weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Hmmm, difficult choice. I prefer the detailed reflection in the centre of the first one, but I like the smoothed out blur of the second one and that definitely fits the theme better. Maybe a composite of the two?

Thanks Elaine :).............if only my PP skills could stretch that far :p

Well Phil, I really like both! I haven't a scooby what they are but I think they're fantastic abstract shots. Definitely hanging material for me :) :clap: especially the first.

Is it some sort of a lid - like a saucepan lid or something? Or an urn from above?

Thanks Paul........no lid or urn ;)

And what were we looking down.......................the barrel of a shotgun :p

First one shows the reflection of the sky, wall, fence and field in the barrel

Second one is exactly same pov but with as shallow dof as possible

AKA a smooth bore barrel :D ..........Edit - Ignore the two bits of ivy branches sticking in on the left :rolleyes:

Set up for smooth
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Smooth - liking #2 for the theme as it is the smoother of the two. Good idea and well set up. Ticks all the boxes (y)

Thanks Alan

Its odd, I can see it all now, but it is still a hard one to grasp

...Edit - Ignore the two bits of ivy branches sticking in on the left :rolleyes:

You know them too well... Oh, OK, you know us too well.

Well this weeks image could be a bit of a cheat :whistle: I took it because I have the bike up for sale and was asked for a couple more photos. I noticed the flares off the mirror before I took the picture so they were intentional and really pleased with the outcome.

My own crit would be the pavement, I could have done with moving the bike nearer to where I was stood, away from the curb, but having spotted the flares my mind was else where :rolleyes:

The cloning of the number plate was just a quick job, if it wasn't for an advertisement I'd have left it in ;)

Edit- forgot to mention the odd coloured flare on the frame, (it looks to be at the end of the indicator) that wasn't there when I took the image :confused:

Week 47 :eek: this mirror is attached to the handlebars :D

VT750DC-2 For Sale
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh, I'm quite disappointed by your explanation of the theme reference, because when I saw it on the main thread I assumed it was down to your emotional attachment to your bike, so I felt a bit let down to read that it was up for sale :( The bike is a little too central in the frame for my liking, but I love the sunburst effects from the mirrors and the hint of a reflection of a tree.

Wow Phil, where was that thing when sparkle came out as a theme. Super clean bike. Looks awesome in the late afternoon (?) sunlight

Glad you seem determined to get to the end, (by whatever means necessary). ;)

Good man.(y)

To remove the flare... I'd probably make a selection of the lower part of that section, flip it vertically, move it over the flare and then use a layer mask to paint out the unaffected parts. :D

Last edited:
Hi Phil, the mirror is certainly attached to the handlebar :LOL: as you mention the surroundings could be better, excellent flare from the mirror (y)

Oh, I'm quite disappointed by your explanation of the theme reference, because when I saw it on the main thread I assumed it was down to your emotional attachment to your bike, so I felt a bit let down to read that it was up for sale :( The bike is a little too central in the frame for my liking, but I love the sunburst effects from the mirrors and the hint of a reflection of a tree.

Thanks Elaine, don't be disappointed, I'm not really one for attachment to material things.....they all have a price :D I do agree, too central in the frame :)

:rolleyes: :D

I too assumed you were attached the the bike.

It's a belting bike. Pity about the cluttered surroundings but the flare on the mirror is great.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Wow Phil, where was that thing when sparkle came out as a theme. Super clean bike. Looks awesome in the late afternoon (?) sunlight

Glad you seem determined to get to the end, (by whatever means necessary). ;)

Good man.(y)

Thanks Graham, I have no idea what you mean :angelic:

I did actually take this for 'attached' but couldn't make mi mind up. I couldn't get any other pov and it just looked too cluttered so went with the image of the bike that I'd took for the add :whistle:

Week 46 Attached
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

To remove the flare... I'd probably make a selection of the lower part of that section, flip it vertically, move it over the flare and then use a layer mask to paint out the unaffected parts. :D

I did find a smiley emotion for your explanation on how to remove the flare, but, seeing as we have ladies present in the TP52, I thought :p was more appropriate :D

Hi Phil, the mirror is certainly attached to the handlebar :LOL: as you mention the surroundings could be better, excellent flare from the mirror (y)

Thanks Allan :D

Smooth ... at first I thought it was a wonky old hub-cap, liking #2 more. So thanks for the explanation Phil ... good thinking and thought-provoking idea.

