OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Couldn't resist the call of an M6 any longer! Been wanting once since about 1985 :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 257184

AGH! I am sooo envious.
I want either an M6 or an MP and turned one down recently as you know. I sold my goggled 35mm for the M3 so have no 35mm focal length now. I also sold the Nikon F3/T, the 35Ti and a few other bits. Felt nice to have a clear out but I still want an M6/MP for a 35mm lens.

As for the F5, get it used man! That's what it's for. As Asha says, it doesn't mean abuse or damage, but definitely get some rolls through it. I remember Jay Kay from Jamiroquai saying about these "fools who hide them away" when referring to the owners of classic cars which are meant to be driven and enjoyed. In fact, I remember having a chat on here to Brian when he was saying about only taking cheap cameras abroad and how he would leave the Leica, etc at home for risk of damage or theft or whatever. I took the Xpan and M3 around Vietnam for 3 weeks recently and am so glad I did.

AGH! I am sooo envious.
I want either an M6 or an MP and turned one down recently as you know. I sold my goggled 35mm for the M3 so have no 35mm focal length now. I also sold the Nikon F3/T, the 35Ti and a few other bits. Felt nice to have a clear out but I still want an M6/MP for a 35mm lens.

As for the F5, get it used man! That's what it's for. As Asha says, it doesn't mean abuse or damage, but definitely get some rolls through it. I remember Jay Kay from Jamiroquai saying about these "fools who hide them away" when referring to the owners of classic cars which are meant to be driven and enjoyed. In fact, I remember having a chat on here to Brian when he was saying about only taking cheap cameras abroad and how he would leave the Leica, etc at home for risk of damage or theft or whatever. I took the Xpan and M3 around Vietnam for 3 weeks recently and am so glad I did.

Well Gareth (or anybody) should think again about taking an expensive camera on a sandy beach with grand children in a dry place like Ibiza..the place we stayed near the beach had a very fine dust everywhere and in between taking shots I had to park the camera well wrapped up in bag near the deck chairs ...and once was walking along the beach one day, with the camera around my neck, and some idiot in the water returned a beach ball to a person near me and I and the camera got splashed with water. :eek: So I always took two Canon T70's on these sort of holidays.

Well Gareth (or anybody) should think again about taking an expensive camera on a sandy beach with grand children in a dry place like Ibiza..the place we stayed near the beach had a very fine dust everywhere and in between taking shots I had to park the camera well wrapped up in bag near the deck chairs ...and once was walking along the beach one day, with the camera around my neck, and some idiot in the water returned a beach ball to a person near me and I and the camera got splashed with water. :eek: So I always took two Canon T70's on these sort of holidays.

and then perhaps we should all should pause and think before removing any camera kit from a cupboard/ bag etc at home.
Think of the huge risk of dropping and breaking.
I do wonder now how on earth I’m going to ever enjoy my photography again, daring not to man handle any kit!

The only thinking I do is which camera to take, be it medium format or 35mm.
Yes, if it got broken beyond repair, I would be a bit gutted, however I have been to Iceland, Vietnam, Portugal, the Scottish Highland and Outer Hebrides, driven through California and hiked snowy mountains in Bulgaria with a combination of Leica, Xpan, 500cm, Pentax 67ii, Contax 645 and Polaroid. I have images that I love, some that I don't and no regrets. I had glacial water from the ice cave land inside the 500cm. Works fine. I have been on beaches in very strong winds with the above cameras, works fine. I was on the streets of Ho Chi Minh city at night when it was jam packed. Nothing got stolen. And you know what, if it did, life goes on.

and then perhaps we should all should pause and think before removing any camera kit from a cupboard/ bag etc at home.
Think of the huge risk of dropping and breaking.
I do wonder now how on earth I’m going to ever enjoy my photography again, daring not to man handle any kit!

It's all about reducing the odds of ruining\losing\dropping your gear, taking out insurance would cover a lot of things but can you get insurance for getting sand in your camera?

Excellent!
Don’t forget to allow exposure compensation for bellows extension if you’re racking out longer than the lens focal length!

Good shout, plus foma's comedy reciprocity I'll just set up my shot and go for a run!

