weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Many years ago, I was told by an old salty sea dog of a sailor, that if you were ever lost at sea, equipment damage, no stars to be seen, there was a very ingenious way to find North :cool:

You need a length of chain, exactly 25 links long, no more, no less and a giant magnet. you lay the chain out and run the magnet along its full length between 70 to 80 times. You then hold the chain in one hand by the last few links, as you turn around slowly, when facing exactly north the chain will suddenly straighten out in front of you, due to the earth's natural magnetic pull and the fact you have magnetised the chain :clap:

So here's my image of that exact science in action. Inspired by Graham @overbez, this time. I've used his idea of balancing the magnetised chain in the wood.......and yes, it really is balanced, although I did have trouble with the wind :rolleyes:

No cloning at all (honestly) shot in raw, usual adjustment of sliders and a slight crop. Not much I could do about composition as the chain has to be facing north to stand out straight :)

Week 50.....nearly there :banana:

Home made magnetic chain compass, that works, but makes no- sense.......:thinking:...........or maybe just nonsense? :p

Week 50- Nonsense

TP52 Week 50 Nonsense
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil, thats odd to say the least, well the old salty sea dog story o_O a difficult theme but that works for me

love the story behind it :LOL:

Outstanding Phil.... I think you've made light work of the hardest theme we've had since "whimsical" came out the bag last year.

Super straight chain, obv a very strong magnetic effect where you are. :)

Any compositional tweak suggestions would seem churlish here, and are more than offset by the accompanying tale. :clap:

Hi Phil, thats odd to say the least, well the old salty sea dog story o_O a difficult theme but that works for me

love the story behind it :LOL:

Thanks Allan :angelic: :D

Outstanding Phil.... I think you've made light work of the hardest theme we've had since "whimsical" came out the bag last year.

Super straight chain, obv a very strong magnetic effect where you are. :)

Any compositional tweak suggestions would seem churlish here, and are more than offset by the accompanying tale. :clap:

Thanks Graham........its down to living up north on top of a hill :p

First - These are great for a first attempt at domes. I do like to see them with some context around them so I'll go for #1 as their a little more floor than the other. I really like the electric blue colour.

Smooth - I prefer #2 as it's more consistent in the blur. An interesting couple of entries that made me read further down to see what they were.

Attached - I wouldn't have got the connection with theme until I read back to see what you'd said. Good starburst effect but for me I wanted to see more of the side of the bike

Energy - I'm always a fan of electricity pylons and I like this vista. I think I'd like to see the exposure on the land lifted a bit which I free might strengthen the image. Either that or a gritty B&W.

Round - I feel the tight crop around the circle works well on this on. I'm wondering if you could have cloned out the telephone wires?

Nonsense - Super explanation for this one. The obvious diagonal draws my eye upwards right towards the background fence.

First - These are great for a first attempt at domes. I do like to see them with some context around them so I'll go for #1 as their a little more floor than the other. I really like the electric blue colour.

Smooth - I prefer #2 as it's more consistent in the blur. An interesting couple of entries that made me read further down to see what they were.

Attached - I wouldn't have got the connection with theme until I read back to see what you'd said. Good starburst effect but for me I wanted to see more of the side of the bike

Energy - I'm always a fan of electricity pylons and I like this vista. I think I'd like to see the exposure on the land lifted a bit which I free might strengthen the image. Either that or a gritty B&W.

Round - I feel the tight crop around the circle works well on this on. I'm wondering if you could have cloned out the telephone wires?

Nonsense - Super explanation for this one. The obvious diagonal draws my eye upwards right towards the background fence.

Thanks Peter, catch up appreciated :)

Nonsense - a great explanation for the theme and it sounds like a good old bit of Nonsense to me. I really like the image a good job done on it not convinced on the no cloning :p.

Thanks Mandy.......I talk nonsense you say! :bat: :whistle: :D ...........but not about the 'no cloning', there really isn't any :p

Damn How clever is that :clap:

Really good explanation and well set up, if you could loose the fence I wouldn't be ab;e to fault it... fantastic effort Phil (y)

Thanks DK, I did think about cloning it out with the grass, but there really isn't any cloning and wanted to leave it that way :p

Nonsense, you made that. I struggle changing a bloody fuse!

Works well. I see where Peter's coming from when he refers to the diagonals, but I'd prefer a cleaner BG.

Cheers.

nonsense, magic and a first-rate photograph.

