Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well my mkiii is only about 7 months old ,so although this does look very tempting I am going to leave it sat in the corner for a while , tried a couple of PX offers and while not to bad it would still need a large wad of cash to add .
Can I warrant a upgrade that I cant really justify .not at the moment if the camera is that good and I start to see results that make me go wow then in six months time the likes of h.dew or panamoz may have them
I'm pretty sure they'll have them soon, but how much cheaper they'll be in the first 6 months is anyone's guess.
To be honest, I'm not too bothered about the battery charger not being included as with my EM1-X and EM1 MK III, I haven't used their chargers in over 18 months now. I have a Nikon EH-7P AC to USB-C charger that came with my Nikon Z7, that I use instead and it's just easier charging the batteries in camera without having to remove them first, and if travelling, it's one more bulky piece of kit and an AC lead I don't have to take with me. I just hope that when the OM-1 is used with it's new HLD-10 battery grip that both batteries can be charged with a single connection (doesn't with the EM1-MK III).

I have to say on initial view I've loving the new menu system, seems much simplified. I hope they can roll this out to the MK III and 1X via a firmware upgrade ?

Also the early pre-order options of getting a free spare BLX-1 battery and a 5 year warranty sounds like a fairly decent deal ?
It's a good incentive to be an early buyer, but of course we all know prices will tumble and it's always a question of whether it's worth waiting or not.
I'm afraid it's pure GAS in my case - I find the EM10-3 really good for its job (street/grab shots), and I'm just getting going with the EM1-2, but I have been building the M43 lens portfolio whilst thinking ahead to retirement, as well as the Nikon outfit. What I like about this OM-1 is that it looks like serious competition for my Nikon D500, and might preclude the idea expressed elsewhere of a D850, given that I'm no pro or would-be. What a few Olly experts here have shown can be achieved, makes me think very carefully about going down the FF route (ie Not).
I've run the Olympus system alongside FF (D750, D850, Z7, A9-II) for quite some time and as much as I love m4/3 I can't see myself ever giving up FF. There are times that the extra dynamic range, better noise handling (we need to wait and see what the OM1 is like), and shallow DOF/POP that FF offers will always win out for me. That being said there are times when the weight saving of m4/3 wins out, hence the two systems. In terms of IQ I've shown several times that viewing at 'normal' sizes it's hard to separate the two.

TBH honest if I was running APS-C and m4/3 I'd definitely ditch the APS-C in favour of the m4/3 as there's not enough difference between the two for me to justify or want to run those two systems. Of course YMMV (y)

Wex quoted me £937 for as new condition
It is strange how the prices fluctuate daily, i would have thought they would have gone down in value if anything because of the announcement.

Reactions: nog
Right, I have now received the streaming link and as You Tube surmise this in not a unique link 'just for me'. It starts in about 2hr 15mins i.e. 7pm

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGK_PlBZ5VA
.... I have just watched this and firstly I owe Tesni an apology - She was being very honest in her assessments of the OM-1 without any bull.

The streamed presentation has convinced me that my pre-order was the right thing to do! It was very factual and being a well-seasoned E-M1X user it all made absolute sense.

Thanks for posting the heads-up @Box Brownie (y):)

Last edited:
I got the same sort of quotes from LCE and wex but I think I will hang on and wait till later in the year .. no one has yet come up with P/P use I.e LR..
And in six months time we should know if it’s really WOW or fizzle , all the videos I have seen are by peeps with vested interests

.... We are all different of course about what satisfies us in our photographic efforts but I read or heard somewhere this morning that the combo of the OM-1's new sensor type with much more powerful latest processor, can potentially result in noise performance which matches a current FF camera (until the FF brands also upgrade their offerings).

