weekly Phil the Juggler's 2016_16 - Week 7 - Danger(ous)

Many thanks for all your kind comments - I will reciprocate by looking at all your '52's over the coming couple of days!

Week 5 - Abandoned
p1740293752.jpg

Canon 1DsIII, 85mm f/1.2 @ 1/100s f/1.2, ISO 1600

Week 5 - Abandoned

I've had a really busy week travelling around and hoped to see some abandoned farmhouse that would be photogenic. I failed to see any such place, but after grabbing a meal in a restaurant I saw this gentleman begging outside Tesco's.

His look of sadness made me feel he had been abandoned by the human race and I was struck by the warmth in his smile when he was offered a hot snack by a passing shopper.

Last edited:
Hi Phil, your Happy image is funny, really like the image ofr the Adandoned theme, you managed to capture a sense of being lost in the big bad world, Good processing and Dof

Last edited:
Good shot on the abandoned theme, Phil. Definite plus is the subject, lighting and DoF with the bollards at the front out of focus.

DoF also adds to the isolated feel to the shot which is perfect. No crit from me, I like it as it is :)

Happy - Like the composition with the gravestones and tower in the background. Good details in the skull as well.

Abandoned - Think you have nailed this one. A shot that is both beautiful yet so sad at the same time.

Hi Phil. A visual comment on the harsh realities of humanity. Great response to the theme and so well taken

Great image for Abandoned, well captured, I like the brownish tint to the image . F 1.2 wow, I would never even think about going there but it really works.

When I thought about the task, I had a tramp in my mind but I found simple abandoned building instead.

I look love you provide the techy comments, its really useful to a novice like me. I wish more people did it. :)

Happy - creepy but original take on the theme :clap:

Abandoned - great capture and good Dof, but I just can't help feeling that there's a little bit too much pavement at the bottom and wonder what it would be liked cropped at the end of the windows. But maybe that's just me o_O

Sorry Phil another thread I've missed

Metal - Love it great take on the theme

Captive - Great image well thought out and lit

Miniature - Nice not sure I'm keen on the BG

Happy - A very different take on the theme I like it great DOF throwing the BG out just enough

Abandoned - WOW there is no crit needed on this one it certainly says abandoned and is my favourite of your set so far

Many thanks all for the positive crit!

Hi Phil. A visual comment on the harsh realities of humanity. Great response to the theme and so well taken

Thank you - it was fascinating observing him. It was as though sad and happy memories were flowing through him - smiled one minute, looked thoughtful the next.

I look love you provide the techy comments, its really useful to a novice like me. I wish more people did it. :)

Glad you find them useful - I try to give the idea behind the shots and also the technique / settings.

Happy - creepy but original take on the theme :clap:

Abandoned - great capture and good Dof, but I just can't help feeling that there's a little bit too much pavement at the bottom and wonder what it would be liked cropped at the end of the windows. But maybe that's just me o_O

I tried cropping in more but the shot lost some of its depth.

That's a very strong shot for abandoned - I like the pavement space at the bottom of the frame and the way the bollards and bike cut through the shot - it creates a feeling of distance & separation and at the same time a sense of being trapped? A powerful commentary - thank you for the background to the shot too, he looks so deep in thought here - I'm glad you mentioned his warm smile, too.

Happy is a great image, absolutely love the composition, DoF and processing.
Abandoned is a very powerful image, you've really captured a moment there.
Great stuff.

Hi Phil

Liking the skull in the happy image, although the church tower looks like a cardboard cut-out :D - love the DoF and the detail on the skull :)

Abandoned - Really like this one, the low PoV makes it for me, being down at his level helps bring some extra closeness/focus on the chap for me, liking that it is a twilight image too rather than a busy daytime (y)

Week 6 - Camouflage(d)

p1858691081-6.jpg

Camera model:Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Focal length:45 mm
Max lens aperture:f/4
Exposure:1/125 at f/7.1
Flash:Not fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 100

Last edited:
Week 6 - Camouflage(d)

My original idea for this week was to head over my local reptile house and grab some shots of chameleons. I used to keep / breed snakes and that's what originally got me into photography. I went over to the shop, but wasn't inspired so instead tried to do a product-style shot of my black telecaster and black amp 'hiding' in a black background. To add to the overall 'blackness' the Amp model happens to be 'Blackstar'!