Cheers d00d

Is that your house??? When we having a TP meet there :clap:

Why does your 2nd question make me want to answer no to the 1st :p

On theme and well exposed. Cloning doesn't look bad to me.

Cheers.

Cheers

Nonsense, you made that. I struggle changing a bloody fuse!

Works well. I see where Peter's coming from when he refers to the diagonals, but I'd prefer a cleaner BG.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, its easy to make, just get the right length of chain,a large magnet and follow the instructions above ;)

Hiya Phil... well at first I thought it was a curved round window which would have made it a good shot but the fact you've shot the reflected image from a mirror and then cloned the camera out is very well done.

I like the glare from the windows as well... it definitely adds to the image. Focus, DOF and exposure all spot on - really solid technical shot and perfectly one theme. Well done!

Nonses... what a superb tale! Love it :) Picture is very nicely done: nicking the wineholder idea from... erm... was it Andy or Graham or Allan maybe?? Can't remember now. Nicely lit chain and really straight too - you must have done an extra few turns with the magnet I guess.

All in all, a cracking shot with a great back story. And utterly on theme!

Hiya Phil... well at first I thought it was a curved round window which would have made it a good shot but the fact you've shot the reflected image from a mirror and then cloned the camera out is very well done.

I like the glare from the windows as well... it definitely adds to the image. Focus, DOF and exposure all spot on - really solid technical shot and perfectly one theme. Well done!

Nonses... what a superb tale! Love it :) Picture is very nicely done: nicking the wineholder idea from... erm... was it Andy or Graham or Allan maybe?? Can't remember now. Nicely lit chain and really straight too - you must have done an extra few turns with the magnet I guess.

All in all, a cracking shot with a great back story. And utterly on theme!

Thanks Paul, yes, wine holder idea pinched off Graham.....although I prefer 'inspired by' :p

Wonderfully nonsensical Phil... I love the explanation :cool: and it's an excellent shot too :)

Thanks Susie :)

Week 51 :eek:....don't know whether to be happy or sad :thinking:

Extravagant, well setting a Christmas pud on fire in our house would be, its something we never do, no-one likes brandy :puke: :D

Shot in raw, as usual, bit of adjustment in ACR and just a touch of cloning middle, top of image.

I'm a little unsure on this, I wanted some nice bokeh, but wondered if its a little too much :thinking: puds a bit central, but without the other green chritmasy light thing on the left, it just seemed to lack sumot
shrug2.gif
table cloths a bit ruffled too, both sides of the dish, never spotted it till the image was on mi lappy
3f82d.gif

Honest comments and crit very welcome :)

TP52 Week 51 Extravagant
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hey Phil :)

Extravagant - I think you have covered any issues witht eh cloth and green thing to the left, I actually like the brightness of the bokeh, the flame of the pud still stands out loads, I can't work out what the green thing is on the left but agree it would look empty without, the tree would look odd central too so think it's good as is, all in all a nice festive take (y)

Hi Phil, a very seasonal submission there. I might have tried to get the bokeh over the pudding and maybe a little fill flash on the front side of the pud, but it works for me.

Cheers.

Love it ... all perfect except for the ruffled cloth.

Enjoy.

Hi Phil, very seasonal and very colourful, bit more light on the pudding, a bit picky I Know, I like the right hand side bokeh the left thing is a little odd

really like the colour in this (y)

Hi Phil - really super idea there and nicely in theme for me. I love the bokeh, I don't mind the green thing (too much) and I think you've done a super job of capturing a very elusive blue alcohol flame! Sure, a tiny bit more side lighting on the sides of the pudding would really top it off (almost hairlight type setup from behind the scene)... but I don't know about adding any fill flash as that might swamp the flame because of the light levels? Dunno, but any which way I do quite like the near silhouette of the pud (y)

Hi Phil

Nonsense.....OMG! I'm still struggling to get my head round Grahams original use of the wood as a wine holder and now you've completely blown my mind with this use for it & added in extra confusion of a chain that you've magnetised .....:runaway: Cracking shot mister with a brilliant back story :clap:

Extravagant ......try using whiskey on the pud if your lot don't like brandy :D you've mentioned your own crit ,they only little thing for me would be a smidge more light on the front of the pud but that's a minor point as I love the bokeh effects & the cracking blue flame :clap:

Well done Phil, this sort of shot always looks easier than it actually is, the relative distances and making sure you don;t get things in you don;t want etc. But this has come out pretty much as I imagine you;d have imagined it. o_O :LOL:

You have the flame, which is the important bit, and the bokeh from the tree lights is great, I could live without the green arc on the left but it's not a big deal.

