OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

It is indeed small for a 5.6 lens.

Did you buy the board converter in the UK per chance? I'll consider all options, but the price of the intrepid one is certainly attractive.

Yup from the UK, bought it from studentphotostore on eBay. I bought the last one at the time but it's worth asking if they have more stock.

A Zeiss Ikon Nettar 817/2 off the evilBay.

I must admit I waited before posting this, I wanted to make sure it worked, but I just processed the test roll and it looks like all 8 shots worked. So my fears about failed bellows, failed shutter and the whole red window winding came to nought.

A very nice 6x9 folder, albeit with the printed text looking rather tired.

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 6x9.JPG

After buying a lovely Robot Junior recently, I couldn't resist this gem, a Robot Star, the Junior's big brother. For a very reasonable price it came with two good film take-up cartridges, a couple of Robot filters, a half case and a handy contraption which allow film to be rewound from the take up spool into the feed cartridge. Both cameras can take standard 35mm cartridges the difference being that the Junior doesn't have a rewind facility so the little black rewind box is invaluable. I also took the opportunity to get a 75mm Robot lens from Peter Loy. Just need a 75mm or vario viewfinder now and a lens hood would be a good idea. I've taken films with both cameras which are now waiting to be processed. The film format is 24x24mm so you get up to 50 shots on a roll.
IMG_0037 copy.jpg

Here is a camera I was given with lenses and some other accessories by a friend of a friend. The Fuji camera actually had its original lens but it was very badly damaged so I chucked it. I haven't owned a screw mount SLR for ages so I'm quite pleased. A long time ago I had a 30mm Lydith which is the precursor to the Pentacon here. I used it with my Zenit B.
IMG_0045 copy.jpg

Yesterday I also got out a pile of cameras I was given last year. They are all cheap medium format cameras, two Ilford Sportis, a Paxina and, most interestingly, a 6x9 Agfa Clack. The Clack has a curved film plane, partially to compensate for the meniscus lens, like a 127 Brownie. That's the first one I will try out I think.
IMG_0063 copy.jpg

My latest acquisition: a Zeiss Ikon Contina II. This is the original folding Contina ÌI, not the later rigid bodied Contina II (which I already have). This originated as Ikonta 35 which also developed into the Contessa range. It dates from 1951/52 and is in very good condition. My only complaint is that it comes from a smoking household and smelt nasty. A mixture of meths and fresh air have already removed most of the smell.JPEG_20210222_112803_2710098267309194746.jpgJPEG_20210222_112850_1512259145064492413.jpg

Last edited:
Really looking forward to getting out with this - just put a roll of Delta 400 in it. It's an Isolette III that I got for a reasonable price off the bay considering it had pinholes in the bellows, a jammed rangefinder and a jammed shutter. All three are really common in 1950's Agfas. One stripdown, clean, calibration (fortunately, not the shutter - see my other thread) and bellows replacement, and I've got something that I think is rather lovely! Apotar lens, so looking forward to seeing the results.
Isolette.jpg

210mm F/5.6 Sinaron S MC lens .

already have exact same lens but this I picked up with sticky slow speeds for equivalent 80 quid which I reckonhas turned out to be a decentbargain given that two drops of lighter fluid has the shutter speeds working spot on.

lens already on an intrepid 110x110 board permanently for the 5x7 seeing as I can’t mount my Linhoff boards on the camerauntil an adapter becomes available ( TOYO don’t fit due to recess onrear of adapter) .

Not a planned purchase but it will prove handy now to have freed up my original 210mnand of course it saves havingto swap boards.

FDB9070E-8648-47B2-B69A-C7756C3C5B07.jpeg

Picked this up on ebay the other day. I've wanted to get myself a Leica for a while now, but funds simply don't allow at the minute unless I shift more of my gear than I'm really happy letting go of, so I picked up a Soviet cousin. A Zorki S with Industar-22 5cm f/3.5.

It's my first true rangefinder and I love it so far. It turned up this morning, and I've already put a roll of HP5+ through it and developed to make sure all is good. I haven't scanned the negs in yet, but I'll aim to get that done tomorrow morning at some point.

Zorki S by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Picked this up on ebay the other day. I've wanted to get myself a Leica for a while now, but funds simply don't allow at the minute unless I shift more of my gear than I'm really happy letting go of, so I picked up a Soviet cousin. A Zorki S with Industar-22 5cm f/3.5.