This is how I set up the shot:
p1818137614-3.jpg

Basically a single gridded beauty dish (my favourite lighting accessory) powered by a Lencarta ElitePro2.

Originally I had the dish camera left, but you could see the reflection in the telecaster:

p1815724330-3.jpg

Moving the dish to the other side solved the problem. I increased canvas size in Photoshop and trimmed to put the guitar on the right hand third.

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Lighting looks perfect Phil - a nice spot highlight on guitar and amp. Looks quality against the black bg. :clap:

I was certain I'd commented on yours before now!! Sorry :oops: :$

Metal - nice gritty, low key shot. Composition works really well and lighting just complements the subject matter. DOF choice is spot on for me - really well done for what must have been a tricky shot to get right.
Captive - wonderful. Lighting is absolutely superb! Really enjoy reading about your rig setup there as well. I'm scared to get a beauty dish because I hear they show every little detail but your image has me rethinking that, as it's actually a surprisingly flattering picture (in the circumstances!!) That might seem an odd comment to make, but I mean it in a good way! o_O
Miniature - tough lighting setup there with the little glossy pig. It has perhaps lost a touch of "form" for me, but given the difficult subject I think you've done far better than I ever could! Well done. Love the composition too and the way the little pig is looking up at the big pig.
Happy - made me smile! A bit HDR for my liking, but an effective image. Stacking the shots has created something slightly unnatural looking, which is probably the intention and it works well!
Abandoned - what a poignant shot. Processing is spot on, as is composition. A cracking street photo.
Camouflage - what a great product shot. Lighting works so well and I never would have guessed it was lit from a single source. I particularly like that you've managed to get some rim lighting on the right edge (as we look) of the guitar - I would have assumed there was a kicker to add that but well done on doing it with a single light.

Some great, great shots there, Phil.

Love the camouflage shot and knowing what went into it is very interesting. No critique at all I'm afraid as I doubt I could get anywhere near replicating that shot!

Camouflage.
Love the composition, but the impact of such a good shot is spoiled a little for me by the signature.

Lovely lighting and a really nice black background. I'd agree with Ruth's comment on the signature, not sure it does the shot justice.

I was certain I'd commented on yours before now!! Sorry :oops: :$

Metal - nice gritty, low key shot. Composition works really well and lighting just complements the subject matter. DOF choice is spot on for me - really well done for what must have been a tricky shot to get right.
Captive - wonderful. Lighting is absolutely superb! Really enjoy reading about your rig setup there as well. I'm scared to get a beauty dish because I hear they show every little detail but your image has me rethinking that, as it's actually a surprisingly flattering picture (in the circumstances!!) That might seem an odd comment to make, but I mean it in a good way! o_O
Miniature - tough lighting setup there with the little glossy pig. It has perhaps lost a touch of "form" for me, but given the difficult subject I think you've done far better than I ever could! Well done. Love the composition too and the way the little pig is looking up at the big pig.
Happy - made me smile! A bit HDR for my liking, but an effective image. Stacking the shots has created something slightly unnatural looking, which is probably the intention and it works well!
Abandoned - what a poignant shot. Processing is spot on, as is composition. A cracking street photo.
Camouflage - what a great product shot. Lighting works so well and I never would have guessed it was lit from a single source. I particularly like that you've managed to get some rim lighting on the right edge (as we look) of the guitar - I would have assumed there was a kicker to add that but well done on doing it with a single light.

Some great, great shots there, Phil.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to comment - glad you like the shots!

Camouflage.
Love the composition, but the impact of such a good shot is spoiled a little for me by the signature.

Lovely lighting and a really nice black background. I'd agree with Ruth's comment on the signature, not sure it does the shot justice.

Ok - removing now - just for you!

Phil

Camouflage - great looking guitar and amp, I was going to ask if it was a tele..... Until I read further down the thread. My fender is in need of a bit of tlc, the first image I like for composition, and the way it's lit up does blend nicely into the black background.

Week 7 - Dangerous
p1760690226-6.jpg

Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Focal length:16 mm
Max lens aperture:f/4
Exposure:2s at f/22
Flash:Not fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Auto
Exposure prog.:Aperture priority
ISO speed:ISO 50