One more to go :banana:.

Hey Phil :)

Extravagant - I think you have covered any issues witht eh cloth and green thing to the left, I actually like the brightness of the bokeh, the flame of the pud still stands out loads, I can't work out what the green thing is on the left but agree it would look empty without, the tree would look odd central too so think it's good as is, all in all a nice festive take (y)

Thanks DK

Super Christmassy shot there Phil ... I love the bright bokeh ...you must have poured plenty of brandy on to to get that flame going ...yummy :)

Thanks Susie, yes loads :)..........and I'm going to have to eat my words, we ate the pud, brandy and all, it wasn't actually that strong a taste and you were right, it was yummy :D

Hi Phil, a very seasonal submission there. I might have tried to get the bokeh over the pudding and maybe a little fill flash on the front side of the pud, but it works for me.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Love it ... all perfect except for the ruffled cloth.

Enjoy.

Cheers David

Hi Phil, very seasonal and very colourful, bit more light on the pudding, a bit picky I Know, I like the right hand side bokeh the left thing is a little odd

really like the colour in this (y)

Thanks Allan

Hi Phil - really super idea there and nicely in theme for me. I love the bokeh, I don't mind the green thing (too much) and I think you've done a super job of capturing a very elusive blue alcohol flame! Sure, a tiny bit more side lighting on the sides of the pudding would really top it off (almost hairlight type setup from behind the scene)... but I don't know about adding any fill flash as that might swamp the flame because of the light levels? Dunno, but any which way I do quite like the near silhouette of the pud (y)

Cheers Paul

Hi Phil

Nonsense.....OMG! I'm still struggling to get my head round Grahams original use of the wood as a wine holder and now you've completely blown my mind with this use for it & added in extra confusion of a chain that you've magnetised .....:runaway: Cracking shot mister with a brilliant back story :clap:

Extravagant ......try using whiskey on the pud if your lot don't like brandy :D you've mentioned your own crit ,they only little thing for me would be a smidge more light on the front of the pud but that's a minor point as I love the bokeh effects & the cracking blue flame :clap:

Thanks Lynne, us daughters took the 'magnetised chain' ;) and the wood holder, she has it on a window sill at her house, looks quite impressive even if I do say so mi self :D .....obviously its facing north, it wouldn't work other wise o_O :whistle: :LOL:

As for whisky, even more :puke:, drinking's cheap at our house, a pint of smooth for me, a cider for the missus :D

Well done Phil, this sort of shot always looks easier than it actually is, the relative distances and making sure you don;t get things in you don;t want etc. But this has come out pretty much as I imagine you;d have imagined it. o_O :LOL:

You have the flame, which is the important bit, and the bokeh from the tree lights is great, I could live without the green arc on the left but it's not a big deal.

One more to go :banana:.

Thanks Graham

I do agree about it needing a bit of light down the left, the lighting I used was fairly simple..........it was lit by the telly from the right :LOL: I've bought a cheap flash from out of the classifieds last week, haven't had time for a play with it yet, but looking forward to it :)

The green thing is one of them fibre optic things, the missus likes a couple on the table for when we have us dinner today :rolleyes: :D, it actually does look a little strange being that much oof, I couldn't mek mi mind up, took a cpl with it in and out, ended up going with it in :)

Thanks for the all the comments :)

52.thumb.jpg

In the words of Graham @overbez 'your only cheating yourself' :whistle: .......I know!:p :D

I had this shot in mind as soon as I read the theme was 'support' so instead of trailing all the way to the bridge again I dug this archive shot out, taken with the D70 on 3rd March this year :angelic:

It's Rakewood Viaduct that carries the M62 over the valley half way down Windy Hill. If your into bridges (like I'd be that sad :whistle:) its quite impressive, the middle concrete supports being 140 ft high. Shame really that the image looses' the sense of scale.

The usual adjustments in ACR, cloned a bit of litter out, no crop.

No comments necessary on this please seeing as its an archive image :)

Good luck to everyone doing next years TP 52 hope you all enjoy it as much as I have this year :)

Week 52 Support...............and finished :woot:

TP52 Week 52 Support
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another one over the line.. (y)

Well done for sticking it out Phil. All the best for next year..