It's my first true rangefinder and I love it so far. It turned up this morning, and I've already put a roll of HP5+ through it and developed to make sure all is good. I haven't scanned the negs in yet, but I'll aim to get that done tomorrow morning at some point.

Zorki S by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Gateway drug...........

No photos (although a search should find some if anyone cares to look), but I got a 450mm Apo Tessar f/9 lens in Ilex 4 shutter today. It supposedly covers 11x14 :), but I only have small format cameras up to 10x8 :(. It should be usable with some of my 5x4 cameras, my Canham 5x7 and Canham 10x8, based on bellows length. Or, putting it another way, it should be useable if I am ever allowed out.

You mean that you're imprisoned??

Strange :thinking:, you must have done something seriously bad then cos the rest of us are out 'n about :exit: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
In England the rules are you are only allowed out for reasonable excuses such as essential shopping, exercise, work where you can't work from home etc I have read this to mean that I can go out for a hike and carry my camera gear but if I want to take a photo I should just stop briefly and shoot hand held. I think until we are less restricted (March 29th if we all play our part) going somewhere just to take photographs setting up a tripod and waiting for good light is flaunting those rules so I won't do it. I am fortunate in that I can walk from my house and very shortly be on the outer edge of Dartmoor so that is what I do and take a Fuji X-T2 with zoom lens to take handheld snapshots........for now.

Of course if Landscape Photography was my work it would be different and shortly that will be the case so I will see the restrictions differently then but for mow hand held it is.

It feels like imprisonment, house arrest. :confused:

In England the rules are you are only allowed out for reasonable excuses such as essential shopping, exercise, work where you can't work from home etc

Yes I'm aware that there are a variety of restrictions worldwide , if you took my post litterally, don't worry , i have a strange humour that some folk don't latch on to straight away ;)

I am also imprisoned although atm much less so than you in the UK

if I am ever allowed out.

Went for a MOT yesterday at 1:30 pm and was amazed at the number of vehicles on the roads..to lock down 60 million people is unworkable and only the few unlucky people (out and about) get stopped and fined by the police usually for being silly and taking the **** out of government rules. Just saying and not to start a debate on the subject.

10x8 inches ??

That camera dates back to the end of the 19th / beginning of 20th centuries.

‘Thé standard glass plate sizes were quarter, half and whole plate.... whole plate being 8.5 x6.5 inches

Perhaps a 10x8 was produced but I haven’t heard of it.

Thé Marion that I possessed dated back to 1887 ( the address on the ivory panel helped date it)

a very nice camera.

have you got a plate holder coming with it?

It's a Marion Ten by Eight

10x8 inches ??

That camera dates back to the end of the 19th / beginning of 20th centuries.

‘Thé standard glass plate sizes were quarter, half and whole plate.... whole plate being 8.5 x6.5 inches

Perhaps a 10x8 was produced but I haven’t heard of it.

Thé Marion that I possessed dated back to 1887 ( the address on the ivory panel helped date it)

a very nice camera.

have you got a plate holder coming with it?
Got a film holder coming with it and some film. According to the net it dates circa 1885

Really looking forward to getting out with this - just put a roll of Delta 400 in it. It's an Isolette III that I got for a reasonable price off the bay considering it had pinholes in the bellows, a jammed rangefinder and a jammed shutter. All three are really common in 1950's Agfas. One stripdown, clean, calibration (fortunately, not the shutter - see my other thread) and bellows replacement, and I've got something that I think is rather lovely! Apotar lens, so looking forward to seeing the results.
Isolette.jpg
I've got an Isolette II which has a jammed (open) shutter. That's not the only issue, it won't focus to infinity and the diaphragm looks like it's misbehaving at larger apertures. The bellows on the other hand are spot on. Any suggestions about fixing it?

I got this Zeiss Ikon Contina I, but waited until I got the test film processed, which I did today.

Zeiss Ikon Contina.JPG

It all checks out fine, except the frame counter which doesn't work. I initially thought that wouldn't matter, but then I failed to expose the final six frames of the film! Must work on my counting skills.

It's a really sweet little thing, I should have shown a cassette of 35mm film next to it, as it is pretty tiny.

