weekly Phil the Juggler's 2016_16 - Week 7 - Danger(ous)

Week 7 - Dangerous

A little late with this one - apologies! Went for a walk around Richmond (N.Yorks) and saw the river (Swale) running and an alarming rate. First attempt with a fast shutter speed was totally lacking in drama, so decided to balance my camera on a rock and aim for a longer exposure to blur the water and give a sense of movement.

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Hi Phil :)

Camouflaged - Now that is a great image again, I love the expanse of black background, and thanks for sharing your set-up, really like that :)

Dangerous - Some cracking movement caught in that water Phil, I like the low point of view, and the diagonal flow of the river, nice one :)

Last edited:
Lovely silky smooth water movement without losing the sense that it is dangerous. Agree entirely with DK about the POV and diagonal flow. :clap:

Hi Phil, nice B&W shot for Dangerous. The milky water doesn't perhaps convey as much sense of danger as a freeze-frame capture of a huge crashing wave (thinking DK's shot there) but aside from the theme I think your image is a very appealing photo. Composition works well for me, and the technicals are obviously well thought out to capture the motion in just the right way (just the right amount of blur). Processing is effective, although maybe the highlights could be emphasised a touch more without blowing the white point? Great image :)

It's a dramatic photo. I think the blur on the water makes it look like it's flowing very fast, but no less dangerous.

I didn't previously congratulate you on your abandoned shot either, although I clearly should have.

Interesting take on the theme there Phil.
The fast flow has been captured quite well in the silky water, but I originally felt that a faster shutter speed would have captured more drama. However, you've explained that it didn't, so fair play in getting something that does show the anger of the water.
B&W processing does seem to suit it.

Hi Phil :)

Camouflaged - Now that is a great image again, I love the expanse of black background, and thanks for sharing your set-up, really like that :)

Dangerous - Some cracking movement caught in that water Phil, I like the low point of view, and the diagonal flow of the river, nice one :)
He says it all, on both counts. :D

Hi Phil, liking the B&W of your dangerous shot, certainly looks like fast moving water.

Abandoned - Great street shot
Camouflage - Great shot and interesting insight in to how you did it
Danger - plenty of movement in the water interesting shot

Back