It was explained in detail in an earlier post so I'll find it and edit this one accordingly. > > > Edited to include Reply #24,822 by Mr Perceptive :

"With 4 photo diodes per pixel (cell) there is quite a lot of scope for adjustment calculations, to smooth the noise at a pixel level. We do not know the sensitivity of these photo diodes, they might all be the same or they could work as Fuji S5 Pro concept, where different sensitivity is applied to each diode,"

It does sound to me from the outside that it might be worth considering selling your E-M1 mk2 body and also your Nikon D500 to streamline your gear and then once replaced with a OM-1 body you will probably find you are using more of your Olly kit more often. But as I said earlier, only you know what suits you best.
I've only had time for reading the DPReview piece which covered similar ground, which is why I am tempted towards a strategy like you outlined Robin. I do have a few Nikon FF lenses though (because I had a long term plan to go for Nikon FF), so a fair bit to sell/trade. So I'm going to be good and stick with current gear for a while, get some good use out of the EM1-2, then see how I feel. I do think I'll be going for this a bit later on though, as it seems to hit many desirable spots.

I've run the Olympus system alongside FF (D750, D850, Z7, A9-II) for quite some time and as much as I love m4/3 I can't see myself ever giving up FF. There are times that the extra dynamic range, better noise handling (we need to wait and see what the OM1 is like), and shallow DOF/POP that FF offers will always win out for me. That being said there are times when the weight saving of m4/3 wins out, hence the two systems. In terms of IQ I've shown several times that viewing at 'normal' sizes it's hard to separate the two.

TBH honest if I was running APS-C and m4/3 I'd definitely ditch the APS-C in favour of the m4/3 as there's not enough difference between the two for me to justify or want to run those two systems. Of course YMMV (y)
This is also a line of thought I have had - to trade the D500 for a D850, and go for the OM-1 trading in the EM1-2 maybe. Too many options and decisions!

Nice to finally see OM catching up and offering 4K at 60p too! That's something I've come to value over the last couple years since investigating video further. However, I've barely scratched the surface with my current EM1-2 so doubt I'd be in a position at least for a couple of years to take it to another level..

I got the same sort of quotes from LCE and wex but I think I will hang on and wait till later in the year .. no one has yet come up with P/P use I.e LR..
.... There is always a delay before RAW Editors release support for any new camera.
And in six months time we should know if it’s really WOW or fizzle , all the videos I have seen are by peeps with vested interests
.... Whereas these peeps definitely have vested interests, the better ones are making total sense in their descriptions of how the new technologies and features work - Technical but not overly technical, it all makes very logical sense to me and it can easily be simplified into saying that the much greater power of New Sensor + Faster Processor = A Big Leap in Improvement throughout all the features of both the E-M1 mkIII and E-M1X, which is helpful to the photographer.

I have a lot of trust in what Olympus, now OM Systems, have to say about their products. Everything they said about the then new ED 150-400mm TC Pro I have found to be absolutely true after my 18 months of constant use.

Last edited:
Not sure if said earlier but as the LCE offer matched the Oly own webshop I have placed my pre-order at LCE and all being well if the figures work out I will have to decide which of the Mk3 and the M1X to trade-in :) On the face of it the M1X :thinking: and keep the Mk3 for buildings, interiors etc where a simple small combo with the 12-40mm mk1 will do fine.

Hopefullly the trade-in value of the M1X will free up enough extra dosh to buy the HLD-10 grip as I have found the M1X especially great on a tripod where with the 40-150 & the 300 it is second nature to flip the orientation as needed. Oh, and it seems that the grip holds 2 batteries so combine that with the one in the body................that is one heck of lot of running time usage!

PS I have noted the OM-1 menu and that is reminiscent of the Canon interface ;)

Last edited:
.... I have just watched this and firstly I owe Tesni an apology - She was being very honest in her assessments of the OM-1 without any bull.

The streamed presentation has convinced me that my pre-order was the right thing to do! It was very factual and being a well-seasoned E-M1X user it all made absolute sense.

Thanks for posting the heads-up @Box Brownie (y):)
There is another online at midnight, as soon as I have the link I will post it here. NB the Dave & Tesni one though no longer live is still there to watch ~ phew!

I have installed v2 of Olympus Workspace to view some OM-1 raw samples and note WS offers to install AI Noise Reduction.

Has anyone tried v2 and the AI NR option?