The only thinking I do is which camera to take, be it medium format or 35mm.
Yes, if it got broken beyond repair, I would be a bit gutted, however I have been to Iceland, Vietnam, Portugal, the Scottish Highland and Outer Hebrides, driven through California and hiked snowy mountains in Bulgaria with a combination of Leica, Xpan, 500cm, Pentax 67ii, Contax 645 and Polaroid. I have images that I love, some that I don't and no regrets. I had glacial water from the ice cave land inside the 500cm. Works fine. I have been on beaches in very strong winds with the above cameras, works fine. I was on the streets of Ho Chi Minh city at night when it was jam packed. Nothing got stolen. And you know what, if it did, life goes on.

Well I'm thinking of 35mm cameras and cheap alternatives for dodgy places..of course if you want to use MF or LF there is not much choice (for a cheap alternative).
But you would have to be quite "brave" to take an expensive camera in some areas of cities for street shots.

It's all about reducing the odds of ruining\losing\dropping your gear, taking out insurance would cover a lot of things but can you get insurance for getting sand in your camera?

Replacement gear would at least give us a new toy to show in here and keep the thread on track..... there again dare we gamble against the odds of having our new toy damaged en route to us.
Time to sell up and sit around waiting for god so as to reduce all risks of life to as near zero as possible! Ffs

Replacement gear would at least give us a new toy to show in here and keep the thread on track..... there again dare we gamble against the odds of having our new toy damaged en route to us.
Time to sell up and sit around waiting for god so as to reduce all risks of life to as near zero as possible! Ffs

Well side tracking just once, life is about luck and trying to reduce odds of something happening to you or what you own from the risks of eating junk food, traveling to disease ridden countries or even motorcycling etc etc and if you want to store cameras in a damp place or use them on sandy beaches...that's everyone's choice.

Well side tracking just once, life is about luck and trying to reduce odds of something happening to you or what you own from the risks of eating junk food, traveling to disease ridden countries or even motorcycling etc etc and if you want to store cameras in a damp place or use them on sandy beaches...that's everyone's choice.

Yes I agree it’s a choice...... mine is to live and enjoy best I can what is available to me including camera kit.

Just something to consider though is how many people particularly later in life have regrets of not doing something or not using cameras for example) when they had opportunity ( better health, kit that hadn’t seized up / deteriorated due to lack of use etc)!

Yes I agree it’s a choice...... mine is to live and enjoy best I can what is available to me including camera kit.

Just something to consider though is how many people particularly later in life have regrets of not doing something or not using cameras for example) when they had opportunity ( better health, kit that hadn’t seized up / deteriorated due to lack of use etc)!

H'mm well maybe if digi wasn't invented film cameras would still be used and not put in cupboards to "seize" up.

Unless they're expensive and the area they are to be used in has greater than zero risk?

I put a small dent in the prism of my OM2 in the 80s by a trip* in the Cairngorms. A pity, but the photos I got from using it still seem more important than the cosmetic damage it suffered.

* Ambiguous English word, to be construed as "fall" rather than "visit to the locality of".

I put a small dent in the prism of my OM2 in the 80s by a trip* in the Cairngorms. A pity, but the photos I got from using it still seem more important than the cosmetic damage it suffered.

You'd be more upset if it was an expensive Leica..anyway just my opinion on using expensive 35mm film cameras in dodgy places. Can you see the difference in an image\photo between an expensive Leica and a Canon T70 with Canon lenses or cheap Minolta camera with Minolta lenses and so on. Some of Fishyfish's shots on his cheap compact camera would fool the Leica forum if pretending the shot was taken with a Leica.
But if you have the money and want a certain expensive camera then I always say when you are ready to push up daisies your last words shouldn't be " I wish I had bought a Leica or whatever". ;)

Last edited:
I don't think I would have been. And, at least to me, the £280 I paid for the OM2 made it expensive to me back in 1977.

Well it was a heavy pat in a hard place :)

And when the camera is sold the story could go from a trip while on holiday in Scotland to a deflected bullet in Cambodia. :cool: :whistle:

Only joking, I hate faked history on anything.