Attached ... I thought this to be quite a nice image, then kept seeing it as it appears at the top of the page ... and the more I see it the more I like it. Captured from that POV to get the sparkle but it happens to be a really nice POV.

Hi Phil

Smooth....very original take ( note to self...NEVER upset this man! ) of the 2 , I prefer the 2nd one....very abstract & incredibly smooth.....I'd be tempted to print & frame that one :clap:

Attached.....nooooo....how could you sell her.... I'm incredibly attached to my bike & my car , they're family members , to the point I cover the bike with a duvet in it's own cover & regularly talk to both of them :D Love the starbursts on the mirror (y)

Hiya Phil, that's a good shot. My thoughts:

Starbursts are lovely. They complement each other and just simply work. Top, top notch on those. Also a very shiny bike, lovely paintwork and really clean - as you'd expect for a "for sale" ad!

You've mentioned the road etc. I think a nice open field and this photo would start to sing. This is the biggest thing for me stopping it being a truly wonderful shot... as it is, it's a very good shot.

Shadow - I really like this and my only crit here is that I'd like the whole shadow in frame and enough space to the right to satisfy myself it's all in frame! As it is, I'm left wondering.

Composition - I really like the fact it's pointing away from you... kind of ready to drive off already. Which works given them description. The only other composition apart from a grass field which springs to mind is to find a very very quiet road and park the bike up in the middle of it... with the road stretching away into the distance. Wow :)

Good shot though and some really nice technicals - and we're all guilty of needing to check the rest of the frame before pressing the shutter!

Hi Phil :)

Smooth - NOW then you really had me puzzled on this, i really didn't have a clue and was a surprised at the barrels, a real good effect... I'm liking the first shot where you can see a bit more of the detail :)

Attached - I too thought it was something YOU were attached too lol... agree about the fussy background, but don't mind the flare at all, love the big starburst and theme wise Ha haaaa why not :D

Smooth ... at first I thought it was a wonky old hub-cap, liking #2 more. So thanks for the explanation Phil ... good thinking and thought-provoking idea.

Attached ... I thought this to be quite a nice image, then kept seeing it as it appears at the top of the page ... and the more I see it the more I like it. Captured from that POV to get the sparkle but it happens to be a really nice POV.

Thanks David
:agree: with d00d there Phil .... nice natural shot, and that is a really super sparkle :)

Thanks Susie

Hi Phil

Smooth....very original take ( note to self...NEVER upset this man! ) of the 2 , I prefer the 2nd one....very abstract & incredibly smooth.....I'd be tempted to print & frame that one :clap:

Attached.....nooooo....how could you sell her.... I'm incredibly attached to my bike & my car , they're family members , to the point I cover the bike with a duvet in it's own cover & regularly talk to both of them :D Love the starbursts on the mirror (y)

Thanks Lynne, yes, I cover my bike with a cover then an old duvet for protection ...........I wouldn't want any scratches devaluing it :LOL:......errrrrr and yes, I sometimes talk to it too ...........
shakehead.gif
0062.gif
.............:D

Hiya Phil, that's a good shot. My thoughts:

Starbursts are lovely. They complement each other and just simply work. Top, top notch on those. Also a very shiny bike, lovely paintwork and really clean - as you'd expect for a "for sale" ad!

You've mentioned the road etc. I think a nice open field and this photo would start to sing. This is the biggest thing for me stopping it being a truly wonderful shot... as it is, it's a very good shot.

Shadow - I really like this and my only crit here is that I'd like the whole shadow in frame and enough space to the right to satisfy myself it's all in frame! As it is, I'm left wondering.