Hopefullly the trade-in value of the M1X will free up enough extra dosh to buy the HLD-10 grip as I have found the M1X especially great on a tripod where with the 40-150 & the 300 it is second nature to flip the orientation as needed. Oh, and it seems that the grip holds 2 batteries so combine that with the one in the body................that is one heck of lot of running time usage!

PS I have noted the OM-1 menu and that is reminiscent of the Canon interface ;)
.... I'll think you'll find that the grip's physical attachment to the body will then occupy the body's own battery chamber and therefore you have only the 2 batteries within the grip. that's how it is on all the Canon bodies I have owned when attaching a grip. But I could be wrong about the OM-1.

According to Tesni in the live presentation, battery life is significantly increased as Olympus have claimed.

The battery charger is a double unit, which is an advantage if you have a grip and there will be a discounted option to buy it with 1 battery included. So by pre-ordering you could have 3 batteries. 2 in the grip and 1 spare when out in the field all day is a good idea.

I have a HLD-10 on pre-order too and am told it is expected at the same time as the OM-1 but no stock availability date is known or can be promised yet.

Historically the Olympus online shop usually gets stock before the UK retailers.

I have become used to the existing Olympus Menus but also noticed its similarity to the Canon's.

Last edited:
.... I'll think you'll find that the grip's physical attachment to the body will then occupy the body's own battery chamber and therefore you have only the 2 batteries within the grip. that's how it is on all the Canon bodies I have owned when attaching a grip. But I could be wrong about the OM-1.

According to Tesni in the live presentation, battery life is significantly increased as Olympus have claimed.

The battery charger is a double unit, which is an advantage if you have a grip and there will be a discounted option to buy it with 1 battery included. So by pre-ordering you could have 3 batteries. 2 in the grip and 1 spare when out in the field all day is a good idea.

I have a HLD-10 on pre-order too and am told it is expected at the same time as the OM-1 but no stock availability date is known or can be promised yet.

Historically the Olympus online shop usually gets stock before the UK retailers.

I have become used to the existing Olympus Menus but also noticed its similarity to the Canon's.
Hi Robin

In regard to the HLD-10 its style is much like the HLD-9 i.e. unlike the Canon battery grip(s) it does not insert into the body battery compartment but instead uses a multi pin interface on the base of the camera body.

Shape and pins seen here
Though of note unlike what I read before about it the info on the above page states it holds only one battery :thinking:

Can I ask, have you made your pre-order from the Olympus webshop?

PS the dual battery charger here

Says it comes with a battery :)

But on both items ~ what are the prices???

Hi Robin

In regard to the HLD-10 its style is much like the HLD-9 i.e. unlike the Canon battery grip(s) it does not insert into the body battery compartment but instead uses a multi pin interface on the base of the camera body.

Shape and pins seen here
Though of note unlike what I read before about it the info on the above page states it holds only one battery :thinking:

Can I ask, have you made your pre-order from the Olympus webshop?

PS the dual battery charger here

Says it comes with a battery :)

But on both items ~ what are the prices???
.... Double charger on its own costs £119. Option to include 1 battery with it costs £179. So I think you save about £20(?) on the cost of a battery.

No, I didn't pre-order from Olympus webshop - I'll PM you tomorrow.

Thanks for info and links (y):)

.... Double charger on its own costs £119. Option to include 1 battery with it costs £179. So I think you save about £20(?) on the cost of a battery.

No, I didn't pre-order from Olympus webshop - I'll PM you tomorrow.

Thanks for info and links (y):)
I have just realised that the battery charger I linked was the SBCX-1 package and that includes the battery....makes me wonder what price that will be?
Edit ~ just found it on the Oly webshop and the BCX-1 vs SBCX-1 tallies with what you say above.

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
Correction on editing apparently LR is already enabled for the OM1

Correction on editing apparently LR is already enabled for the OM1
.... Oooh, although I don't use Lightroom, that bodes well for Capture One [Robin said optimistically].

I guess the fallback option is OM Workspace.

