weekly Oy's Weekly Photo Thingamabob for 2024 : WEEK 20 : ARCHES

A couple of nice shots. As has already been said the way the bridge frames the canal curving away is good. I was particularly impressed as it looks like you must be stood in the middle of the canal to get the shot!

On the second one I like the vertical lines of the buildings intersecting with the suggested lines of the bollards fanning across the image. Also there is a nice yellow/red colour scheme going one.
Cheers :)

A nice take on the theme Dave and a different angle of the tower to normal. I like the Deco? building next to the tower.

A nice take on the theme Dave and a different angle of the tower to normal. I like the Deco? building next to the tower.
Ta Pete. That was a Woolworths back in the day.

They are certainly robust defences... makes an interesting composition.

That super wide angle really pulls together the foreground and background which is what makes the photo. Clearly not a happy accident and all the better for being so. Very nice indeed and a classic example of having the right tools (lens) on you as well as the vision to see it.

Week 3 : Soft

Jigsaw Hell - a HARD one :eek:

BUT - A flock of Knott at low tide rummaging in the famously SOFT Morecambe Bay mud!

i-qp6TwSB-X2.jpg

Yes, very good. I like the criss-cross nature, with the ripples in the sand running bottom left to top right, and the puddles (seeming) to run bottom right to top left. It took me a moment or two before I even saw the birds.

Yes, very good. I like the criss-cross nature, with the ripples in the sand running bottom left to top right, and the puddles (seeming) to run bottom right to top left. It took me a moment or two before I even saw the birds.
Thanks Paul :)

I'd never heard of a Knot bird before, had to look it up. I'm guessing that the B&W enhances the birds in the scene as they're grey?

Nice patterns and the monochrome suits the image too.
Cheers Stan :)

I'd never heard of a Knot bird before, had to look it up. I'm guessing that the B&W enhances the birds in the scene as they're grey?

Never gave it a thought Alan - I just liked the mud in mono :)

I didn't spot the birds until I looked closer, I like your Canal shot best.

That certainly works for soft Dave and the Knot are an added bonus. Looks really good in black & white.

Certainly looks soft, birds and the ripples in the mud/sand adds interest. Had thought of doing a pic of dogs in the soft going field but weather is xxxx

Certainly looks soft, birds and the ripples in the mud/sand adds interest. Had thought of doing a pic of dogs in the soft going field but weather is xxxx
Ta :) Same weather here - but I'm a bit bonkers :)

Reactions: nog
As has been said the patterns in the mud are shown up well by the b&w.

I noticed the bird just above the bottom edge of the photo has a nice reflection showing. It looks like there might have been some opportunities for some zoomed in shots as well.

As has been said the patterns in the mud are shown up well by the b&w.

I noticed the bird just above the bottom edge of the photo has a nice reflection showing. It looks like there might have been some opportunities for some zoomed in shots as well.
Thanks - I take a lot of waders with my 500mm here :)

Week 4 : Water

Just back from a short break up to Whitby - and much playing with my new Nikon Zf and 40mm SE F/2.

The view out across Whitby Harbour and the North Sea from the famous 199 Steps up to the Priory and Abbey.

i-XZ9TXWn-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Love this, the light's fantastic.

That's just terrific Dave. Shot at the right time of day to keep all the detail. (y)

Soft: definitely fits the bill (see what I did there :LOL:)
Water: Great image that made me laugh as (last year) I spent a cold evening standing at the top of those stairs waiting for the light to come on to get that shot... it never did!!!!

Soft: definitely fits the bill (see what I did there :LOL:)
Water: Great image that made me laugh as (last year) I spent a cold evening standing at the top of those stairs waiting for the light to come on to get that shot... it never did!!!!

Thanks Helen. I've never see the top lights on. In face many years ago I shot from near the top and photoshopped one of the other lights on :D

Whitby is so photogenic. Some of my first semi-serious shots were taken there. I had a Zenit something or other. Wish I still had it, but alas no. Great shot!!

Whitby is so photogenic. Some of my first semi-serious shots were taken there. I had a Zenit something or other. Wish I still had it, but alas no. Great shot!!
Thanks Bob - I had one too. A Zenit MTL-5.

I think that one great shot, well done.

Cheers Keith :)

Back