Composition - I really like the fact it's pointing away from you... kind of ready to drive off already. Which works given them description. The only other composition apart from a grass field which springs to mind is to find a very very quiet road and park the bike up in the middle of it... with the road stretching away into the distance. Wow :)

Good shot though and some really nice technicals - and we're all guilty of needing to check the rest of the frame before pressing the shutter!

Thanks Paul, great idea, have you ever thought of marketing :D

Hi Phil :)

Smooth - NOW then you really had me puzzled on this, i really didn't have a clue and was a surprised at the barrels, a real good effect... I'm liking the first shot where you can see a bit more of the detail :)

Attached - I too thought it was something YOU were attached too lol... agree about the fussy background, but don't mind the flare at all, love the big starburst and theme wise Ha haaaa why not :D

Thanks DK

All comments, crit and feed back much appreciated, thanks :)

Well who ever thought of putting so many pylons in one place, in the middle of the South Pennines, wants beating with a big stick :D

Full sun would have been nice, but it wasn't going to happen because of the hills .

I'm undecided,...:thinking:....... a tad underexposed maybe? The histogram looks ok :confused:

Edit- I've upped the exposure a tad in ACR (not something I like doing) but it does look better. 1st image now replaced with this one :)

And how many pylons can you count? :D I've counted 3 times and got 3 different amounts each time :rolleyes:

Honest comments and crit welcome :)

Pylons, supplying us with energy ;)

TP52 Week 48 Energy_2nd edit 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil, 21 pylons :beer:might be half that amount,
a nice idea and a perfect location for them, did think about it myself, glad I didn't can't compete with pylon city there, exposure looks fine to me,
they blend in fine don't they :whistle:

Hi Phill, 20 pylons I think! It starts playing havoc with my eyes though! Country side adds a little bit of interrest. It is certainly on theme. As a picture I'm not totally sure. I think a crop off the left hand side and just a smidge on the bottom to lose the grey bit, might help make the main pylon stand out. Lower part of the pic is a little under exposed.

Nowt wrong with exposure for me, all pylons standing straight, foreground is in shadow which helps your eye get pulled down the lovely sweep of the cables through to the lovely light on the hills beyond,

Good job. (y)

Hi I am a little late to the party of comments, I did however have a quick look at what I have missed some good takes on the themes. Sorry I cant offer crit on all the images, trying to catch up on a few things.

Attached - like Elaine said I to am saddened to see its not the emotional attachment to the bike. And what an amazing bike it is, my only niggles are the pavement the bikes standing on and the number plate. I also can't decide if I'd prefer a different angle on the bike maybe taking us a bit closer to the " attached " mirror .

Hi, I like pylons :)

It's a good angle, decent light/time of day and nice detail.

It does look a little under exposed to me, maybe mainly in the shadows. I had a quick edit and increased the shadows and warmed it up a bit and liked it even better.

Cheers.

Hiya Phil. Great idea for the theme: difficult to imagine a shot which is any more on theme :)

I love the composition with the cables sweeping in from the corner and pylons over on the right balancing it nicely.

My only comment would be the sky is quite dominant and not as exciting as it could be. It's one of those shots where if you were able to get it at sunrise/sunset, it would be an absolute belter. As it is, it's still a good shot which is well thought out!

Hi Phil

Yeah liking this, The cables/pylons coming in from the top left decreasing in size rapidly really sets off the scale of the valley, a bit more contrast in the clouds and sky would finish it off nicely for me, exposure wise I think it's fine, good uprights too, perfect for the theme (y)

Hi Phil, 21 pylons :beer:might be half that amount,
a nice idea and a perfect location for them, did think about it myself, glad I didn't can't compete with pylon city there, exposure looks fine to me,
they blend in fine don't they :whistle:

Thanks Alan, viewed large on flickr I'm still getting conflicting amounts
shakingh.gif
:confused: :D

Hi Phill, 20 pylons I think! It starts playing havoc with my eyes though! Country side adds a little bit of interrest. It is certainly on theme. As a picture I'm not totally sure. I think a crop off the left hand side and just a smidge on the bottom to lose the grey bit, might help make the main pylon stand out. Lower part of the pic is a little under exposed.