I'm going to contact FastRawViewer to ask when they are likely to support the OM-1 because I use FRV for culling and image rating before editing. I know others here use FRV.

.... Oooh, although I don't use Lightroom, that bodes well for Capture One [Robin said optimistically].

I guess the fallback option is OM Workspace.

I'm going to contact FastRawViewer to ask when they are likely to support the OM-1 because I use FRV for culling and image rating before editing. I know others here use FRV.
Re:FRV
I emailed yesterday and have had this reply

"We plan to publish RawDigger with OM-1 support today or tomorrow.

We plan to publish FastRawViewer with OM-1 support in a few days.
We'll notify you when updated versions become available.

Note: right now we do not have an 80-Mpix (PixelShift/tripod mode) sample from this camera.
If you have the camera on hand could you please create such a sample for us? Subject does not matter, while something with fine texture is preferred to see resolution improvement."

another short eared owl shot from a few weeks ago .. do I REALLY need another camera ?
air brakes by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
.... No you definitely don't need another camera Jeff! You do so well with what you have and are especially skilled at inflight shots. I can't match your flight shots on a E-M1X but could when I had a Canon 7D-2. I'm hoping that I can find my inflight mojo again on the OM-1 but that is not my main reason for buying one.

I'm staying with my E-M1mk11 for at least the next 12months, after that prices should have stabilised and any bug ... camera or software ... should have been sorted. Then I might dip my toe into the market

RedRobin, re Fast RawViewer. Are there any good youtube videos showing how to just view and mark these for importing into LR.? The only ones I have come across go far too deep for my current requirements.

RedRobin, re Fast RawViewer. Are there any good youtube videos showing how to just view and mark these for importing into LR.? The only ones I have come across go far too deep for my current requirements.
.... Hi Gordon, I am exactly the same as you in the way I use FRV - I'm betting we are both Mac users! :D

I haven't come across any such videos but will have a go at describing how I use FRV to only cull, rate, and move image files to my RAW editor. But I'll have to do this later today as I have just had a call since starting to write this Reply and must go out.

Quick edit : Download FRV version 2 - It's easier and faster but I'll still get back to you later.

Last edited:
Worth a look on image resource high iso image of a cat at iso 25600

I'm staying with my E-M1mk11 for at least the next 12months, after that prices should have stabilised and any bug ... camera or software ... should have been sorted. Then I might dip my toe into the market
I'm on the same wavelength here ,plus I'm skint having just bought a new car , we don't know how household bills will be affected later this year, and SWMBO knows its available and I cant afford a camera AND a divorce

I'm on the same wavelength here ,plus I'm skint having just bought a new car , we don't know how household bills will be affected later this year, and SWMBO knows its available and I cant afford a camera AND a divorce

Yeah, AND she would likely get the camera in the divorce too!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spotted this

Another difference is a new battery. While the battery's form factor remains the same, ensuring backward compatibility, the new battery promises about 20 percent more battery life and works with USB Power Delivery over USB-C

With the new 12-40mm f2.8 II I wonder how it'll affect MkI prices, I'd imagine they'll go down?

With the new 12-40mm f2.8 II I wonder how it'll affect MkI prices, I'd imagine they'll go down?
Not sure. I guess it depends on whether the dealer will struggle to sell them. Can’t see the Mk2 being discounted for a while yet.

Spotted this

Another difference is a new battery. While the battery's form factor remains the same, ensuring backward compatibility, the new battery promises about 20 percent more battery life and works with USB Power Delivery over USB-C

More battery life would be brilliant, but there seems to be some confusion over whether the old batts can be used in the new body. Or maybe its just me that's confused?

Worth a look on image resource high iso image of a cat at iso 25600

It's at f4 and 1/320 though which suggests that the light isn't that low but if you need those settings I agree the picture is ok at least for a whole picture viewed normally.

Not sure. I guess it depends on whether the dealer will struggle to sell them. Can’t see the Mk2 being discounted for a while yet.
No I can’t see discounts on the MKII any time soon but usually when a new model comes out it affects the price of the old one (y)

Back