Hi Phil

nonsense - good backstory and good technique producing the chain and taking ths shot.
Extravagant - like the colours and the focus and the exposure. You have commented on the comp and that would be my only thought, that there could be more separation between the green thing and the balls with the pud slightly further left. But prob impossible given the static nature of the b/g features.
Support - well it finishes the Challenge for you and it is nice to see such bright light and colours in these dark dismal days of winter. Really like the offset comp of the columns which is unusual and complemented by the strong dark shadow running diagonally thro the shot drawing the eye to the top of the hill and the junction of the bridge, the hill and the shadow(y)

Happy New Year

Very impressive support work! A good end to the year.

Support ... Oh I like that. I've been thinking about doing something similar with Westway supports here in west London but no I can't compete with that.

Interesting off-centre POV and of course those shadows. (y)

Hiya Phil

A good shot with plenty going on. If anything, perhaps a tiny bit too much, but that's quibbling over things a bit. Your symmetry of the bridge works really well and an interesting juxtaposition with the hard shadow from a sun which looks to be pretty high in the sky still. I'd love to see the same shot with the sun lower in the sky (maybe even behind you?) but it's a solid shot and nicely on theme.

Best of all, a massive well done on completing this 52 - nicely done with some fab images along the way. A big hurrah to all who've finished so far :banana::clap:

Ah, well, it's over so I'll forgive your archive submission :)

It's a belter. Symmetry would be the way forward here and I'm glad you didn't go that way. The diagonal shadow really does take it ti another level.

't's been a pleasure Phil and I'll see ya on the next T meet (y)

Cheers.

Another one over the line.. (y)

Well done for sticking it out Phil. All the best for next year..

Thanks Graham, the time you've took to give advice through out the year has been much appreciated ........I even started to enjoy the tech talk (y) :D

Hi Phil

nonsense - good backstory and good technique producing the chain and taking ths shot.
Extravagant - like the colours and the focus and the exposure. You have commented on the comp and that would be my only thought, that there could be more separation between the green thing and the balls with the pud slightly further left. But prob impossible given the static nature of the b/g features.
Support - well it finishes the Challenge for you and it is nice to see such bright light and colours in these dark dismal days of winter. Really like the offset comp of the columns which is unusual and complemented by the strong dark shadow running diagonally thro the shot drawing the eye to the top of the hill and the junction of the bridge, the hill and the shadow(y)

Happy New Year

Thanks Alan

Hi Phil, Well done for finishing, its been a pleasure

Have a good new year :)

Thanks Allan

Same from me Phil ....well done for reaching the finishing line and all the best for 2015 :)

Thanks Susie :)

Perfect image to finish your 2014 - 52 with Phil :clap:

All the best for 2015 mate (y)

Thanks DK

Very impressive support work! A good end to the year.

Thanks Elaine :)

Support ... Oh I like that. I've been thinking about doing something similar with Westway supports here in west London but no I can't compete with that.

Interesting off-centre POV and of course those shadows. (y)

Thanks David d00d

Well done for completing your 2014 52 challenge it's been fun following you and you have contributed some great images for your challenge. I hope you have a fantastic 2015.

Thanks Mandy :)

Hiya Phil

A good shot with plenty going on. If anything, perhaps a tiny bit too much, but that's quibbling over things a bit. Your symmetry of the bridge works really well and an interesting juxtaposition with the hard shadow from a sun which looks to be pretty high in the sky still. I'd love to see the same shot with the sun lower in the sky (maybe even behind you?) but it's a solid shot and nicely on theme.

Best of all, a massive well done on completing this 52 - nicely done with some fab images along the way. A big hurrah to all who've finished so far :banana::clap:

Thanks Paul

Ah, well, it's over so I'll forgive your archive submission :)

It's a belter. Symmetry would be the way forward here and I'm glad you didn't go that way. The diagonal shadow really does take it ti another level.

't's been a pleasure Phil and I'll see ya on the next T meet (y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, yep catch up with you on the next meet (y)

As always, all comments much appreciated :) I'm certainly going to miss the TP'52 next year and all the regulars that have made it such a pleasure :)

Happy New Year and wishing everyone all the best for 2015 :banana:

Hi Phil.....

well done on sticking with it & making it to week 52.....loved your shots this year , don't be a stranger next year (y)

Wishing you all the best for 2015 :wave:

Thanks for all your support this year Lynne, I know I keep saying it :D, but it really has been appreciated :)

I'll certainly be popping in, I won't be able to bide :LOL:

Happy New Year, atb for 2015 :wave:

Back