Thanks Michael

Nowt wrong with exposure for me, all pylons standing straight, foreground is in shadow which helps your eye get pulled down the lovely sweep of the cables through to the lovely light on the hills beyond,

Good job. (y)

Thanks Graham :)

Hi I am a little late to the party of comments, I did however have a quick look at what I have missed some good takes on the themes. Sorry I cant offer crit on all the images, trying to catch up on a few things.

Attached - like Elaine said I to am saddened to see its not the emotional attachment to the bike. And what an amazing bike it is, my only niggles are the pavement the bikes standing on and the number plate. I also can't decide if I'd prefer a different angle on the bike maybe taking us a bit closer to the " attached " mirror .

Thanks Mandy :).......it could be yours ;) :whistle:

Hi, I like pylons :)

It's a good angle, decent light/time of day and nice detail.

It does look a little under exposed to me, maybe mainly in the shadows. I had a quick edit and increased the shadows and warmed it up a bit and liked it even better.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Phil ....couldn't resist counting ...there's 20 I think :confused:

I do agree they're a blot on the landscape (although I do like wind turbines :eek:) I really like the POV with the pylons disappearing into the very far distance.....an excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie, why are they so hard to count! :confused: :D

Hiya Phil. Great idea for the theme: difficult to imagine a shot which is any more on theme :)

I love the composition with the cables sweeping in from the corner and pylons over on the right balancing it nicely.

My only comment would be the sky is quite dominant and not as exciting as it could be. It's one of those shots where if you were able to get it at sunrise/sunset, it would be an absolute belter. As it is, it's still a good shot which is well thought out!

Thanks Paul

Hi Phil

Yeah liking this, The cables/pylons coming in from the top left decreasing in size rapidly really sets off the scale of the valley, a bit more contrast in the clouds and sky would finish it off nicely for me, exposure wise I think it's fine, good uprights too, perfect for the theme (y)

Thanks DK

Energy - lovely Image and certainly fits the theme, good composition and colours.

Thanks again Mandy :)

Week 49 :eek:

I was inspired by Allan and his earth image but not having the pp skills thought this might be the next best thing.

Since Tuesday they've been threatening us with snow, biggest chance early hours of today, I waited, hoping to wake up to a winter wonder land. I was thinking a nice snowy scene of the Pennines and call it 'A reflection on Winter'................ it never happened :banghead:

Its Friday and felt it was a bit late in the year to be submitting late images, so I've ended up with this. Not 100% happy, I've cloned out the camera and tripod, but its by far from perfect, felt rushed
shrug2.gif
. Its been cloudy, windy and raining all week, then nothing but blue sky :banghead: some nice white fluffy ones would have been good :cool:

Only crop was to make it square,....:thinking:...a bit tight maybe?I couldn't decide. Shot in raw with the usual adjustments to sliders and as mentioned, a bit of poor cloning.

Edit- looking at it on here now, what I should have done is hang a piece of white card behind it to give the image a nice, clean, white background to emphasise the 'round' mirror :banghead:........all this headbanging is making mi head hurt :D

Week 49

Round

TP52 Week 49 Round
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Attached - I like the way that it faces away from the camera and some lovely colours in the bike. I note your comment that the mirror is attached to the handlebars and I would have been tempted to a very tight crop of just the bars and the tank, including the speedo to see the effect.

Energy - I am on the side of 'a bit underexposed' so that there is a loss of pop to the shot. Nice composition with the sweep of the pylons around to the left. i would not know what to do until i did it (!) so I would play around with the shadows/contrast sliders.

Round - don't be so hard on yourself - yes there may be a few glitches but the only one that is at all outstanding for me is the flare in the windows 0- but that just emphasises the beautiful day. Otherwise, lovely colours (y), super comp with enough house, creeper and hills in the b/g. A very good idea and well handled. nice Pennines house you have there.

........i would not know what to do until i did it (!) so I would play around with the shadows/contrast sliders.