I've got an Isolette II which has a jammed (open) shutter. That's not the only issue, it won't focus to infinity and the diaphragm looks like it's misbehaving at larger apertures. The bellows on the other hand are spot on. Any suggestions about fixing it?
I can send you the links I used next time I'm on the computer if that helps! I didn't need to do anything with my shutter, so can't help there, but I've got links for replacing bellows and unsticking stuck lenses.

I got this Zeiss Ikon Contina I, but waited until I got the test film processed, which I did today.

View attachment 310961

It all checks out fine, except the frame counter which doesn't work. I initially thought that wouldn't matter, but then I failed to expose the final six frames of the film! Must work on my counting skills.

It's a really sweet little thing, I should have shown a cassette of 35mm film next to it, as it is pretty tiny.
It is the elder brother to my Contina II a few posts above - I have a Contina I as well, they are delightful cameras. I never use frame counter- I just keep going until the film runs out. I usually get 38 to 39 frames on a 36 exposure cassette.

Last edited:
I can send you the links I used next time I'm on the computer if that helps! I didn't need to do anything with my shutter, so can't help there, but I've got links for replacing bellows and unsticking stuck lenses.
Thanks, the links would be very useful.

Thanks, the links would be very useful.
The three main pages that were helpful for me were:

and I got my bellows from

Picked up a Primefilm 7250u on my travels for scanning negs. Anyone used one?

Attachments

• 89EE4185-D05B-462F-AA21-98935A63F539.jpeg
    89EE4185-D05B-462F-AA21-98935A63F539.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 9
I've had a few of my fav film cameras stored away for several years. I had used most of them in the days of home dev.
Lockdown has given me time to get them out, check them over and, reluctantly, put them up for auction.
A couple sold, but my Balda Baldina rangefinder didn't sell. (I think I'll keep it). My minty Voigtlander Vito CLR looks to have no interest, so maybe I should buy some film and have another go , but try to avoid another blast of GAS.

Baldina1.jpgCLR1.jpg

I've had a few of my fav film cameras stored away for several years. I had used most of them in the days of home dev.
Lockdown has given me time to get them out, check them over and, reluctantly, put them up for auction.
A couple sold, but my Balda Baldina rangefinder didn't sell. (I think I'll keep it). My minty Voigtlander Vito CLR looks to have no interest, so maybe I should buy some film and have another go , but try to avoid another blast of GAS.

View attachment 311812View attachment 311813
You are left with two very capable cameras. They are my two most favourite rangefinder cameras.

I had a new lens delivered today. New to me, and pristine in the maker's box and packaging. It's quite small, and weighs 50 gms more than the OM 50mm /1.4, according to the specs. It's in a Copal 1 shutter. Nothing too remarkable so far, until we get to the focal length and coverage. It's a 450mm that covers 11x14.

It's a Fujinon C 450mm f/11.5. The "C" in the name apparently stands for "Compact" :)

I had a new lens delivered today. New to me, and pristine in the maker's box and packaging. It's quite small, and weighs 50 gms more than the OM 50mm /1.4, according to the specs. It's in a Copal 1 shutter. Nothing too remarkable so far, until we get to the focal length and coverage. It's a 450mm that covers 11x14.

It's a Fujinon C 450mm f/11.5. The "C" in the name apparently stands for "Compact" :)
From what I hear, that is a *Stunning* lens. I recently bought the Nikkor M 450mm, in a copal 3 shutter, and intend on using it on the 11x14 when ever I get the chance to finally build it! I would love to have been in a position to get the Fujinon C though. Keep a close eye on it, I'd hate for it to get relocated into a different camera bag :LOL:

I'd seen many people ask about how the Nikkor M and Fujinon C compare. You have a good lens. If I'd spotted one earlier, I would probably have gone for it. One person said that the Nikkor M has higher resolution, but that may depend on samples.

I'd seen many people ask about how the Nikkor M and Fujinon C compare. You have a good lens. If I'd spotted one earlier, I would probably have gone for it. One person said that the Nikkor M has higher resolution, but that may depend on samples.

I suspect you're right about the samples. In any case, the Fuji is absolutely tiny for the amount of lens you get. Kerry Thalmann raves about the fuji, and for very good reason. a 450mm lens in a copal 1 shutter?! It's tiny! And with a 52mm thread? I believe the 450C is smaller and lighter than my Fuji A 300mm... how is that possible?!

Probably down to limiting the aperture. Most "slow" lenses are /9.

I have a couple of other lenses of about this focal length, both a lot heavier, but also faster.

Back