OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

What lens does tht have, @john.margetts ? I was surprised that some of the shots seem quite blurred. My Ikonta even with the weaker Novar lens does seem to do sharp quite well. I wonder if there's some haze in there? (I've a vague feeling my father's 6x9 Ikonta might have died of haze...)

and I also made the mistake of using a stop bath with Foma film which has resulted with quite a few black spots
I did not know that stop bath should not be used with Foma, any more information on this? I have some4x5 Foma and always use stop and don't believe I have had any problems (well no more than the usual number of problems :) )

What lens does tht have, @john.margetts ? I was surprised that some of the shots seem quite blurred. My Ikonta even with the weaker Novar lens does seem to do sharp quite well. I wonder if there's some haze in there? (I've a vague feeling my father's 6x9 Ikonta might have died of haze...)
Chris, it is a Tessar. I thought some were a bit soft. I found the camera rather difficult to hold and still reach the shutter release which might account for at least some blurriness.

I did not know that stop bath should not be used with Foma, any more information on this? I have some4x5 Foma and always use stop and don't believe I have had any problems (well no more than the usual number of problems :) )
I read this on a Fona data sheet some years ago. It mentioned the acid in the stop batch reacting with carbonate in the emulsion causing bubbles of CO2. That might be dependent on the developer being used.

I read this on a Fona data sheet some years ago. It mentioned the acid in the stop batch reacting with carbonate in the emulsion causing bubbles of CO2. That might be dependent on the developer being used.
I ce souped Foma with stop and without ( using water only) and can’t say that I’ve had issues ...... developers hc110 and ID11

This of course doesn’t mean that an acid stop is the best idea of course but whilst ever it poses me no problems, I’ll continue with it .

I had one of those for a while but thought it better suited to a very talented young photographer......I think she was about 9 years old at the time ( @stevelmx5 ) :p :exit::exit::ROFLMAO:
Apart from the odd finger in the way (well, there are 4 lenses!), Chloe did pretty well :0)

Just taken delivery of a minty mint condition Nikon SW 90mm F/8 lens from the bay. I've been wanting this lens for years now, but haven't been able to get it through a complete lack of availability of this lens here in the UK.

Glass looks mint, as does the cosmetic appearance. Shutter speeds all sound good as well. Can't wait to get out and use it! If it's as sharp as my current F/4.5 version, then the brighter one will be up for sale :D (I wanted the F/8 because it is tiny, and weighs basically nothing).

The photo doesn't do it justice, but the size comparison is below. It literally weighs about half of the f/4.5 version.

2021-05-06 11.26.39.jpg
2021-05-06 12.01.43.jpg

Last edited:
I've just unpacked a 480mm Apo Ronar f/9, Copal 3, with an image circle of 396mm according to t'internet.

I picked up an Olympus XA3 and Olympus Superzoom 160 today for zero pounds. Someone had advertised them on the local Trash Nothing site. I also got a vintage flash unit complete with box of flashbulbs. Not sure if I'll find a use for that though.

The XA3 has its flash unit attached and the camera seems to work OK (not put a battery in the flash yet though). I've not tested the Superzoom yet as I don't have a suitable battery in the house. If it works I may kick-off another Travelling Superzoom adventure. :)

20210509_162559.jpg
20210509_162618.jpg

So I’ve been lurking around but not really posted an awful lot, but I thought I would show you all the new arrival anyway. Annoyingly I’ve actually owned one of these in the past but stupidly sold it, but ever since using a T2 a fair bit over the past few months I’ve been hankering after another so here we are :D Last time I had the 28 but opted for the 45 this time round, I can probably see myself having the 28 and the 90 in the future before too long but I guess we’ll see. I’ve currently got a test roll of Superia 400 in there it all looks well up to now, just waiting on some decent weather to get out with it properly :D

Contax G1 Planar 45mm f2 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Does look lovely, that. I remember having the G2 on my "want" list for ages but I managed to forget about it. Damn... ;)

When I got out of bed this morning, at the ridiculously early time of 8:10 am (getting on for two or more hours early for me) and went downstairs, I found a newspaper in the letter opening in the door and a card from FedEx on the floor saying "Sorry we missed you. There's a parcel behind the planter on the doorstep". They were correct. There was. Delivered at 7:32 according to the email.

So I now have a Super Angulon 121mm lens, that some say will just cover 10x8. In 35mm equivalent terms, if it does, it's about 20mm so slightly wide.

There is one specific image I have in mind that really needs something that wide, so in the unlikely event that Scotland is still open to English visitors at the point in the future when we are again free people (big doubt there in my mind too), I have a specific point in Glen Nevis to visit.

