we can play outside with our new toys. This dull, drizzly, raw weather we keep getting round here at the moment is no use at all. :(

Tell me about it :( First sunny day yesterday so I was out like a greased weasel.

Last edited:
That's good going already! Look out for the exposure info at the edge of the frame - it's a nice little touch! I saw your other comment about the mode button and needing to press the second button. I agree that it's a pain - it's probably the only thing I didn't like about the camera as it made it a bit awkward for grabbing and taking a snapshot.

I noticed that. Very useful. And it also tells you what distance it's chosen for focussing too. I set it on P mode as I realised when outside in full sunshine with a shallow DOF it would probably exceed the 1/500th shutter speed.
Got 2 rolls of portra that are out of date so they're up next :)

Tell me about it :( First sunny day yesterday so I was out like a greased weasel.

I was stuck indoors all day and missed it! I've just had a look at the forecast and there's talk of some sunny intervals tomorrow, so get practicing your weasel impersonations just in case! :)

I noticed that. Very useful. And it also tells you what distance it's chosen for focussing too. I set it on P mode as I realised when outside in full sunshine with a shallow DOF it would probably exceed the 1/500th shutter speed.
I was slightly unclear - it also prints it on the edge of the negative frame! Can be handy when looking at a nice image and wanting to remember what you did!

The GA645 doesn't offer a 1/500 shutter speed, I don't think. At larger apertures, it goes up to 1/400. At smaller apertures—smaller than f/9, I think—the maximum speed is 1/700.

Well, I guess it's possible that it could offer 1/500 as a step between 1/400 and 1/700 at smaller apertures, but I no longer have one to test this out.

I meant 1/400th I think. I just knew it was lower than I have available with my SLR :)

I have a foolproof method for assessing what focal length lens I'll need for any given shot on 35mm

I have yet to master a method for MF, made more complicated with havin 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9

As for 4x5 LF, I've usually had an unexposed but fixed, thus clear sheet of film or a cardboard cutout of 4x5 inches which when held to the eye at diffences distances, resembles close to what any given lens will offer on FoV

Whilst out wandering the streets for inspiration this morning with my cardboard cut out (prior to lugging all the gear about), I was seen by a neighbour who, upon understanding what I was doing, has just turned up at my door with a lightweight but more substantial framing / composing device .....OK so it's a bit rough and ready but I think it's pretty smart tbh>

Orders can be taken for anyone interested!:)

IMG0013A.jpg

Last edited:
I have a foolproof method for assessing what focal length lens I'll need for any given shot on 35mm

A zoom is handy ;) How do you adjust the frame for different 35mm lenses other than taking different cut outs?

A zoom is handy ;) How do you adjust the frame for different 35mm lenses other than taking different cut outs?
The cut out simply relates to the dimensions of the negative 4x5, 6x6, 24 x 36mm ( or whatever a £%mm frame is) etc etc

With 4x5 format, holding the cut out at the same distance from the eye as the lens focal length, ie 90mm, 150mm etc will give a very good representation of what that focal length will capture on the GG based on infinity although it works ok for shorter distances too.

As for 35mm, I have a completely different method for working out which prime lens to use ( Zooms have a place and can be practical but I prefer fixed focal lengths, hence why all my lenses in every format, except the digital XE1 t are primes except one Nikon), which I'll attempt to type up later.

I have heard it suggested that you attach a piece of string (easy with Asha's de luxe framer) with knots at the distance appropriate to each focal length. You then use the knotted string to adjust the distance.

As for 35mm, I have a completely different method for working out which prime lens to use, which I'll attempt to type up later
I don't take credit for this as I came across it on the internet somewhere, may have even been on here.
Formula :
Distance / Width X 36

Distance...... to your subject

Divided by

Width....... of subject ( the actual width of the scene that you wish to capture)

Multiplied by

36 ( width (mm) of a full frame negative)

This formula always works with cropped sensors by changing the 36 full frame negative for the crop factor

Last edited:
Which would I look dafter using..

a. a plywood bat with a square hole in it
b. blake 7's shaver, the canon T70
c. a bobble hat mounted flash cube tree

answers on a postcard.......:)

If ever you're given a multiple choice question where the the Canon T70 is the obvious worst option then you are duty bound to tick that box.

Won a Nikon L35AF yesterday so quite looking forward to having a play with that!

I had to look the T70 up again to remind myself how ugly it is. Truly, an offense to the eyes.

Well, here are a few old folders with the elegant lines of a forgotten era to soothe your eyes:

Left to right: Voigtlander Perkeo, Voigtlander Bessa I, Ensign Selfix 820, Ensign Midget, Agfa Standard (116 film), Ensign Selfix 820, Kodak Autographic, Voigtlander Bessa.

Not exactly 'new toys' as I've had some of them since I was a teenager but the weather was rubbish here at the weekend so I decided to take a photo of my folding cameras to try my Christmas pressie tripod out (and because I was getting photography withdrawal symptoms!). Trouble was by the time I'd got round to it I was losing what dull daylight was available so had to use fill-in flash and electric light too, hence the rather warm colour... however, I think this 'sepia' tone adds to the nostalgic feel the cameras give? I tried changing the colour balance but didn't think the shot looked as nice somehow.

Now if we can just have a few sunny days instead of dull, flat light and drizzle, I might be able to run some film through some of them again! :(

I had to look the T70 up again to remind myself how ugly it is. Truly, an offense to the eyes.

:D

You should really judge a camera on handling, advanced metering, can use safety shift if you have the exposure wrong etc etc...and a member couldn't use his right hand properly and out of all my cameras the T70 was the easiest using your left hand.
Anway I have about fourteen 35mm cameras to choose from ( and do use them all) and wouldn't use the T70 if it was crap and my two T70s would have gone in the bin years ago.

Back