Nothing wrong with that Alan.. Often I will whack them to either end to see what happens and in the case of shadows / highlights, to see just how much info is there. How much of it to use is the next step. :)

Phil this ones a cracker. (y) you have done a fine job removing the tripod, I can't even see a hint as to where it was.

Great effect and credit to you for making it in camera. You can do fisheye distortion in PS which would have given a similar effect. For the shot here the crop is just right, the other alternative would be to go really wide and have some context around the mirror. Either works I would imagine.

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Energy....please , if you take another shot with lots of things in it , don't ever ask " how many"....I can't look at the shot without counting :banghead: 25 was my last tally !!!!!!

But I do like the image , the 1st pylon draws you in to the frame & then you get pulled from one pylon to another to another ( counting as you go of course ! ) , good blue sky nice lit on the distant hill & a road snaking through it as well :clap:

Round.....ok , I'll admit , I'm feeling dimmer than normal...fisheye lens ? whatever , it's a good shot & you are being hard on yourself , can't see any tell tale signs of cloning at all (y)

Hi Phil

Attached - I like the way that it faces away from the camera and some lovely colours in the bike. I note your comment that the mirror is attached to the handlebars and I would have been tempted to a very tight crop of just the bars and the tank, including the speedo to see the effect.

Energy - I am on the side of 'a bit underexposed' so that there is a loss of pop to the shot. Nice composition with the sweep of the pylons around to the left. i would not know what to do until i did it (!) so I would play around with the shadows/contrast sliders.

Round - don't be so hard on yourself - yes there may be a few glitches but the only one that is at all outstanding for me is the flare in the windows 0- but that just emphasises the beautiful day. Otherwise, lovely colours (y), super comp with enough house, creeper and hills in the b/g. A very good idea and well handled. nice Pennines house you have there.

Thanks Alan, I think it's more a case of 'not the shot I had in mi head' syndrome, I could see rolling, snow cover Pennine hills :D

Nothing wrong with that Alan.. Often I will whack them to either end to see what happens and in the case of shadows / highlights, to see just how much info is there. How much of it to use is the next step. :)

Phil this ones a cracker. (y) you have done a fine job removing the tripod, I can't even see a hint as to where it was.

Great effect and credit to you for making it in camera. You can do fisheye distortion in PS which would have given a similar effect. For the shot here the crop is just right, the other alternative would be to go really wide and have some context around the mirror. Either works I would imagine.

Thanks Graham

Hi Phil

Energy....please , if you take another shot with lots of things in it , don't ever ask " how many"....I can't look at the shot without counting :banghead: 25 was my last tally !!!!!!

But I do like the image , the 1st pylon draws you in to the frame & then you get pulled from one pylon to another to another ( counting as you go of course ! ) , good blue sky nice lit on the distant hill & a road snaking through it as well :clap:

Round.....ok , I'll admit , I'm feeling dimmer than normal...fisheye lens ? whatever , it's a good shot & you are being hard on yourself , can't see any tell tale signs of cloning at all (y)

:wave: Lynne, thanks :) I'm sure the pylons are breeding, my last count came up with 26 :confused: :D

The 'round' image isn't a fisheye lens, just a 12" convex mirror that I fastened to a clothes prop and stuck in the ground

@overbez and @blondie606, thanks, your too kind about the cloning, if you know where to look its quite obvious, viewed large, look at the door and glass panel, it looks terrible
shakingh.gif
:D

Hi Phil, agree with the above comments its a good shot and works well for the theme, cant see the cloning either and I have looked at it large, great use of the mirror too

Phil that is a great shot and I'm even more impressed having read the above comment of 'how it was done'. Framing is great ...the black is excellent ...a smashing choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie :)

Hi Phil, agree with the above comments its a good shot and works well for the theme, cant see the cloning either and I have looked at it large, great use of the mirror too

Cheers Allan

Hey Phil :)

Round - What a cracker that is mate !!! I can't quite make out what you used for this (Not read any text or comments) but it's a great idea/effect, the dark background and square crop frame it nicely too (y)

Cheers DK, its the reflection in a 12" convex mirror :)

Round - perfect take for the theme.

Thanks Mandy

Back