Does look lovely, that. I remember having the G2 on my "want" list for ages but I managed to forget about it. Damn... ;)

I had the same with this, I almost bought one last year but decided the T2 would cover me. In the end I started looking at rangefinders again but decided what I wanted was going to be too much money. Despite the price this actually came off as a much cheaper alternative :LOL: I did look at the G2 but again the price put me off, this one came up at Ffordes for the right price at the right time (a few days before my birthday when I get like spoiling myself :LOL: )

We’ve got some decent weather here this evening so I’m thinking I’ll be out with it tonight :D

The 139 is smaller and less prone to complete sudden failure :)

DHL appeared this morning, rang the door, and my wife answered it, to be handed a parcel. S: What's this then, Chris? Yet more photo stuff? C: Oh it's just another lens. S: You must have enough already, dozens of them in that drawer upstairs. C: Oh, I'll be selling off one or two of those...

The parcel contains a SMC Pentax-A 35/2 lens in what appears to be excellent cosmetic condition. This was the first UK example of seen this year, although there are plenty to be had from Japan. I made a cheeky 80% bid on fleabay and it was accepted.

This is one of the highest rated among the manual Pentax lenses, by users on PentaxForums. I've used the M 35/2 for many years; it's probably my favourite focal length. The lens did take a knock a while back that dented the filter thread, and I've been a bit suspicious of its sharpness ever since, So I thought I'd try with the higher rated A version.

Took it out this afternoon briefly; focus and aperture rings are a bit stiff, which is worrying. I like my lenses to be nice and smooth. I'd better test the iris; f/22 at a fairly fast shutter speed will need a pretty bright day with FP4 loaded!

BTW bluebells look positively weird in the viewfinder throuhj an orange filter!

DHL appeared this morning, rang the door, and my wife answered it, to be handed a parcel

:facepalm: How many times do we have to tell ya to ensure that ´er indoors is out doing errands when deliveries are imminent !!!

These yung uns, you just get through to ´em :banghead:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:facepalm: How many times do we have to tell ya to ensure that ´er indoors is out doing errands when deliveries are imminent !!!

These yung uns, you just get through to ´em :banghead:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I get packages sent to the office:exit:

Well I managed to get out last night with the new camera, waited on a very windy beach for a spectacular sunset to unfold in front of me but it was a little subdued shall we say :LOL:

Technically, this photo is in the correct thread as my new shutter release cable arrived yesterday and can be seen in the shot ;)

Waiting for the sunset by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Took delivery of a 400g bottle of thiourea today, mixed 2g up with 230g of washing soda in a litre of water and sepia toned some prints.

2021-05-21-0002s.jpg

This was on Ilford MG RC - think in future will make sure I have prints with borders as edges were a bit blotchy and need to get greasy finger marks off with a really good wash before bleach and tone.

So I’ve been lurking around but not really posted an awful lot, but I thought I would show you all the new arrival anyway. Annoyingly I’ve actually owned one of these in the past but stupidly sold it, but ever since using a T2 a fair bit over the past few months I’ve been hankering after another so here we are :D Last time I had the 28 but opted for the 45 this time round, I can probably see myself having the 28 and the 90 in the future before too long but I guess we’ll see. I’ve currently got a test roll of Superia 400 in there it all looks well up to now, just waiting on some decent weather to get out with it properly :D

Regret selling mine, although I found the camera a bit quirky, the glass, a 45mmF2 too, was simply stunning!

Regret selling mine, although I found the camera a bit quirky, the glass, a 45mmF2 too, was simply stunning!

I’m really hoping it’s as good as the internet says it is! When I had the 28mm I couldn’t believe just how good it was, 45mm feels a little more “me” at the moment though so that made the most sense. It’s a green label body too so I do have the choice of the 35mm and 21mm open to me too, although I think the 28mm may be next, or perhaps a flashgun....damn this is how I got in this situation

Reactions: Jao

heard incredible things about that 45mm!

heard incredible things about that 45mm!

Me too! Just sent some rolls off to FilmDev today so will hopefully get scans back before too long to see for myself :D

I received a most welcome box today from West Yorkshire Cameras. I am now the proud owner of not one, but TWO Yorkshire tea bags. I am currently celebrating my good fortune with a pint mug of tea.

Not content with brightening up my day with tea bags, they also included a case for a Profisix meter - I have the meter without a case - and as an afterthought a 240mm Apo Ronar lens in Copal 3 which covers 5x7.

That's what I like about that company @StephenM , you buy 2 teabags from them for an exorbitant price but they include nice surprise pressies - in my case two 120 backs for the Pentax 645.

That's what I like about that company @StephenM , you buy 2 teabags from them for an exorbitant price but they include nice surprise pressies - in my case two 120 backs for the Pentax 645.

The tea bags of course mean that they are an "essential shop" for lockdown purposes.

Just opened my new sack of 1100 Typhoo teabags and not even a biscuit in there, perhaps should change supplier
It does what it say's on the tin, you only get an OO with Typhoo, and that's it... :p

I'm just gonna come right out and say what everyone is thinking...Typhoo < Yorkshire Tea

by MILES and MILES..

Also managed to find a Leslie Gilbert flash unit too - no chance on a genuine Graflex one cos - Darth Vader. b*****d :( Still, better than nothing.

1622919868328.png

Last edited:
Back