Last edited:
Snip:
You'd be more upset if it was an expensive Leica..anyway just my opinion on using expensive 35mm film cameras in dodgy places. Can you see the difference in an image\photo between an expensive Leica and a Canon T70 with Canon lenses or cheap Minolta camera with Minolta lenses and so on.
That's a point, you'd probably be safe with a T70, as I suspect nothing really wants to come into contact with one of those! ;) :giggle:

I’m somewhere in the middle, while I am careful with gear I’ll certainly not shy away from using it, doing so recklessly isn’t something I do (ie using non weatherproof cameras in a downpour but you get my drift) Using a camera and abusing it are 2 very different things :D

I tend to use a camera that is quite expensive but certainly doesn’t look it so I don’t know if that helps me using it in dodgy areas, not that I hang around in sketchy places of course :LOL:

Using a £6-700,early 90s, fully electronic camera that isn’t able to be repaired is about as daring as I get :eek:

Last edited:
I tend to use a camera that is quite expensive but certainly doesn’t look it so I don’t know if that helps me using it in dodgy areas

Well looking at some camera insurance companies you are covered in the UK and most countries in the world as long as there isn’t a travel advisory against the country you’re visiting. But think of money, over the years, I'm saving by not getting my T70 insured :LOL:

Well looking at some camera insurance companies you are covered in the UK and most countries in the world as long as there isn’t a travel advisory against the country you’re visiting. But think of money, over the years, I'm saving by not getting my T70 insured :LOL:

True! Although I don’t maintain camera insurance since I stopped shooting professionally and drastically lowered my amount of kit, but do have my cameras covered under house insurance. My digital camera is worth a little more than my Contax so it’s worth insuring that, plus phones etc!

I always say when you are ready to push up daisies your last words shouldn't be " I wish I had bought a Leica or whatever". ;)

Which is a good thinking process imo, however would then lying on your death bed saying "I wish I'd got round to using that Leica which took me decades to acquire" not make you feel quite upset that the opportunity was never going to come around again ( or at not in this life).

I have four, very nice, and very different in what they have to offer technical wise, LF outfits, and soon , possibly, probably to acquire another ( and they ALL get used!)
Not because I need that many, nor that realistically i can afford them without having to make some severe allowances elsewhere in my life BUT, because these opportunities often pass by us only once and I personally wish to enjoy if at all possible
Waiting for another day is inutile if that kit that you really wish to try doesn't come available again or if you fall ill and unable to use it in several years time.

Naturally I talk of photo kit but the attitude can relate to any aspect of anyones life.

Everyone has individual choice and quite rightly so.
Everyone falls on opportunities that could be wonderful
Some people snap them up, embrace them and enjoy them.
Some people pass them by.
MANY people have regrets.....Why let yourself be one of the "many" if / when you have a chance to avoid that happening?!

Last edited:
The equivalent in 2019 is about £744 for the camera and £529 for the import duty.
We may well have to get used to similar import duties in the near future.

I picked up a few bargain nifty fifties today, a Canon FD 50/1.8, an Olympus OM 50/1.8 and an XR Rikenon 50/2.0 L. The Canon and Olympus were £9.99 each from Cash Converters and the Rikenon was £5.00 from a charity shop. I also got an Olympus Trip AF for £5.00 from another charity shop complete with case and manual.

Anyone know what the L denotes on the Ricoh lens?

And I got a 300mm Nikkor M lens from those nice people at WYC. Rather more than £5, but it will cover 10x8.

My EOS 3 was feeling a little dinky and under-powered. Thanks to the eagle-eyed @Mr Badger (if that is not a mixed metaphor) and his spotting of a PB-E2 Power Drive Booster for sale (at a very reasonable price) from West Yorkshire Cameras I now have something that fits my hands. With 8 rechargable Ni-MH AA batteries in it is quite weighty but feels good, and gives me a vertical shutter release and controls and should I wish to finish a film quickly 7 frames a second - gulp.

Meet the BEAST ! The Original battery holder is to the right.

IMG_20191023_102000s.jpg

Glad it arrived safely and works OK. I think they're a nicely made item with a real quality feel to them. As you say, it does make the EOS-3 a rather big beast (the scale of which can be seen next to the EOS 30 below!), but a well mannered and manageable one. It's also good to be future-proofed just in case they ever stop making the 2CR5 battery. Hope you enjoy using it David. :)

My latest new tool toy - a Carl Zeiss Werra mat. This is the only camera that Carl Zeiss made - the other Zeiss cameras being Zeiss Ikon - and is different in many ways to conventional film cameras. It has a rotary leaf shutter (which does not work yet), film advance is cunningly disguised as leatherette trim (took me a good twenty minutes to work out), and no visible means for getting into the camera to repair the shutter. The lens serial number says that it was made between 1961 and 1964._1010506.jpeg_1010507.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the only camera that Carl Zeiss made - the other Zeiss cameras being Zeiss Ikon.
That's not entirely true. Several cameras were made under the brand "Carl Zeiss" from 1902 until 1909. The best known of these was the Palmos. There is a story that the Contax D and S reflexes were also sold under the "Carl Zeiss Jena" brand before being renamed "Pentacon" but I haven't seen any proof of that.

That's not entirely true. Several cameras were made under the brand "Carl Zeiss" from 1902 until 1909. The best known of these was the Palmos. There is a story that the Contax D and S reflexes were also sold under the "Carl Zeiss Jena" brand before being renamed "Pentacon" but I haven't seen any proof of that.
Pedantically, that was Carl Zeiss Palmos AG, rather than Carl Zeiss. But basically, you are right.

The Contax D and S were originally sold as Zeiss Ikon cameras and then, in the West only, Pentacon cameras. They stayed as Zeiss Ikon in the East until Zeiss Ikon was subsumed into VEB Penacon. I have never heard of them being sold as Carl Zeiss Jena cameras - they are certainly not mentioned as such in any of my catalogues and price lists from the 1940s and 50s.

they are certainly not mentioned as such in any of my catalogues and price lists from the 1940s and 50s.
I bought a second hand Contax "S" around 1975 and it had "Carl Zeiss Jena" stamped on the back of the top plate in very small letters. My Pentacon FM had nothing in the same place. As these are the only ones I've seen I can't comment on what was going on.

New toys!

Well I have decided to keep the Voigtlander Bessa T camera, that I managed to acquire a little while ago.

I’ve now matched it up with:

Voigtlander 28mm Ultron f/2.0 lens
Voigtlander 15mm-35mm ZoomFinder viewfinder
Voigtlander Rapid Winder Trigger grip
JJC ‘Pro Leather’ soft release
Harry Benz ‘La Cravate’ wrist strap

It pairs well with my

Voigtlander Bessa R3a
Voigtlander 40mm Ultron f/1.2 lens
JJC ‘Pro Leather’ soft release
Harry Benz ‘La Cravate’ wrist strap

Time to test it out shooting in London over the weekend.

Cheers,
Shane

333180F7-CF35-4491-A915-03E2893327AA.jpeg157CBFE0-FEE2-4F04-A159-785EB736D849.jpegB4F58CEC-CD10-4C0D-A26C-A9744B780E26.jpeg

Last edited:
My latest new tool toy - a Carl Zeiss Werra mat. This is the only camera that Carl Zeiss made - the other Zeiss cameras being Zeiss Ikon - and is different in many ways to conventional film cameras. It has a rotary leaf shutter (which does not work yet), film advance is cunningly disguised as leatherette trim (took me a good twenty minutes to work out), and no visible means for getting into the camera to repair the shutter. The lens serial number says that it was made between 1961 and 1964.View attachment 258526View attachment 258525

Interesting! My first "serious" camera was a Werra 1 with a Tess f/2.8 lens. Mine had no light meter (nor did I), and zone focus. I used it with some success for over 4 years (exposure thanks to the notes inside film boxes in those days, now Known as Sunny 16, I guess).

My understanding is that the Zeiss factories were split in two at the end of WW2, and the factory that later made the Werra was in the eastern part (DDR?). There was a trademark war which ended up with the eastern part not being licensed to use the name, hence Werra from a nearby river.

In mine the wind on was made by rotating the lens surround. The lens was covered with a conical shell with an unscrewable lens cap at the end; if you didn't need to change setting you could shoot without removing the cover, or you could take it off and make adjustments, or reverse it as a lens hood.

I do wish I hadn't given mine to a charity shop!

Back